Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2 year deal at 6.5m where the first year is 4m and then second year is 9m so that if the team wants to qualify him on the next contract it costs them 9m, or he gets to go to ufa. Take a cheap deal now to help the team, and cash in in a few years.

Similar to the Time Meier contract where he signed for slightly cheaper than market value to keep the cap down, but the last year of the contract is 10m so the qualifying offer is high.

I'm not smart enough to go through the revised CBA but I thought the bolded was eliminated, primarily because most teams are going to structure their contracts this way for fear of a season or two of no or limited crowds.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'm not smart enough to go through the revised CBA but I thought the bolded was eliminated, primarily because most teams are going to structure their contracts this way for fear of a season or two of no or limited crowds.

Oh? I didn't check this year's revisions so I could be wrong

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Braydon Point signed a 6.3 x 3 year contract under the same cap %. He's the comparable I am looking at. I believe the tax laws are slightly better in Florida. So 6.5 x 3 or thereabouts should get it done.

Isles have 41.05M coming off the books in 2 years. They will have a tonne of capspace in 2 years time.

Reactions: buud and Kevin27NYI

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Braydon Point signed a 6.3 x 3 year contract under the same cap %. He's the comparable I am looking at. I believe the tax laws are slightly better in Florida. So 6.5 x 3 or thereabouts should get it done.

Isles have 41.05M coming off the books in 2 years. They will have a tonne of capspace in 2 years time.

We're not Tampa. Tampa's taxes (income and property) are significantly lower. You get to live near the beach during the winter, play on one of the best teams in the league, have a real shot at the cup, the Lightning have been really big in the area for years now but still not living under the microscope on an individual level. There's a reason why we've failed to sign big UFA after big UFA after big UFA. Maybe that will change after the culture of the team is turning around...but we're a long ways away from removing the stink this franchise has had since the mid/late 90's.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We're not Tampa. Tampa's taxes (income and property) are significantly lower. You get to live near the beach during the winter, play on one of the best teams in the league, have a real shot at the cup, the Lightning have been really big in the area for years now but still not living under the microscope on an individual level. There's a reason why we've failed to sign big UFA after big UFA after big UFA. Maybe that will change after the culture of the team is turning around...but we're a long ways away from removing the stink this franchise has had since the mid/late 90's.
The tax benefit is a factor, not a driver, otherwise, you would see players in all sports prioritizing tax favorable states over non-tax favorable states. However, that doesn’t happen. Considering players get taxed where they play, that benefit is really only 50% what it is perceived to be.

Players wanted to play for ANA, LAK, BOS, NYR, which are not tax advantages places.

Remember, a player only gets this benefit when they are on such a team like TB. The second TB trades them to say another team,
guess what benefit they are losing? Yup, that tax thing.

It’s a nice argument for the team, however,
it’s a lot of risk on the player to leave money on the table in case they end up on another team.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The tax benefit is a factor, not a driver, otherwise, you would see players in all sports prioritizing tax favorable states over non-tax favorable states. However, that doesn’t happen. Considering players get taxed where they play, that benefit is really only 50% what it is perceived to be.

Players wanted to play for ANA, LAK, BOS, NYR, which are not tax advantages places.

Remember, a player only gets this benefit when they are on such a team like TB. The second TB trades them to say another team,
guess what benefit they are losing? Yup, that tax thing.

It’s a nice argument for the team, however,
it’s a lot of risk on the player to leave money on the table in case they end up on another team.

You're not wrong but my point was that Tampa is a much more desirable place for NHLers than we are and thus they don't have to pay players as much.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You're not wrong but my point was that Tampa is a much more desirable place for NHLers than we are and thus they don't have to pay players as much.
TB is more desirable because they are a competitive team. They can pay their players 'less' but that's on the player to accept 'less' due to the tax implications.

Taylor Hall went from EDM to NJ to AZ to BUF. That doesn't seem like a tax strategy to me...

Reactions: buud

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
TB is more desirable because they are a competitive team. They can pay their players 'less' but that's on the player to accept 'less' due to the tax implications.

Taylor Hall went from EDM to NJ to AZ to BUF. That doesn't seem like a tax strategy to me...

He signed in Buffalo...doesn't really seem to be because he wanted to be on a competitive team either (with all due respect to Buffalo and Eichel).

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He signed in Buffalo...doesn't really seem to be because he wanted to be on a competitive team either (with all due respect to Buffalo and Eichel).
Hall just seems to be playing the game. Like, going through the motions. He's made plenty of money and after stating the in media he wants to play playoff games, he then signs in BUF, where the playoffs are still a stretch. Certainly, COVID changed things up for the market...but if he really wanted to win, there's plenty of other teams that are much more competitive than BUF. But, he gets the Canadian 'can do no wrong in the media' benefit.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hall just seems to be playing the game. Like, going through the motions. He's made plenty of money and after stating the in media he wants to play playoff games, he then signs in BUF, where the playoffs are still a stretch. Certainly, COVID changed things up for the market...but if he really wanted to win, there's plenty of other teams that are much more competitive than BUF. But, he gets the Canadian 'can do no wrong in the media' benefit.
Could be that he is betting on being flipped to a contender to get those playoff games. Best of both worlds.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Could be that he is betting on being flipped to a contender to get those playoff games. Best of both worlds.
His priority is just to get paid and play. Even though by the time he gets traded to a contender 60-70% of his salary will be paid, there also needs to be competitive teams that have the cap space to absorb him - as we know now, that’s limited, doubtful it gets much better later on.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I would be more critical of Hall's move if he had signed a longterm deal with a league doormat, after making those comments about wanting to win.

His signing in Buffalo did surprise me, but Hall's had some injuries and careers are short. Maybe the more successful teams in the league couldn't come close to Buffalo's offer.
And someone in this discussion pointed out, if the Sabres are not competitive, he gets flipped to a playoff contender.

Then next off season he and his reps hope for better offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad