Confirmed with Link: Mason to PHI for Leighton, 3rd Rnd Pick

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Seen elsewhere, from a Flyers fan.

"If anyone needs me, or the toaster, we'll be in the tub."

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Pretty happy with this one. Wanted Leighton in free agency. I know he has health issues and has struggled, but I still feel that he's capable of being a steady backup in this league.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Seen elsewhere, from a Flyers fan.

"If anyone needs me, or the toaster, we'll be in the tub."

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

A minor leaguer for a minor leaguer and a throwaway draft pick. A deal which will live in the minor footnotes of Jackets trade history.

The Mason Era is over. All bad things must end. Praises to Jarmo for getting the dead body smell removed from the franchise.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Pretty happy with this one. Wanted Leighton in free agency. I know he has health issues and has struggled, but I still feel that he's capable of being a steady backup in this league.

You will get to see him play before the season ends I would guess, he better win if he plays... In fact, Bob better win too.... I want the playoffs... ;)

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
"You's might be accused of fixing the game by running Leighton out there. He's top 5 in the league at opening the bench doors though."

-The Response to my question the Flyers page of "Do you think Leighton could at least be serviceable for a game now and then?"

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
"You's might be accused of fixing the game by running Leighton out there. He's top 5 in the league at opening the bench doors though."

-The Response to my question the Flyers page of "Do you think Leighton could at least be serviceable for a game now and then?"

:laugh: word for word? you really got "you's"? love it.

I'm interested in the stark contrast in opinion on this guy, who I don't really know. Some Jackets fans are high on this trade, but I've yet to hear of a Flyers fan who is bummed on it

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
This is the best move of the day. Not just because I was completely burned out on Steve Mason either.

Looking at his numbers the last three full seasons, I'm amazed we were able to not only pry a 3rd rounder, but a capable fill in backup like Micheal Leighton as well.

This is easily the best deal of the day when you couple with what Mason's contract situation was along with his preceived value.

Maybe Philly thinks they can rehabilitate him? I mentioned last season that I thought it would take an entire minor league season, perhaps longer, and dedicated work from a position coaching department to potentially bring him back to "good NHL backup"

Mason and Brassard gone, its a great day to be a jackets fan.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011

I'm interested in the stark contrast in opinion on this guy, who I don't really know. Some Jackets fans are high on this trade, but I've yet to hear of a Flyers fan who is bummed on it

I think both sets of fans have are happy with this trade, both think they're getting rid of a useless scrub for a "serviceable" back-up. Hopefully, the move will do both players good. I'm happy Leighton has gone - the majority of the fanbase is against him for dropping the ball in crucial games, and for his generally substandard play . Maybe it will do him good, playing in a market where the pressure on goalies won't be as great. This year, he's only played 1 game despite having Bryz as starter and we've had Boucher in ahead of him at times, which speaks volumes about his recent play. Hopefully he turns it around though.

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH

Yep word for word. On the Flyers page, EVERYONE is glad to see Leighton go....very few think taking on Mason is a good idea. Poor guy is really going to have to prove himself.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

Leighton is an awful goalie, especially cold. Only time he played decent was when he was getting consistent starts in a row

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Reports on Twitter the Flyers are planning on signing Mason for another year :laugh: (Mind you less than his current contract)

I thought as an RFA, he needed to be qualified at his current salary + whatever percentage determined by the CBA.

EDIT: Never mind, I hate trying to wrap my head around RFAs. I'll stick to UFAs.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Im not worried abough Leighton. We have one of the best goalie coaches in the league (worked with Luongo and Schnieder) who is a major reason for Bobrovskys successes this season(besides his own work ethic). If some of Bobrovsky wears off on leighton maybe, just maybe Clark can turn Leighton into a decent backup.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Im not worried abough Leighton. We have one of the best goalie coaches in the league (worked with Luongo and Schnieder) who is a major reason for Bobrovskys successes this season(besides his own work ethic). If some of Bobrovsky wears off on leighton maybe, just maybe Clark can turn Leighton into a decent backup.

Leighton was a solid goalie for them in the '09-'10 playoffs when it was only him and Bob. He's only played a couple of games since then so I'm not sure what Philly fans have to judge him on other than that small amount of games. We all know how fickle Philly fans are. May God have mercy on Steve Mason's soul.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
A couple of bad outings and Mason will need a shrink to save him from Philly fan.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Yep word for word. On the Flyers page, EVERYONE is glad to see Leighton go....very few think taking on Mason is a good idea. Poor guy is really going to have to prove himself.

You'll have a harder time finding a flyers fan upset Leighton is gone than you will a jackets fan upset mason is gone. Ill always respect him for his play in 2010 but he is what he is and that is not an nhl goalie. That run was such a fluke in so many ways, but between Jeff Carters inability to hit an open net and Michael Leightons weak 5 hole, game 6 will always haunt me. he may be good for an emergency start once in a blue moon but hes not an upgrade over mason or mcelhinney. infact why mcelhinney wasnt called up is weird. Hope Bob keeps up his play and stays healthy. More flyer fans are upset that we gave up a 2015 3rd...which is worthless to me since we will likely add another by then. I'm probably the only one who wanted mason and is happy we have him. These same people hated bob and drive him out of town so take that for what it's worth. I miss bob. But he's better off in Columbus. Mason is a young guy worth taking a chance on. Hopefully he quickly grows a thick skin and takes the mike Richards approach to the media, ill support him and hope for the best. He can let up bad goals as long as he tries and not duck away from shots.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
You'll have a harder time finding a flyers fan upset Leighton is gone than you will a jackets fan upset mason is gone. Ill always respect him for his play in 2010 but he is what he is and that is not an nhl goalie. That run was such a fluke in so many ways, but between Jeff Carters inability to hit an open net and Michael Leightons weak 5 hole, game 6 will always haunt me. he may be good for an emergency start once in a blue moon but hes not an upgrade over mason or mcelhinney. infact why mcelhinney wasnt called up is weird. Hope Bob keeps up his play and stays healthy. More flyer fans are upset that we gave up a 2015 3rd...which is worthless to me since we will likely add another by then. I'm probably the only one who wanted mason and is happy we have him. These same people hated bob and drive him out of town so take that for what it's worth. I miss bob. But he's better off in Columbus. Mason is a young guy worth taking a chance on. Hopefully he quickly grows a thick skin and takes the mike Richards approach to the media, ill support him and hope for the best. He can let up bad goals as long as he tries and not duck away from shots.

As I said once already I saw him meltdown in Buffalo and pulled during the playoffs a few years ago... the Flyers went on to win the series without playing him if I recall..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->