Confirmed with Link: Mason to PHI for Leighton, 3rd Rnd Pick

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
I didn't think for the most part Mase has been all that bad this year. Downright serviceable at times. I wish him the best of luck and I hope his game rebounds in Philthy...ahem...Philly. I thought I saw on Twitter Mac was getting called up, so Leighton would be sent to Springy but I can't find the info now. I kind of feel bad for the Falcons if that's the case.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Im sure the news of this trade has passed Mason by ....... high glove side :laugh:

woah.gif

Jimmys7

Jun 29, 2011
Columbus Ohio
Leighton has negative value. He's more of a cap dump in this deal then anything. I am looking forward to seeing if Mason can turn his career around here. Will be interesting to see if we buyout Bryz after this year he may well be our starter next year who knows. Question to Columbus fans, do you all think that Mason's numbers are more of a product of his ability or the system and team?

I don't get how he's a cap dump, he makes $900k and is an UFA at the end of the year. Mason makes $2.9 mil and is a RFA at the end of the year. I didn't major in mathematics but this doesn't seem like much of a cap dump.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I don't get how he's a cap dump, he makes $900k and is an UFA at the end of the year. Mason makes $2.9 mil and is a RFA at the end of the year. I didn't major in mathematics but this doesn't seem like much of a cap dump.

Maybe it was a typo and he meant crap dump. Still doesn't add up when looking at Mason though...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 1m

Davidson also said Michael Leighton will back up Sergei Bobrovsky "the rest of the way."

Noooo #FreeCurtisMcElhinney

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This deal will teach Holmgren to do deals like Carter with the Jackets

Seriously good luck to Mase...with Philly's D and the fans (lack of ) patience he could be in for a rough year.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Wow, Shocked we got that much for Mase given that he's an rfa that needs to be qualified 3.2 million.

This is an interesting deal because it could turn out that Mase finds his form in a new market (though in the goalie graveyard that is philly it seems unlikely) and make this look really bad, but regardless of how good Mase ends up as a player this is a good deal for us as he would never have been that good here.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Leighton may or may not be so great... I've not seen him play much but I was at a playoff game in Buffalo a couple of years ago and he gave up three in the first, was pulled and the Flyers came back to win... just saying.

Leighton is awful. There's no other way to say it. He's played in 1 game this year, and if we didn't have the goaltending situation that we do, he would have been pulled after the 1st period.

Leighton has negative value. He's more of a cap dump in this deal then anything. I am looking forward to seeing if Mason can turn his career around here. Will be interesting to see if we buyout Bryz after this year he may well be our starter next year who knows. Question to Columbus fans, do you all think that Mason's numbers are more of a product of his ability or the system and team?

Leighton and his 950k expiring contract a cap dump? Seriously?

Holmgren, call us anytime you want, buddy.

(Uncontrollable laughter).

Adios, Mason. Can't wait until the first time you try to throw those guys in Philly under the bus.

Oh don't worry, Leighton has done this his fair share as well.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Quite simply, Bob was traded to give him a chance to start and to obtain some sort of value for him. Mason was brought in to back-up

There is media talk that the Flyers may buy out Bryz next season... I know the talk is just talk but if they do a bona fide NHL starter is not easy to find....

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
There is media talk that the Flyers may buy out Bryz next season... I know the talk is just talk but if they do a bona fide NHL starter is not easy to find....

I'd bet that we see them go after Miller, Comcast has the $ after all

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ

which bryz is not. especially with that cap hit. quite frankly you guys are the extreme beneficiaries of this whole mess. Bob wilted as a ROOKIE in the playoffs so they overpaid bryz, trade richards and carter for "cap space" traded Bob, then took on Mason...

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Mason appears to have the physical ability but it's between the ears that needs continued work. Good luck to him. I wish him no ill will. He simply didn't have a home here any more. The welcome mat was pulled a few years ago.

Good luck

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Really like this deal ... addition by subtraction, and Leighton will be a solid #2 for Bob for the rest of the year. The third round pick is a good throw-in.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I like this deal, maybe the change in scenery will do Mase good.

I do want to thank him though, for the playoff year. Wonderful memories.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
does Mase duck away from pucks the way Bryzgalov just did in this game against montreal???

No, I've never seen an NHL goalie do what Bryz just did. But Mase is a bit of an immature headcase. Putting him behind the Flyers' defence is a bit scary.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The guys on NHL Network think Mason will get the start for the Flyers in Toronto tomorrow.... A must watch if true.

Yeah, after watching our former friends dismantle the Penguins, watch Mase pitch a 50 save shutout

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
No, I've never seen an NHL goalie do what Bryz just did. But Mase is a bit of an immature headcase. Putting him behind the Flyers' defence is a bit scary.

Patrick Roy behind that defense is scary lol. Kinda wish we coulda smung something bigger with Mason and a Dman myself... Thats gotta be #1 this summer for Homer to address. I like Mason, and really believe in him, I always have. But Bryz infuriates me to no end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad