Sportsnet: Massive Layoffs coming. Bobcat's last show today...or not.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I know many non-Leaf fans who watched very little basketball but who had tuned out the NHL playoffs after round 1 due to the style being played and teams remaining.

NBA basically being an offensive highlight show from tip off to the end of games was a huge eye opener for me, personally. Many didn't realize a lot of that until late in the Golden State series when really casual fans started tuning in.

NHL is only hurting itself if it continues down the road of "once playoff starts the rules completely change" even if big markets are successful.
I agree with that but keep in mind that the NHL has always had NHL regular season rules and then NHL playoff rules. This has been true for 40+ years that I have seen. So why was this year different?

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Overdrive is way better than PTS. Sportsnet tries to be non bias and talk about other teams. PTS has become a old man yells at cloud show.

Hayes Noodles and ODog talk basically exclusive leafs and DGAF. Don't like it don't watch a Toronto sports show.

Reactions: BM14

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You're absolutely right.

The thing is, as a host if you're not motivated and engaged - neither is your audience and that's been the case for a very long time.

Bob was a great interviewer when he didn't lob up softballs to his high up friends/interviewees.

My problem with him is that he is so unkowledgeable about every sport and is too lazy to even bother investigating anything. He is just clown schtick like Cherry

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Overdrive is way better than PTS. Sportsnet tries to be non bias and talk about other teams. PTS has become a old man yells at cloud show.

Hayes Noodles and ODog talk basically exclusive leafs and DGAF. Don't like it don't watch a Toronto sports show.

Do we really need every show to be all Leafs all the time? If you're just a fan of the Leafs, of course you will find Overdrive to be better. If you like other sports as well, like myself, PTS is naturally going to be more appealing (notwithstanding what anyone thinks of the particular hosts).

This whole thing has been weird with the way it was tweeted out on one account and basically nothing throughout the Toronto media, but now it does seem there is something to it.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's not even the markets as much as the change from free flowing hockey to a late 90's goon league come playoff time.

The NBA playoffs, Raptors success or not, was considerably better to watch as a sports fan.
I gotta admit most of the Raptor playoff games were the most exciting g sporting events I have seen.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm excited about this news.

• Layoffs mean new blood has to step into prominent positions, which is something SNET has needed DESPERATELY.
  • Bobcat felt "too old and out of touch" with his position when I was in high school. That was 14 years ago. Time to let him ride into the sunset - not at all surprised that nobody listens anymore, which has facilitated his change.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I'm excited about this news.

• Layoffs mean new blood has to step into prominent positions, which is something SNET has needed DESPERATELY.
  • Bobcat felt "too old and out of touch" with his position when I was in high school. That was 14 years ago. Time to let him ride into the sunset - not at all surprised that nobody listens anymore, which has facilitated his change.
Blair or Stellick to PTS E5

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

They are good if you want hockey 24-7, especially Leafs hockey. I understand that for the two ex pros but having a host like Hayes who is virtually one dimensional is very surprising.

Reactions: Tarantula

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
PTS isnt about the day to day micro analysis of the Leafs. They dont care about Kadri's dumb penalty in the 2nd period of last nights game or Babcocks ice time allocation in 1st periods on Tuesdays. Its about far more macro topics with a far heavier outlook on sports business. Its the only show in Toronto that deals with those topics.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I gotta admit most of the Raptor playoff games were the most exciting g sporting events I have seen.

I don't follow the NBA or the raps but I love seeing them live. It's a great experience and during that run for the first time I could feel the live vibe watching on TV which was awesome. I think Kawhi taking over games was the reason.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

The issue with Overdrive, is that they are pretty much lost as soon as they aren't talking hockey. Toronto has two other teams that are pretty important. If you only care about Leafs/Hockey, TSN is amazing due to the network of hockey related guests. PTS also had an amazing network of American Sportswriters to talk about Toronto teams and league-wide topics. For example, Bob Ryan is a legend in the field of sports writing especially for Basketball, getting his takes on the Raps was awesome.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
PTS isnt about the day to day micro analysis of the Leafs. They dont care about Kadri's dumb penalty in the 2nd period of last nights game or Babcocks ice time allocation in 1st periods on Tuesdays. Its about far more macro topics with a far heavier outlook on sports business. Its the only show in Toronto that deals with those topics.

Agreed.

I can't think of anything worse than replacing his show with Tim and Sid, and I like those guys.

You already have the OD guys on TSN doing the slapstick gimmick, you don't need the guys who built that house on the other channel.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Are you really surprised? Rogers took a huge kick in the teeth in the NHL playoff numbers this year. Toronto tuned out. There are lots of changes coming. Like someone said above they paid way too much and TV results sucked.

and Bobcat has been overwhelmed by Overdrive. He got his lunch fed to him.

I enjoy PTS and Overdrive for different reasons. I seriously doubt that Bobcat has been overwhelmed by Overdrive. In fact, I would be very surprised if the ratings are comparable.

Despite what some people think of him, Bobcat is still top dog in terms of on air sports radio personalities in this country.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Do we really need every show to be all Leafs all the time? If you're just a fan of the Leafs, of course you will find Overdrive to be better. If you like other sports as well, like myself, PTS is naturally going to be more appealing (notwithstanding what anyone thinks of the particular hosts).

This whole thing has been weird with the way it was tweeted out on one account and basically nothing throughout the Toronto media, but now it does seem there is something to it.

I don't really agree with this at all.

I am not a Leafs fan in anyway and I much prefer Overdrive over PTS. I have listened to PTS a lot longer than Overdrive and slowly made my way over there recently only listening to PTS for the roundtable, and even that I dropped, and certain guests.

Now it may be that I am not a fan of any TO teams so the Leaf centric focus of Overdrive is easily matched by the Raptors/Jays focus of PTS so maybe if you a fan of those two teams PTS will have more a appeal but I found the homerism for the Raptors and Jays from Bobcat and his guests much harder to take than any fandom on Overdrive. Sure they are clearly TO fans but they at least can be critical of the teams unlike PTS.

Much has been covered here about PTS and Bobcat. I think one thing is that being edgy can quickly turn into being a dick and I think Bobcat made that change. When I started it was nice to hear someone have some different opinions and not just tow the company line but lately he seemed to only care about his view and nothing else.

I also hate how he "turned", and I know it wasn't him but the show, two greats in Brunt and Deistch into complete blowhards. Brunt over the previous two years became such a Jays honk it was tough to listen it. Maybe Deitsch was always this blowhardy and I just missed but since his move to TO he has become unbearable. It is ironic too with his constant whining about Bayless, who I hate, has kind of make me like Skip more just because of how unlikable Deitsch has become.

I think it was time for Bob to go. It was apparent his love for the show was gone and it was really coming through on the radio. I am not sure what they will do as simply simulcasting Tim and Sid doesn't make sense as they do show a lot of clips on their show. Also that is kind of the same-same type of show with Overdrive in terms of matching comedy/sports.

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
I know many non-Leaf fans who watched very little basketball but who had tuned out the NHL playoffs after round 1 due to the style being played and teams remaining.

NBA basically being an offensive highlight show from tip off to the end of games was a huge eye opener for me, personally. Many didn't realize a lot of that until late in the Golden State series when really casual fans started tuning in.

NHL is only hurting itself if it continues down the road of "once playoff starts the rules completely change" even if big markets are successful.
This.
I was never a huge basketball fan but the NBA playoffs were exciting.
Atrocious NHL reffing, the change in rules from the regular season to the playoffs, game 2 Leafs vs Boston comes to mind. IMO there are already too many teams in the NHL. More teams = less quality. No Canadian teams beyond the first round. What do they expect...

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I don't really agree with this at all.

I am not a Leafs fan in anyway and I much prefer Overdrive over PTS. I have listened to PTS a lot longer than Overdrive and slowly made my way over there recently only listening to PTS for the roundtable, and even that I dropped, and certain guests.

Now it may be that I am not a fan of any TO teams so the Leaf centric focus of Overdrive is easily matched by the Raptors/Jays focus of PTS so maybe if you a fan of those two teams PTS will have more a appeal but I found the homerism for the Raptors and Jays from Bobcat and his guests much harder to take than any fandom on Overdrive. Sure they are clearly TO fans but they at least can be critical of the teams unlike PTS.

Much has been covered here about PTS and Bobcat. I think one thing is that being edgy can quickly turn into being a dick and I think Bobcat made that change. When I started it was nice to hear someone have some different opinions and not just tow the company line but lately he seemed to only care about his view and nothing else.

I also hate how he "turned", and I know it wasn't him but the show, two greats in Brunt and Deistch into complete blowhards. Brunt over the previous two years became such a Jays honk it was tough to listen it. Maybe Deitsch was always this blowhardy and I just missed but since his move to TO he has become unbearable. It is ironic too with his constant whining about Bayless, who I hate, has kind of make me like Skip more just because of how unlikable Deitsch has become.

I think it was time for Bob to go. It was apparent his love for the show was gone and it was really coming through on the radio. I am not sure what they will do as simply simulcasting Tim and Sid doesn't make sense as they do show a lot of clips on their show. Also that is kind of the same-same type of show with Overdrive in terms of matching comedy/sports.

I was generalizing and everyone has their own opinions, but I do feel Overdrive skews significantly towards the hockey crowd, and that makes sense and is perfectly fine. There have been times when I will flip over there if PTS is talking about something I'm not really interested in (e.g. football) and I know I am likely to be able to listen to a sport I care about (hockey).

I mentioned in another post that I felt this was coming soon (as in within the next couple of years). I do get some of what you're saying that there was an element of 'going through the motions'. I've seen it with late-night TV talk shows too, where some hosts I liked were still good, but you could tell maybe it was time for a change. I think my fear is that the there is a dearth of alternatives who can come in and do a good job.

I also don't agree about Deitsch - I don't mind him, but I also couldn't ever see him carrying a show. He's just kind of there to me, while some of the other co-hosts I've found flat out annoying. Anyways, whatever we all think of Bob, it will be interesting to see what comes next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad