Mat Barzal WILL take a huge step back next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017
Not really going too far out on a limb claiming the ROY will have a regression... The guy had the best rookie season for an Islander since Trottier. I think it will be interesting how he progresses in his play this year. We'll see how Trotz implements an actual system and the impact it has on the team's offensive numbers. The obvious counter-argument to that being Barzal's ability to essentially create offense on his own off the breakout. His speed & edgework are superb so I could see his offensive output being similar to last season even with the coaching changes.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It was on this page of a poll thread. His post:

"Barzal played less mins per game than Matthews did. And he played against top D units and tougher competition as he was by far the most dangerous ES threat on the Islanders last season."

My response:

"Barzal played against Top D and tougher competition"...than who? Tavares or Matthews? Either would be false. It takes all of 2 mins to look this up and avoid spewing lies.

Matthews
Tavares
Barzal

Good to see we got the facts established about Barzal's usage. That QoC is going to skyrocket for Barzal next year because the Islander's center depth is paper thin after him. And this is all with the team captain and #1C leaving. Barzal has a lot to adapt to next year.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
We'll see how Trotz implements an actual system and the impact it has on the team's offensive numbers.
I think Tortz will actually help his numbers. When I made this post, the islanders didnt have him at coach

Last edited by a moderator:

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Good to see we got the facts established about Barzal's usage. That QoC is going to skyrocket for Barzal next year because the Islander's center depth is paper thin after him. And this is all with the team captain and #1C leaving. Barzal has a lot to adapt to next year.
Agreed, he also has to deal with a new coach and system that will put more focus on Defense.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
5v5 P/60

Matthews: 2.93
Barzal: 2.89

PP P/60

Matthews: 5.89
Barzal: 5.67

So Matthews scores at a better rate 5v5. He also scores at a better rate on the PP. But somehow if Barzal had Matthews minutes he would have 95 points. That makes no sense whatsoever.
The only thing I will say about this is it is a marginal difference with 20 less games than Barzal. Making Matthews sample far less relevant. Can he do it for 82 games with his history of injuries. Like it or not durability is a plus, and not being durable is a negative.

BTW Barzal rocks Matthews REL Corsi wise, poseesion metrics wise, and there is no comparison A/60.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
The only thing I will say about this is it is a marginal difference with 20 less games than Barzal. Making Matthews sample far less relevant. Can he do it for 82 games with his history of injuries. Like it or not durability is a plus, and not being durable is a negative.
BTW Barzal rocks Matthews REL Corsi wise, poseesion metrics wise, and there is no comparison A/60.
Durable? Both players played a full season their rookie year.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I think he will score less points, but that doesn’t equate to a regression.

Trotz will develop him and the team into a stronger defensive unit. At least I’d think that would be the goal.

Obviously he’s going to get tougher matchups this coming season without Tavares on the team. It could affect his production. That being said, I doubt it would be by much. Barzal is going to establish himself as a true star in this league.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
The facts are that Matthews handily outplayed Barzal in their head-to-head shifts last year. Your imagination is free to run wild from there.

I’m sorry but this is ridiculous. In one game Matthews “handily outplayed Barzal” in absolute blowout mostly attributable to the islanders awful defense and goaltending

The next game... oh the next game I remember how you leaf fans were crying when Barzal absolutely dominated your boy Matthews with a 3 point night and quite frankly made Matthews look silly.... and then the islanders awful defense and goaltending still managed to lose the game for them in the shootout. Go watch that second game again and tell me Matthews outplayed him head to head this season lmao

I still remember all the “well it doesn’t count that Barzal dominated him bc the leafs won in a shootout!!” Posts. It was right after one of the usuals made another thread about Barzal too :laugh:

(My entire post disregards how awful of an argument and how irrelevant 20:00 of head to head is in the first place but yeah... that too)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I point out again.. THE ONLY OPPOSING TEAM FANS COMMENTING IN THIS THREAD ARE LEAF FANS. I really wonder why that is :sarcasm:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't help that there has been a ton of shade thrown at the Leafs new acquisition, his wife, the city of Toronto, fans of the Leafs. I'm not saying it's right but what did you expect would happen?

I get why the Islanders are upset but at some point people will start to punch back.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm pretty sure it doesn't help that there has been a ton of shade thrown at the Leafs new acquisition, his wife, the city of Toronto, fans of the Leafs. I'm not saying it's right but what did you expect would happen?

I get why the Islanders are upset but at some point people will start to punch back.
What a crock of bullshit. The second pajama boy did what he did the Isles board was flooded with Leafs fans pulling their trolling nonsense gleefully rubbing salt in the wound. The mods had to deal with an endless pest control operation for weeks after.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What a crock of bull****. The second pajama boy did what he did the Isles board was flooded with Leafs fans pulling their trolling nonsense gleefully rubbing salt in the wound. The mods had to deal with an endless pest control operation for weeks after.

As if Isles fans were any more cordial leading up to Tavares' free agency. Mud was slung both ways, lets not act like one side was innocent.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
What a crock of bull****. The second pajama boy did what he did the Isles board was flooded with Leafs fans pulling their trolling nonsense gleefully rubbing salt in the wound. The mods had to deal with an endless pest control operation for weeks after.

So that makes it okay in your mind to trash a man's wife and imply he's not a man because she may have had an opinion on where she lives the next 7 years? The sexist garbage that was floating around should have had a lot more banning.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Except for the fact that this went on for the entire season before that bc he was outperforming certain leafs golden boys and the leaf fan base on this website rightfully has the awful reputation it gets.

Oh and Tavares is still a little p***y and I wish him nothing but the worst

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As if Isles fans were any more cordial leading up to Tavares' free agency. Mud was slung both ways, lets not act like one side was innocent.

So is the "mud slinging" at Barzal payback from Leaf fans for the Isles fans trashing Tavares, or do you and other Leaf fans actually believe Barzal will regress/won't match his 85 point season?

(Note: before the "don't put words in my mouth, I never said that" response, my question is to any/all Leaf fans who want to answer)

Reactions: sabremike

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
So is the "mud slinging" at Barzal payback from Leaf fans for the Isles fans trashing Tavares, or do you and other Leaf fans actually believe Barzal will regress/won't match his 85 point season?

(Note: before the "don't put words in my mouth, I never said that" response, my question is to any/all Leaf fans who want to answer)

It's impossible to know, it's also impossible to assume without Tavares he suddenly gets more points. We really should just wait and see how he plays.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Except for the fact that this went on for the entire season before that bc he was outperforming certain leafs golden boys and the leaf fan base on this website rightfully has the awful reputation it gets.

Oh and Tavares is still a little ***** and I wish him nothing but the worst

“Hey see we’re the victim!”
-leafs Hf

Prime example of an Islander fan claiming victim-hood when history shows them being one of the ones happily talking trash before JT left them.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147329791/

As leaf fever hilariously stated, your franchise is the Yankees minus the winning. The laughs are also a joke and you’re setting yourself up to just get body bagged when JT doesn’t sign with you

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Prime example of an Islander fan claiming victim-hood when history shows them being one of the ones happily talking trash before JT left them.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147329791/

Not playing the victim even remotely. I stated a fact that this has been going on all season.

Care to elaborate?? And it’s not like I’m baselessly trashing the leafs there... claiming your franchise is the Yankees minus the winning thinking it’s a good thing is actually f’n hilarious and pathetic ... especially to people from NY

I’m claiming that you idiots run around trashing Barzal out of jealousy and it has nothing to with us ripping on Tavares as it’s been happening long before he signed in Toronto

I just find it hilarious that leaf fans always think they have a bad rep for no reason when they’re trying to tear down a player because A.) he’s better than the guy the leafs picked 5th overall the same year and B.) he had a better rookie season than Matthews

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad