MasterMatt's top 50 NHL affiliated prospects

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I can understand his argument there. Usually especially right after a draft, prospects are ranked in the same order they were drafted. Tolvanen has already had an entire year to separate himself from the pack and move up the rankings. It's not the same argument.
Yeah but at the same time a #30 or later pick has a lot more they need to do in my eyes at least before they overtake most players that scouts rated ahead. I wouldn’t even move him to #5 in a redraft, let alone rank him that high in an overall prospect ranking.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Obviously, I wonder a fan of what team would say that.

Welp, most Yotes fans are pissed, and there's a decent amount of Ottawa fans that aren't happy either.

As for MTL, well...

BouncyHoarseAnt-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Buf fan in Nash

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Strome and Rasmussen high.

Yamamoto and Steel a bit low.

Decent enough list though. :handclap:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn't include goalies on purpose. They're too difficult to project, especially when comparing them to non-goalies. That's why a while ago, I made a poll ranking specifically for goalies

Cool beans :thumbu:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tolvanen is high a bit, I agree, but he also proved more than Zadina last year.

It’s not just about stats, otherwise Heponiemi should be top 10 on every list.

Tolvanen is small and not a great skater. So that’s great he tore it up in the KHL on the big ice, but I have a lot of questions still on what he will be on small ice against better/bigger/faster defenseman.

There’s the skill set, physical tools, and how they project along with the stats. Zadina (easily) projects better than Tolvanen, IMO. Bigger frame, better hands... better overall package.

Same reasons I would put Tkachuk and Wahlstrom ahead as well. But I suppose there are different criteria people probably use with these.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Everywhere I look it seems like Tolvanen has become a top 10 NHL affiliated prospect and frankly I just don't get it. I understand the KHL stats were impressive last year but its such a different league than the NHL and I view Tolvanen as being a pretty one dimensional player (its a great dimension to be sure but still....). I view him as top 30 but no where near the top 10. A few other observations:

Jordan Kyrou too high for me
Sam Steel too low (I think he's the future #2 C in Anaheim)
Chytil too high
Timmins too low (He was the best D-man on last year's gold medal Canada WJC squad, yes better than Makar)

Reactions: Buf fan in Nash

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for sharing this. Don't agree with it all, some guys could be higher and some could be lower but still a good list.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Surprised to see people are still low on Tolvanen. Played great in the KHL, World Juniours, World Champs, and Olympic Games. Just turned 19 a little over 3 months ago. I see him being a star and totally agree with his placement.

Reactions: Ookhaab

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks have 4 in the top 50. thats pretty good! esp when the mathematical average is 1.5

would Demko not qualify since he's played PRO hockey in the AHL?

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Canucks have 4 in the top 50. thats pretty good! esp when the mathematical average is 1.5

would Demko not qualify since he's played PRO hockey in the AHL

He said he didn't rank any goaltender on that list.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
As a Devils fan, the hell do you have McLeod above Ty Smith for. In our prospect rankings, Ty Smith absolutely destroyed in votes for who our #1 prospect is, so what do you see in McLeod that makes you like him more than Ty Smith as of this point. Like the rankings though

Reactions: Mrb1p

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Surprised to see people are still low on Tolvanen. Played great in the KHL, World Juniours, World Champs, and Olympic Games. Just turned 19 a little over 3 months ago. I see him being a star and totally agree with his placement.

I like him... I just think 5 is too high. I also really like the top 4 wingers from this last draft class and think highly of them.

Maybe it’s because as a Red Wings fan, I have seen a fair share of guys who did well overseas and had it not translate.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like him... I just think 5 is too high. I also really like the top 4 wingers from this last draft class and think highly of them.

Maybe it’s because as a Red Wings fan, I have seen a fair share of guys who did well overseas and had it not translate.
Why wouldnt Tolvanen translate though?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why wouldnt Tolvanen translate though?

For an undersized guy he’s not an especially great skater, in my opinion.

His insane release will probably be his saving grace, but he’s someone I want to wait and see on this side of the pond before going too crazy.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
So Logan Brown is there but not Oskar Lindblom SHL swedish forward of the year?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
It has something to do with the three dummies that picked before Detroit, I'm betting...
Don't you think it's a little suspicious that three teams starving for offense passed on the best offensive option left available in the draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad