Matheson punches Pettersson in the head from behind, body slams him to the ice. Pettersson concussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Did you ever see him play? This sounds like a millennial talking out of his ass here because Gretzky had to step onto the ice with classic old school NHL goons like Probert and Domi as well as legendary bone crushers like Stevens at a time when fighting and crushing the crap out of the guy with the puck was something that was expected every game. Clearly you don't understand what the game was like back then when you say this stupid crap, if you can't be bothered to educate yourself about what you're talking about then you should just stick to wearing a fedora for selfies or whatever it is your generation excels at because hockey history isn't it.
Yeah youre one almighty-righty-dude right., Im probably older than you, hehe
Quote of myself ;
"Have no hard time understanding Matheson, its a physical sport, and if someone make you look like a fool whit som fancy moves you make him pay, whit physicality, like a physical-d should. Now if it is a concussion from it, then he should be suspended cause he crossed the line, went overboard whit a cheap shot. And Vancouver should consider hire a goon for Pettersons line to deterrent more concussions in the future . Like Gretzky had in the -80 and -90-s whit Semenko, McSorley etc. No way around it, I think. There is still room/need for the goons in the sport, just make them fight whit the gloves on or something, and the head injuries will be less /

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
B8A2726D-3A65-4658-A038-DF35D7215574.png
Parallel to the ice, is more what happened. If he flipped another 60 degrees and was slammed head-first into the ice then yeah, that'd be egregious and a clear suspension. That's not what happened. Good hard hit of a smaller player who basically got manhandled, the slam at the end was a bit much but otherwise that's just a good hard hit.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I don’t think this should be a suspension, but I also really hope EP is alright. Kid looks like a superstar in the making and it would be shitty if he’s out for any extended period of time. Canucks have a legit star here

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yeah that definitely had some bad intent behind it. Not a good choice by Matheson, could have easily eliminated his man without slamming his head into the ice.

Hopefully Petersson is alright.

Reactions: fivesberg

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm just not seeing it that way at all, sorry. I played defense for 20 years, if you're not bodying a player along the boards with your stick between his legs for leverage then you're not doing it right. Textbook job of pinning the offensive player to the boards, the stick didn't do anything more than gain leverage and EP lost his feet from the hard hit.
Funny to hear the different perspective when you learn the game from inside vs learning the game from watching tv and dissecting stats. Presents an interesting dynamic when dealing with reasonable people you’d level with on anything else, having the complete disconnect, as if you’re speaking two different languages.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Matheson should be suspended on the grounds no Swede has ever expected this to happen on the Ice Surface. Such a beautiful game inEurope is once again marred with Macho men acting tough and trying to "lay the body" instead of playing the game the right way.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What a punk move by Matheson. He got embarassed so he decided to attempt to injure Pettersson. Hopefully it's just a mild concussion. The league should look at this. Pettersson is gonna have to bulk up too.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
EP dangled Matheson so he drove his head into the boards then tackled him to the ice.

EP tried to stand and fell down looking woozy. Left the game hasn’t returned.

First off, in your title, I don't see Matheson punch Pettersson at all in the head from behind. And then you state that he drove his head into the boards (again, not seeing that). So, what play are you talking about?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I'm just not seeing it that way at all, sorry. I played defense for 20 years, if you're not bodying a player along the boards with your stick between his legs for leverage then you're not doing it right. Textbook job of pinning the offensive player to the boards, the stick didn't do anything more than gain leverage and EP lost his feet from the hard hit.
Well sure, as long as you go for a pin and don't go total animal mode like Matheson did. Pettersson would probably have been fine if not for that extra push when he was already falling. And technically, it is a tripping call to sweep your legs off your opponent and very close to a slewfoot if you do it as violently as Matheson did. And all this with intent to injure? Not cool.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I came in here and was feeling ill thinking I would have to defend a Canucks player; what a relief! Nothing wrong with that play but of course the same fans that are saying it was malicious are also the ones that defended Todd Bertuzzi o_O

I’m saying it was malicious and didn’t defend Bertuzzi. I suspect I’m not in the minority, and that you’re thus talking out your ass.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
First Brandon Manning tries to ruin Connor McDavid's career. Now another "Nobody" Mike Matheson is running another budding Superstar. The league has to put a halt to this ASAP. We need to market our stars, not bury them 6 feet under the ice.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I agree and in theory this makes sense but for the growth of the sport, you absolutely have to make sure the stars don’t get hurt.

Look at the other big sports leagues. NFL protects its QBs, basketball protects its stars. The NHL is the only backwards league that essentially supports goons and this could be the start of a transition to a more marketable product.
And no one wants to see the stars get hurt, people watch the games to see the stars and the display of skill out there. When I sit down and watch any game I want to see the Crosbys, the McDavids, Matthews, Marners, Pettersons, etc. etc. play, I could care less about the Mathesons or Wilsons who are not going to make me want to come and sit down and watch a game because they are not that good of players and are just hurting guys who I would want to watch play.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Funny to hear the different perspective when you learn the game from inside vs learning the game from watching tv and dissecting stats. Presents an interesting dynamic when dealing with reasonable people you’d level with on anything else, having the complete disconnect, as if you’re speaking two different languages.

Well, its the same when everyone but old goalies talk goalies. Some goals might look soft when they really arent etc etc.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Punches him in the side of the head??? :laugh: What are you even watching? Matheson throws a pretty unnecessary jab that's at least borderline "roughing", but it's square to the chest.

How do you not see the punch to the head? Re-watch the video in the OP, the whole thing, and focus in on Matheson's left hand as he approaches Pettersson from behind. When he brings his left hand up to body slam him he strikes him right in the side of the head.

How else did Pettersson get a concussion? I don't see where his head was contacted by anything else.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
So Crosby and Malkin are some kind of mythical creatures who can easily stay on their feet if someone puts their stick between their legs, twists the stick and then pushes them? It doesn't matter how strong you are on a move like that, you will fall.

How could Phaneuf not stay on his feet? Is he not strong enough? He wasn't even pushed! Was he sent down for conditioning?

I thought it was really hard not to fall in hockey if someone puts a stick between your legs, I've even seen refs call it a penalty. It must be something new this season I've missed.

The fact that they could have called a 2 minute penalty on it doesn't negate what I stated. Half the crap that happens in scrums along the boards is pretty borderline as far as penalties go. Not that he wouldn't have fallen down, but being stronger on his skates and more physically mature would have mitigated the outcome

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Expecting to see something much worse. Two minute penalty. I see much worse every game, with shots to the head after whistles, etc.
sucks for the player, but he's got to be stronger than that. It's a man's league.

Spurgeon and Granlund used to get treated like that ( and way worse) when they were young. Experience, and spending time in the weight room, will prevent future occurrences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad