GWT: Matchweek 28: Midweek fun

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It's funny how some Liverpool fans always have the victim complex.

Arsenal finishing top 4 will be determined by their away form, like it is every year. They have the 3rd best home record in the league.

And Spurs never had a chance at the title. Who are we kidding.

Reactions: robertmac43

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Man I’m surprised he’s been as bad as he has. I wasn’t expecting him to shock the world and be some elite player, but I expected him to be useful at least.

I only saw him twice before his move to United, and to be honest, he kinda bossed the game in Shaktar against Roma.

Based on that extremely limited sample size, and the fact City was apparently interested, I was expecting at least a little somethin', somethin'.

Not so much.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I only saw him twice before his move to United, and to be honest, he kinda bossed the game in Shaktar against Roma.

Based on that extremely limited sample size, and the fact City was apparently interested, I was expecting at least a little somethin', somethin'.

Not so much.

Same. I obviously didn’t get to see a lot of him since he played in Ukraine but whenever I’d see him in the CL he looked like he’d be a solid player. Definitely could hold his own agains some good teams, but he’s literally done nothing since he’s been here. Weird.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
In terms of football, some factors in NUFC's improvement since the season's first half are:

1) Lejeune returning to health. Not only is he a solid defender, he's by some distance NUFC's best at playing the ball out from the back, which has better greased the team's attacking wheels.
2) Rondon is now fully healthy - he'd effectively missed pre-season because Ashley's refusal to sanction his permanent signing consigned him to weeks of training alone at West Brom, from which he took weeks of the season proper to recover. He's an authentic target man who works hard, creates space for others, and scores the odd goal. In short, he isn't the honest but utterly terrible Joselu.
3) Sean Longstaff plays central midfield as if he isn't an Englishman. Which is the highest compliment any English central midfielder can ever be paid.
4) Perez and Ritchie are supporting players. Factors 1-3 have reduced the burden on them to a level suited to their abilities.
5) Last season, the team improved from late January onwards after Kenedy arrived, because at that juncture he was on form, injecting into the team extra pace and skill, as well as rescuing Perez and Ritchie from the unsuitable respective roles of first and second creative threat. So far Almiron (who, lest we forget, is older than Kenedy and could scarcely be less mature as a player or individual) has had the same effect. Pace means backed-up opponents. Backed up opponents means greater space, and greater space is a lifeline to a team short on high-end skill.
6) Almiron's signing returned Newcastle United to being a football club, rather than some sort of therapy tool for its psychologically warped owner. The club's connected football coaches, football players, football administrators and football fans have been inevitably united and galvanised. Funny, that.

Reactions: Chimaera

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Feel free to post a replay.

Or keep acting like it's some giant conspiracy to hate Liverpool.

Whichever you want I guess.

Way to overreact. By your words most people must be thinking there is some kind of conspiracy going on with Liverpool and the FA then. What I said was that most people want City to win it over Liverpool and that it shows. But as I also stated it was probably a poor moment to make that point.

Yes Liverpool has gotten more going their way compared to previous years, but they have also gotten themselves into positions to get calls their way by not giving up many chances and by being in the last third of the pitch a lot. You must see that connection after the SAF years? For the most part luck is something you create and earn, just what Liverpools has done. Not something you get.

Anyway it has gotten people to overreact with the Salah penalty and Mane’s ”offside” goal against Bournmouth as two examples. And let’s not forget everything hasn’t gone their way by being robbed by the refs away against Arsenal and Leicester at home to "even it out" some, but no one wants to see that side I guess.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Finally NBC is stopping with the Spurs title narrative, but now they are saying this is a mini-crisis :laugh:
I mean it very well could be.

Arsenal win Saturday and that 10 point lead down to 1. And they gotta play at Anfield and Etihad where they will certainly lose both games.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Way to overreact. By your words most people must be thinking there is some kind of conspiracy going on with Liverpool and the FA then. What I said was that most people want City to win it over Liverpool and that it shows. But as I also stated it was probably a poor moment to make that point.

Yes Liverpool has gotten more going their way compared to previous years, but they have also gotten themselves into positions to get calls their way by not giving up many chances and by being in the last third of the pitch a lot. You must see that connection after the SAF years? For the most part luck is something you create and earn, just what Liverpools has done. Not something you get.

Anyway it has gotten people to overreact with the Salah penalty and Mane’s ”offside” goal against Bournmouth as two examples. And let’s not forget everything hasn’t gone their way by being robbed by the refs away against Arsenal and Leicester at home to "even it out" some, but no one wants to see that side I guess.
I love how you call it "the" Salah "penalty". They were dives and there's been at least three :laugh:

And yes, Bernardo completely dove today. Awful penalty given.

Reactions: Cassano

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This board is like half Liverpool fans.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t think it’s half. I know that’s an exaggeration for effect, and it might feel that way as three or four of the Liverpool supporters are some of the more active posters.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I'm not sure most of this board wants City to win. I think the Pep fans do. And Pool rivals. Rest are either in favor of Pool or split.
Personally I'm split. I'd like Pep to fail, always amuses me. I'd also like to see Klopp win for a change. Even though he's utterly ridiculous in some aspects. I'd also like a few Pool fans to get that reward, though not all of them :D However, there are some players I love on this City team too (Bernardo comes to mind), and no french player on that Pool squad. And everyone knows you can't win a league without a french player ;)
So I'm torn. What I would like to see is a race to the last game, pretty much everyone loves this.

Reactions: maclean

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I love how you call it "the" Salah "penalty". They were dives and there's been at least three :laugh:

And yes, Bernardo completely dove today. Awful penalty given.

That's because we're talking about the specific one against Arsenal which looked similar to Silvas's minus the kick from behind Salah recieved.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Virgil van Dijk yesterday:

1 for 1 on tackles
5 for 5 on aerial duels
2 interceptions
9 clearances
2 goals

Beast.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Some more incredible stats from van Dijk over 34 appearances across the PL and CL:

149 out of 204 aerial duels
175 clearances
31 interceptions
20 blocks (29 including crosses and passes in the box)

...and then the really absurd stuff:

26 out of 26 tackles attempted
0 times dribbled past successfully

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Van Dijk has distanced himself from the pack. The most imposing thing right now might be how easy he makes it look. Like it costs no effort at all.

Looking forward seeing him and De Ligt as the CB-pair in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: YNWA14

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
If ever a player has lived up to the hype, it's certainly van Dijk. What I like most about him is his composure - just sublimely aware of everything going on and always on top of it

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If ever a player has lived up to the hype, it's certainly van Dijk. What I like most about him is his composure - just sublimely aware of everything going on and always on top of it
I know in an era with Messi and to a lesser extent Ronaldo, plus guys like Mbappé and Neymar sniffing around, it's unlikely...but I feel like with the effect he's had on Liverpool if they can win the League or the CL this season, and the Netherlands continues on to win the Nations league (especially after coming out of the toughest group by far) he has to be in the running to win the Ballon d'Or this year (assuming he doesn't fall apart).

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I know in an era with Messi and to a lesser extent Ronaldo, plus guys like Mbappé and Neymar sniffing around, it's unlikely...but I feel like with the effect he's had on Liverpool if they can win the League or the CL this season, and the Netherlands continues on to win the Nations league (especially after coming out of the toughest group by far) he has to be in the running to win the Ballon d'Or this year (assuming he doesn't fall apart).

Well, that's pushing it. Let him do it for a few years (which I've no doubt he can) and then lead the Netherlands to a Euro or World Cup and then we can have that discussion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad