GWT: Matchweek 28: Midweek fun

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ha no need to, that just proves my point ;) If it was Liverpool people would be fuming as we've seen before
Just take the salt out of the equation. No need to focus on the negative; just worry about the team and not what everyone else thinks and it makes for a much more enjoyable experience (not just on here, but in general). There's plenty of bait thrown around on a daily basis...just don't take it and eventually they shut up.

Let their obsession and conduct speak for itself. :)

Reactions: Prntscrn

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ha no need to, that just proves my point ;) If it was Liverpool people would be fuming as we've seen before
no one commented on a City game when El Clasico, London derby and other top 6 games were on at the same time. Stop with this victim complex.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
As far as VVD goes, it's not that he's good. He is. He's the best CB in England and one of the very best in the world.
But it's not even that, he does make mistakes and has errors in judgement (the pen at home to City which Mahrez missed was a clear brainfart), it will happen to every CB no matter how good they are.
They will get beat here and there, they'll make a bad pass when playing from the back, they'll make a rash challenge etc. Happens to VVD, happens to Ramos, to Skriniar, to Boateng/Hummels at their peak, to Varane/Umtiti, even to Lovren. Yes, even to Lovren. :D

But seriously, it's this aura VVD has, his body language and the way he tells his teammates "I got this, bro" WHILE the actual play is going on.
It instills confidence and gives you a sense of security and Lovren (seriously this time) has been playing at the level he's always been capable since VVD came to Liverpool, and his inconsistencies and lapses in concentration drastically lessened. Gomez has looked great next to him (VVD) and now Matip is having a good spell too.

In last year's form, I think Salah is the best and most important player for Liverpool.
But since he does seem to be mortal this year, I'd say it's VVD who's the key to this Liverpool team.

TLDR; VVD is so good, but he acts and has this aura that males him appear even better. It gets in people's heads, opponents avoid him and do safe plays and teammates feed off of him.

As far as the penalty decision goes (Anderson on Silva) it's pretty bad in my book, but it's not like Liverpool hasn't been getting the calls this season either.
EPL needs VAR. And then they need brave and smart refs to actually enforce it.

There was a game in Italy this week, Fiorentina-Inter, where the ref viewed VAR twice, decided both times correctly (both time for Inter) and then review a handball appeal in injury time.
Game was in Florence, you got the feeling that the ref was too scared to judge against Fiorentina again and he gave the penalty even though the ball hit the defender (D'Ambrosio) in the chest from like a meter away.
Ref is suspended now, but points are dropped by Inter.

VAR can be great. But it needs good refs to enforce it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stray Wasp

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes I think we need to put here a timetable so that everyone can know who's watching which game.
And highlights too.

That way we can make sure if there's a biased plot or not.
I'll do my usual check in at halftime, and afterwards unless something noteworthy happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad