Mat Barzal WILL take a huge step back next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 26, 2010
Skilled player. He will have all the top D units to compete with now. He is too good, to have him running around against 3rd pairing D.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's impossible to know, it's also impossible to assume without Tavares he suddenly gets more points. We really should just wait and see how he plays.

But that's the fun thing about speculation. If we wait to find out, then it's no longer a bunch of people speculating.

I'm just curious if Leaf fans are actually down on Barzal, or if it's more payback for Islanders fans being down on Tavares.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So is the "mud slinging" at Barzal payback from Leaf fans for the Isles fans trashing Tavares, or do you and other Leaf fans actually believe Barzal will regress/won't match his 85 point season?

(Note: before the "don't put words in my mouth, I never said that" response, my question is to any/all Leaf fans who want to answer)

It's just another battle in the war between Isles and Leafs fans here on HF, exacerbated by Tavares signing with the Leafs. Barzal has been compared to Marner in the past which led to fights, now he's being compared to Matthews. However Barzal does this season, once a thread is made on the main boards the fan base who is currently right will get their licks in. If Barzal is doing great "But Leafs fans told me he was primed to regress without JT!" If Barzal is struggling "But Islander fans said Barzal didn't need sheltering from Tavares!" Hopefully it'll die down soon much like how the Matthews and Laine rivalry is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 16-17 season.

I personally don't care how Barzal does. At most I've speculated how he'd do as the teams main guy instead of being a part of a two headed monster with JT. Even if he does struggle, however that looks next year it won't be the end of his career.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Prime example of an Islander fan claiming victim-hood when history shows them being one of the ones happily talking trash before JT left them.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147329791/
The Leafs, their fans and their media did nothing but talk about how John belonged in Toronto and how he shouldn't have to play for a lowly organization like the Isles, who aren't worthy of having good players. Before he was even drafted Burke unleashed his stooges in the media to implore him to refuse to report to the Isles and force his way to Toronto. Their fans and media have done nothing but treat the Islanders and their fans with total disrespect and contempt for the past 9 years. I wonder why they would hate the Leafs?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
But that's the fun thing about speculation. If we wait to find out, then it's no longer a bunch of people speculating.

I'm just curious if Leaf fans are actually down on Barzal, or if it's more payback for Islanders fans being down on Tavares.

Honestly it's probably both, I know what pulled me into this originally, I think, it's been a while and I don't really track all my posts so I could be wrong. Was the constant claims that without Tavares Barzal will be even better. Like the claims that without Tavares on the PP Barzal will be even better because now everything runs through him. That could happen but it also could hurt the power play if Tavares isn't there to help.

I've said since the beginning that people shouldn't overreact either way, if he gets ten more or ten less points he's still the same player.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The Leafs, their fans and their media did nothing but talk about how John belonged in Toronto and how he shouldn't have to play for a lowly organization like the Isles, who aren't worthy of having good players. Before he was even drafted Burke unleashed his stooges in the media to implore him to refuse to report to the Isles and force his way to Toronto. Their fans and media have done nothing but treat the Islanders and their fans with total disrespect and contempt for the past 9 years. I wonder why they would hate the Leafs?

No they havn't, Burke was a blowhard he said a lot of things and he's also not really well liked by a lot of Leaf fans. Most Toronto media didn't pay attention to the Islanders, they were too busy tearing apart the Leafs themselves, Sure you get the occasional article about will the Toronto boy come home, he probably gets asked it every time he plays in Toronto but that's it.

The Toronto media is too busy talking about the Leafs to care about the Islanders. Myself and almost everyone else here fully expected Tavares to sign with the Islanders. You can pull my post history and see that even. Toronto media only cares about themselves.

Why do you think Toronto fans are so hostile towards it? I mean come on Steve Simmonds made up a rumour that Phil Kessel gorged on hot dogs every day. When Lou took over he practically had to ban the media it was so bad.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd like to dedicate this song to all the battered, abused Leaf fans. You've held your tongue for so long as those vile Islander fans mocked and tormented you, but the time is now to stand up and finally, finally punch back.

May your story possibly inspire Dallas Cowboys fans to stand up to LA Chargers fans, or Yankees fans to build up the courage and stop letting Brewers fans silence their voices. Godspeed.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

I can't speak for all leaf fans but I personally think Barzal is an elite talent that will have a few obstacles to overcome. I'm really interested how he reacts to a new coach/ system and tougher min.
I personally feel his numbers drop a bit as he focuses more on defense this year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd like to dedicate this song to all the battered, abused Leaf fans. You've held your tongue for so long as those vile Islander fans mocked and tormented you, but the time is now to stand up and finally, finally punch back.

May your story possibly inspire Dallas Cowboys fans to stand up to LA Chargers fans, or Yankees fans to build up the courage and stop letting Brewers fans silence their voices. Godspeed.

I hope Barzal has a terrible sophomore season just for you getting that stupid song stuck in my head.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

....who hurt you as a child?

Reactions: Eric Robson

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

At some point you all need to decide if we're the Evil Empire or the hockey equivalent of the Browns. We can't be one in one thread and the other in the next.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’m claiming that you idiots run around trashing Barzal out of jealousy and it has nothing to with us ripping on Tavares as it’s been happening long before he signed in Toronto

It was more out of annoyance than jealousy. Polls were started by non-Leafs fans comparing Barzal to Marner and Matthews, Leafs fans would of course show up to defend him. We wouldn't have cared if HF didn't incessantly compare every young upstart player to the Leafs players, whether that was Barzal, Boeser, Connor, etc. Now it's probably more an act of aggression but whatever.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I can't speak for all leaf fans but I personally think Barzal is an elite talent that will have a few obstacles to overcome. I'm really interested how he reacts to a new coach/ system and tougher min.
I personally feel his numbers drop a bit as he focuses more on defense this year.
The last point is actually an overlooked value of Barzal: you can argue him and his line were by far the most effective defensive forwards on the entire team by virtue of spending lots of time with the puck in the opponent's zone. The other team can't score when they both don't have the puck and are pinned in their own end.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It was more out of annoyance than jealousy. Polls were started by non-Leafs fans comparing Barzal to Marner and Matthews, Leafs fans would of course show up to defend him. We wouldn't have cared if HF didn't incessantly compare every young upstart player to the Leafs players, whether that was Barzal, Boeser, Connor, etc. Now it's probably more an act of aggression but whatever.

We should really just start ignoring polls, it's only going to get worse. If you want your poll to get votes and views toss in a Leaf isn't a good thing for Leaf fans or everyone else.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not playing the victim even remotely. I stated a fact that this has been going on all season.

Care to elaborate?? And it’s not like I’m baselessly trashing the leafs there... claiming your franchise is the Yankees minus the winning thinking it’s a good thing is actually f’n hilarious and pathetic ... especially to people from NY

I’m claiming that you idiots run around trashing Barzal out of jealousy and it has nothing to with us ripping on Tavares as it’s been happening long before he signed in Toronto

I just find it hilarious that leaf fans always think they have a bad rep for no reason when they’re trying to tear down a player because A.) he’s better than the guy the leafs picked 5th overall the same year and B.) he had a better rookie season than Matthews

Where are leafs fans trashing Barzal, and why do you think we’re jealous that NYI fans have him?

We’ve got enough high end forwards in Tavares, Matthews, Mariner, Nylander, Kadri... and an influx of you forwards in our system that can fill in in depth roles...

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
The last point is actually an overlooked value of Barzal: you can argue him and his line were by far the most effective defensive forwards on the entire team by virtue of spending lots of time with the puck in the opponent's zone. The other team can't score when they both don't have the puck and are pinned in their own end.
But being able to keep the puck in the opposition zone may change when going up against the oppositions top shut down lines and top drfedefen pairings.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
At some point you all need to decide if we're the Evil Empire or the hockey equivalent of the Browns. We can't be one in one thread and the other in the next.

You're the Dallas Cowboys. Huge fanbase, tons of media attention, the works. Could roster an entire team of minimum salary players and still sell out every game.

This also means players like Tony Romo, Dak Prescott, Ezekial Elliott get overrated. They're not bad players by any means, but they're certainly not as good as Cowboy fans think they are.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
We should really just start ignoring polls, it's only going to get worse. If you want your poll to get votes and views toss in a Leaf isn't a good thing for Leaf fans or everyone else.
This post is the point in a gigantic argument where everyone stops, voices their unanimous approval of what was just said and carry the guy who said it out of the debate hall on their shoulders in celebration.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011

You act as though all leaf fans are the same.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You're the Dallas Cowboys. Huge fanbase, tons of media attention, the works. Could roster an entire team of minimum salary players and still sell out every game.

This also means players like Tony Romo, Dak Prescott, Ezekial Elliott get overrated. They're not bad players by any means, but they're certainly not as good as Cowboy fans think they are.

That's fair, it doesn't help when some of the loudest fans also have views that aren't in anyway those of the majority.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This post is the point in a gigantic argument where everyone stops, voices their unanimous approval of what was just said and carry the guy who said it out of the debate hall on their shoulders in celebration.

I'd totally support capping the amount of active Leaf threads/polls, especially since a portion aren't even made by Leaf fans and their authors have questionable intentions.

It would likely lower site traffic though so...

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's fair, it doesn't help when some of the loudest fans also have views that aren't in anyway those of the majority.

The issue is that there are 31 franchises in the NHL. None of the other 29 seem to care about how Barzal WILL take a huge step back next season, apart from a small handful of salty Ranger/Devil/Bruin fans.

The two that do seem to care are the literally hundreds of Leaf fans coming into this thread to talk about how badly he'll regress, and the Islander fans saying maybe go talk about Toronto things instead of obsessing over exactly how much of a rude awakening Barzal is in for next season.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You act as though all leaf fans are the same.
That is a fair statement. My best friend in Brewster is actually a Toronto native and a huge Leafs fan. I've gone to several games with him and used my experience credits from being a near decade long Isles STH to get him tickets to game. The problem is that all the assholes draw the attention to themselves and make everyone look horrible (eg: people online talking about "invading" Barclays on 2/28).

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The issue is that there are 31 franchises in the NHL. None of the other 29 seem to care about how Barzal WILL take a huge step back next season, apart from a small handful of salty Ranger/Devil/Bruin fans.

The two that do seem to care are the literally hundreds of Leaf fans coming into this thread to talk about how badly he'll regress, and the Islander fans saying maybe go talk about Toronto things instead of obsessing over exactly how much of a rude awakening Barzal is in for next season.

Ever seen that meme of a crowd of people talking peacefully then someone jumps in and says something inflammatory and turns into a brawl? That's the HFboards in a nutshell. Someone says something stupid and instead of everyone just ignoring it they decide to out stupid that. That new comment pulls in more people who pull in even more people.

Look at Zeke's top center thread, not only has it been beaten to death people are talking about points already addressed ten pages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad