Sportsnet: Massive Layoffs coming. Bobcat's last show today...or not.

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
We got ourselves a soap opera.

20190620_151938.jpg

Reactions: Leafin

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Are you really surprised? Rogers took a huge kick in the teeth in the NHL playoff numbers this year. Toronto tuned out. There are lots of changes coming. Like someone said above they paid way too much and TV results sucked.

and Bobcat has been overwhelmed by Overdrive. He got his lunch fed to him.

It was only a matter of time.
Bob’s numbers have been slipping consistently. As we wrote in March of this year, TSN1050’s Overdrive has been making impressive gains against PTS. The broader picture is that radio revenues are declining as podcasting takes over.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Not surprised when the league has garbage like Carolina and NYI making runs in the playoffs. Who the hell is going to watch that talentless hockey

It's not even the markets as much as the change from free flowing hockey to a late 90's goon league come playoff time.

The NBA playoffs, Raptors success or not, was considerably better to watch as a sports fan.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's not even the markets as much as the change from free flowing hockey to a late 90's goon league come playoff time.

The NBA playoffs, Raptors success or not, was considerably better to watch as a sports fan.
Agreed the raptors played a huge part in why Toronto numbers sucked this year for playoff hockey. Most of my hockey buddies all went to Raptors too. But there is also the element of Columbus Carolina as underdogs. and Boston making it through which most of Toronto hates. It was a mix of everything that killed playoff hockey in Toronto this year.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Everybody loves parity until you see a series like that.

Parity is only good when different teams become more skilled over the years.

Not when a talentless team is able to park the bus and win off luck. That's garbage

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Essentially confirming he got let go, but doesnt plan on retiring.

TSN has to be all over this. Bringing in the Bobcat would instantaneously shift the balance of power to TSN, which has struggled to gain a foothold in the market since their radio inception.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Good riddance. I only listen to talk/sports radio in the car (which is a lot) and I haven't tuned into that moron for 20 years. Sadly, someone will pick him up and instead of him heading back to wherever he draft-dodged from in the first place, he'll still have voice in Toronto sports.

Reactions: Christ

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
TSN has to be all over this. Bringing in the Bobcat would instantaneously shift the balance of power to TSN, which has struggled to gain a foothold in the market since their radio inception.

Him getting removed was due to the increases TSN is seeing in the same time slot.

The balance of power has already started to shift.

Combine that with Bob's "I dont watch sports anyway" attitude and he made an easy decision for them.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Agreed the raptors played a huge part in why Toronto numbers sucked this year for playoff hockey. Most of my hockey buddies all went to Raptors too. But there is also the element of Columbus Carolina as underdogs. and Boston making it through which most of Toronto hates. It was a mix of everything that killed playoff hockey in Toronto this year.

I know many non-Leaf fans who watched very little basketball but who had tuned out the NHL playoffs after round 1 due to the style being played and teams remaining.

NBA basically being an offensive highlight show from tip off to the end of games was a huge eye opener for me, personally. Many didn't realize a lot of that until late in the Golden State series when really casual fans started tuning in.

NHL is only hurting itself if it continues down the road of "once playoff starts the rules completely change" even if big markets are successful.

Reactions: Marmoset

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Business as usual...he is on now. The hosts before him were joking about Bob being gone as this appears to be a non-story

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's probably time for Bob to move on, unfortunate it has to happen like this. He had an amazing career and was the voice of Toronto sports for years. Good luck to him!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad