Matheson punches Pettersson in the head from behind, body slams him to the ice. Pettersson concussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
How do you not see the punch to the head? Re-watch the video in the OP, the whole thing, and focus in on Matheson's left hand as he approaches Pettersson from behind. When he brings his left hand up to body slam him he strikes him right in the side of the head.

How else did Pettersson get a concussion? I don't see where his head was contacted by anything else.

You don't need contact to the head to get a concussion. Whiplash alone could cause it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How do you not see the punch to the head? Re-watch the video in the OP, the whole thing, and focus in on Matheson's left hand as he approaches Pettersson from behind. When he brings his left hand up to body slam him he strikes him right in the side of the head.

How else did Pettersson get a concussion? I don't see where his head was contacted by anything else.

Yeah I think a few people are missing the secondary contact. He engaged Pettersson and then snapped his head back with a punch/forearm shiver, wasn't exactly sneaky.

Reactions: fivesberg

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah I think a few people are missing the secondary contact. He engaged Pettersson and then snapped his head back with a punch/forearm shiver, wasn't exactly sneaky.

If we had another angle of the play I think it would be very clear that Matheson lead with a puncher/forearm shiver to the face before he body slammed EP.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica

Two things: 1. left arm swung to EP's chest, he gained forward leverage there and rear leverage with the stick between the legs. If he had pinned EP to the boards he'd have him controlled from the front and back 2. the left arm was straight to the chest, not the head. If you stop the video when he slams EP you can see his left glove in EPs chest.

There was one thing that led to EP getting slammed: losing his feet. A stronger player would've been pinned with the Dman with perfect leverage. EP got ragdolled because he's not strong enough. The ONLY thing about this that's penalty-worthy was the extra slam at the end, that was unnecessary.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
You must be new to hockey. Matheson is not a dirty player. EP is still extremely light and easily gets manhandled by any competent d-man in the league. It isn't Mathesons fault that he was able to so easily slam down EP with that force. This isn't the WWE. Some people really need to stop being so sensitive. Don't be mad at Matheson. Be mad at the team for not retaliating. That to me is the most pathetic part.

This whole thread is coming off super whiny over a nothing play. It was bad luck that caused EP to hit his head on the ice in a vulnerable spot. It wasn't some elaborate scheme by a blue collar d-man. I get that fans get worked up since EP has been off to a terrific start and is a top tier prospect but some of the posts in this thread are just sad.

If players can't handle the physicality of the sport, they should chose a different profession.
That’s pretty dumb. The NFL completely changed the rules because they realized nobody wanted to watch third string quarterbacks play each other. So you could say saddle up Nancy and toughen up. Go play croquet Aaron Rogers.
But if you are actually trying to grow the game, ditch the gimmicky games in Europe and protect your star players. Cause that is what’s going to grow the game.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Initial hit wasn't dirty, should have been a roughing penalty for throwing him afterwards. Result is worse than the actual play though, I don't see a suspension here. I hope he's not concussed, but he looked really woozy on the ice and when he was going off.
I agree, it's roughing at best.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
That’s pretty dumb. The NFL completely changed the rules because they realized nobody wanted to watch third string quarterbacks play each other. So you could say saddle up Nancy and toughen up. Go play croquet Aaron Rogers.
But if you are actually trying to grow the game, ditch the gimmicky games in Europe and protect your star players. Cause that is what’s going to grow the game.

Didn't realize Pettersson was a star player. (I'm being serious here. He's a good player with talent, but not a STAR player yet ((if ever)). And all players get hit on the ice. Unless we change the rules to no hitting whats so ever.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
The 90s were full of lunchpail players injuring star players. Right before the dead puck era happened you could read lots of articles complaining about the sudden rise in star injuries. As it was then it is now, the "aw whatever clean hit" crew are coming out even though this talented rookie apparently got a concussion from a standstill hit that looks closer to judo than a check. I can imagine a high speed clean hit causing a concussion, but what kind of clean hit causes a concussion when guys are standing still? Are you sure that old time hockey really needs this hit? Does old time hockey mean it's fine if we play out of bingo halls as long as guys can give each other brain damage?

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Idk if it’s suspendable under the current rules, but it should be. Matheson was just mad that Petterson was making him look like a scrub and took out his anger.

Nothing wrong with the initial hit, but slamming him to the ice is garbage.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
This kids is what happens to young stars when there's no toughness on any of your teams. Let the refs handle it!!!! Powerplays!!!

Nah man, in the good days you'd see your mates handle that shit. Hockey is missing that. Next game some words will be said....

"you better not do something like that again or we'll try to hurt you on the PP!!!!"

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Didn't realize Pettersson was a star player. (I'm being serious here. He's a good player with talent, but not a STAR player yet ((if ever)). And all players get hit on the ice. Unless we change the rules to no hitting whats so ever.

He has five goals in five games and eight points, and had six points in six games in the preseason. The Canucks PP literally flows through him, for a 175lb player his takeaways and defensive positioning are off the charts, his shot might already be among the best in the league...yeah, he's a star. One of those rare players that enters the NHL and immediately makes a large impact.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
So an illegal play caused an injury, I've seen suspensions given out for that.
Pfft, just a rough play, I wouldn't think any different if it had happened to a player on the team I cheer for honestly.

I suspect it's a generational difference here with our respective opinion on a matter such as this, I mean that was nothing in terms of what I grew up with but younger fans seem to get all worked up over this and less these days.

Of course that's an an assumption that you are far younger then I am............................which most posters are around here, sadly I will add.

I will say I regret it seems he got hurt on it, that's unfortunate for sure.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

So Crosby and Ovechkin weren't star players in their 5th game? Pettersson set records in the Swedish Elite League last year, breaking stat lines from Peter Forsberg. He was probably one of the best players not playing in the NHL and he's started off with 8 points in his first 5 games. I agree with you that star talent takes time to develop, but all indications have shown he's closer to being a star than not.

In regards to Matheson, it's not the hit that most fans are upset with, it's the unnecessary throwdown afterwards. It was not a hockey play and as it came immediately after Pettersson humiliating Matheson, it looks like clear intent to injure.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
"Welcome to the NHL" move by Matheson. Man strength vs boy strength. Most regular NHL players would not be slammed to the ice like a rag doll like this and land on their noggin. It's not a hockey play though, so worth 2 mins for roughing. Unfortunate, but maybe you shouldn't put 150 pound teenagers on an NHL ice without a deterrent for moves like this on your roster? I blame the Vancouver Canucks for this unfortunate result and hopefully EP won't miss too much time and takes this as a learning experience.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Pfft, just a rough play, I wouldn't think any different if it had happened to a player on the team I cheer for honestly.

I suspect it's a generational difference here with our respective opinion on a matter such as this, I mean that was nothing in terms of what I grew up with but younger fans seem to get all worked up over this and less these days.

Of course that's an an assumption that you are far younger then I am............................which most posters are around here, sadly I will add.

I will say I regret it seems he got hurt on it, that's unfortunate for sure.

Unfortunately, I've seen rough plays by Canucks be given suspensions when they've hit a young player. I remember Edler getting three games for hitting Hertl when Hertl was bent over trying to get a puck which caused Edler to hit his head. Hertl had just scored four goals in a previous game and for a hit that should have gotten nothing (as hits to the head were not a penalized play at the time), he got three games. All I ask for (and I know it's a lot) is some form of consistency from the DoPS.

Whenever I see a play like this when it's two teams I don't cheer for, I always think what I would think if it was my team that did the offense and if my best player was on the receiving end.

I will concede that injuries should not dictate whether a play should be suspendable, but that's the NHL of today. It does not surprise me that the DoPS are reviewing this play as I bet you if Pettersson was okay, it wouldn't have gotten a second look.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Nothing wrong with the hit, or push to the ice. Only thing wrong i see was the no response from the Canucks. League is way too f***ing soft. Should have been enough to start a brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad