Matheson punches Pettersson in the head from behind, body slams him to the ice. Pettersson concussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Mike Matheson is lucky his parents didn't name him Tom Wilson or he'd be sitting for 40 games
Mike Matheson is lucky he has no history of being a dirty player and hfboards Canuck fans don’t run dops.

This thread title should be changed to reflect reality.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Didn't realize Pettersson was a star player. (I'm being serious here. He's a good player with talent, but not a STAR player yet ((if ever)). And all players get hit on the ice. Unless we change the rules to no hitting whats so ever.
Original hit was clean. Slamming player to ice on his way down. Not clean. I don’t get why this is so hard. You can’t pretend to care about concussions but then allow plays that have a high likelihood of concussions. I know this is hard for the Rock em Sock them crowd but at some point either stop publishing stories about all the issues these guys deal with after concussions, because we just don’t care as long as we are entertained , or do something about it.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
This wouldn't have been anything had Mattheson just finished his check properly. Maybe Petterson would still be dazed, he was put into the boards hard and he positioned himself there in a dangerous situation to begin with.

What will be looked at is the slew foot/bodyslam. Mattheson had his stick leveraged between Petterson's legs and used that to essentially body slam Petterson to the ice. At the time of play I can't see how the ref didn't call this at least a roughing penalty. You can clearly see the malicious intent with the follow through upon video review. The league needs to continue its stand against this kind of behaviour. What kind of message does it send around to other players if there is no repercussions to hits similar to this one. I would think he gets 3 games for this.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Pfft, just a rough play, I wouldn't think any different if it had happened to a player on the team I cheer for honestly.

I suspect it's a generational difference here with our respective opinion on a matter such as this, I mean that was nothing in terms of what I grew up with but younger fans seem to get all worked up over this and less these days.

Of course that's an an assumption that you are far younger then I am............................which most posters are around here, sadly I will add.

I will say I regret it seems he got hurt on it, that's unfortunate for sure.

It's nothing to do with a generational gap, there was never a time where a forearm to the jaw was the proper way to eliminate an opponent along the wall. Hence why the league is reviewing it, they don't review standard roughing penalties.

Don't try to play the old man card, this wasn't a clean play in any era.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Nothing wrong with the hit, or push to the ice. Only thing wrong i see was the no response from the Canucks. League is way too ****ing soft. Should have been enough to start a brawl.
How does a a hit with nothing wrong with it deserve a brawl to have happened?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The throwdown was bad and an unfortunate outcome. I hope Petterson's okay.

I understand Vancouver wanting a suspension, as would I if the same thing were done to a Kings star prospect.... but objectively, I have a hard time agreeing it should be a suspension.

Reactions: Hunter368

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Big guy rag dolls small guy. Not really anything new. Hockey is a violent sport.

Reactions: jj cale

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The throwdown was bad and an unfortunate outcome. I hope Petterson's okay.

I understand Vancouver wanting a suspension, as would I if the same thing were done to a Kings star prospect.... but objectively, I have a hard time agreeing it should be a suspension.

Agreed

Hit was perfectly fine, throw down maybe 2 mins roughing

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
How does a a hit with nothing wrong with it deserve a brawl to have happened?

Because you don't let your talented players get concussed by plugs from the other team. Looking at Gretsky the wrong way used to be enough to start a brawl. That's why he was left alone. League is too f***ing soft.

Reactions: Sayonara77

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
What's also shocking is people are saying Pettersson 'shouldnt be in the league', like the metric for being worthy of playing in the NHL, the best league in the world, is how 'tough' you are rather than how much skill you have, lmao.

He has 8 points in 5 games and has not looked out of place playing an effective two way game as our 1C, making opponents look silly and treating fans to exciting plays...

He has also been rocked a few times this season and got up from them, because you know why? They were clean. He is also very good at avoiding contact and not putting himself in the situation for it... Here he put his body on the line, and was expecting to get hit, but he wasn't expecting to get ****ing slammed to the ice like that... No player should be expecting a vicious attack like that.

So you tell me, do we restrict world class skill players like Pettersson from the league and let them play in Sweden or Russia instead because they're not 'tough enough', or do we set a precedent that violent, unneeded plays like what Matheson did are not allowed in the NHL?

Do we prioritize skill or targeted attacks out of frustration and anger?

Seems like the LNAH is much more suitable of a league for a lot of people in here... And I guarantee they haven't tuned into one of those games in their life.
People saying he shouldn’t be in the league are saying he’s physically immature. Not that he’s not tough enough.

Can players be physically immature for the nhl?

Wasn’t one of his draft critiques that he needed to add size?

Sounds like you want special rules for underdeveloped players. You can be too small and too weak to play at the highest levels even if skill is there. Florida sent borgstrom down because of this. It’s not unheard of for guys to play another year elsewhere to put on some size.

This also wasn’t a targeted attack. But you and others are very dramatic about an unfortunate play. See OP as exhibit a.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The worst part of this is how many posters here described Matheson as a plug, scrub, nobody, talentless, etc. And once again exposed just how few members here know anything but their own team and a few other stars around the league.
Also that he would be so enranged and embarrassed that he would stab and pile drive an opponent. He’s been beat plenty that he’s used to it and he’s not a dirty player

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
This kids is what happens to young stars when there's no toughness on any of your teams. Let the refs handle it!!!! Powerplays!!!

Nah man, in the good days you'd see your mates handle that ****. Hockey is missing that. Next game some words will be said....

"you better not do something like that again or we'll try to hurt you on the PP!!!!"
That, and in the past a kid like this wouldn't be in the NHL yet, at his size they'd tell him to put on a few lbs and some strength to be able to handle the corners in the NHL. I distinctly remember that being a talking point for Pastrnak his first year, he got manhandled along the boards so mostly stayed out of the scrum but his offseason was all about adding size and strength.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's nothing to do with a generational gap, there was never a time where a forearm to the jaw was the proper way to eliminate an opponent along the wall. Hence why the league is reviewing it, they don't review standard roughing penalties.

Don't try to play the old man card, this wasn't a clean play in any era.
I am not playing any old man card so calm down, you can express your opinion without getting all worked up at me.

Yes, it is indeed a generational gap issue I would say, I didn't even see a forearm to the jaw, I see a forearm to the shoulder.................fair game play, an N.H.L hockey play, at least it used to be among fans.

Look, I don't wanna come across like some Feech Lamanna on the Sopranos always going on about "in my day" but it's true, these type of plays were/are seen completely different then todays generation. If this had of happened in days past it would not have even registered as a suspension thing in fans mind, the attitude after something like that happening would have been...."we'll get the miserable prick next game!!"

Now with the younger fans it is mostly...."OMG!!, can you believe what he just did?, what a cowardly, villainous move!! he should be suspended for 10 games!! etc,etc,etc"

I am not saying one viewpoint is right or wrong really, it's a matter of opinion and how you grew up with the game a lot of times.

A roughing penalty? sure, why not. Suspension worthy? nah.

You don't like the way I see it because of how the game was when I grew up? that's your call.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One reason why you see some rebuilding teams like the Islanders loading up on goons is to create a safer working environment for their scrawnier kids.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
"Welcome to the NHL" move by Matheson. Man strength vs boy strength. Most regular NHL players would not be slammed to the ice like a rag doll like this and land on their noggin. It's not a hockey play though, so worth 2 mins for roughing. Unfortunate, but maybe you shouldn't put 150 pound teenagers on an NHL ice without a deterrent for moves like this on your roster? I blame the Vancouver Canucks for this unfortunate result and hopefully EP won't miss too much time and takes this as a learning experience.
The amount of wrong in this post is insane.

Reactions: Oseductive

Mar 26, 2010
There was no punch to the back of the head. It was a solid hockey play. Pettersson is weak, he needs to bulk up if he wants to play in the NHL.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Wow, just noticed this now. What a piece of crap move from a piece of crap player.

Jan 21, 2018
One reason why you see some rebuilding teams like the Islanders loading up on goons is to create a safer working environment for their scrawnier kids.

there is no defending what the isles did getting 10 different guys to play the same role

pettersson will be fine, he'll put on muscle like any other kid his age.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
There was no punch to the back of the head. It was a solid hockey play. Pettersson is weak, he needs to bulk up if he wants to play in the NHL.

Says a guy who probably loves Marner.

Leaf fans really get their rocks off bashing anything Canucks. Insecure fanbase. If you think driving a player into the ice is clean that's pretty sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad