Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Even if his splits are higher on offense than defense, would it suck if he evolved into an Eric Karlsson or Paul Coffey type, using EA Sport like ratings, in the 90s on offense and 70s on defense.
I honestly think this is his floor and he could evolve into a 90OF/80DF type player.
I believe, and could be wrong that he only started playing D in the USHL(or just before). He grew up as a forward.
He needs to stay up and learn at the NHL level.
He moved to D at 14

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I know it's only been two games since he's been back up, but he's so dynamic back there. His poise with the puck is excellent. Even his gaps and stick positioning when defending the rush have looked better. He appears to get into trouble when he has to defend for extended periods in his own zone, but he looks to have picked up quite a bit from his latest demotion. I'm really excited for this kid; he just needs to add like 15lbs of muscle and he will be scary.
lohrei is kind of a unicorn in that there's not a ton of guys he compares to. the guy he reminds me of is a lefty dustin byfuglien without the
menacing side to his game. super dangerous in the O zone, and when he gets stronger, it's gonna be fun to watch him protect pucks as
he glides around.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Regardless of Lohrei's development, Hanifin is a good move. Worst case you make Lindholm expendable and can move him for a center

But of course he has a NMC for several more years So it's very much not as easy as trading him for a Center.

One question is, could you use any of Lindholm, Lohrei, Hanifin on the right side. In a year or two when Lohrei is ready for 20+ min a night would it be time to move on from an aging Carlo, who barring injury is going to to be extremely valuable on the trade market around 2026.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Do we think Lohrei's progression makes a Hanafin move less necessary and instead, they should target bottom pairing depth? Middleton has the ability to play up and into a top 4 role when needed ( which makes him valuable to us as Lindholm struggles with his injury ). He might be the player they need to focus on instead of Hanafin.
They are going to have so much money they can do both

Get Hanifin and win now

Get a center in offseason and repeat

Reactions: NeelyDan

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
lohrei is kind of a unicorn in that there's not a ton of guys he compares to. the guy he reminds me of is a lefty dustin byfuglien without the
menacing side to his game. super dangerous in the O zone, and when he gets stronger, it's gonna be fun to watch him protect pucks as
he glides around.
This is such a good under the radar comp

Reactions: wintersej

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
They are going to have so much money they can do both

Get Hanifin and win now

Get a center in offseason and repeat

Can’t pay swayman, hanifin, a #1 center and Debrusk 6/40.

Rookie contracts like lohrei will help fill out roster spots, but still can’t pay them all.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Rookie contracts like lohrei will help fill out roster spots, but still can’t pay them all.
Where are you finding a #1 center who gets paid big? They aren’t out there. People keep throwing this out when it really isn’t a consideration.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Where are you finding a #1 center who gets paid big? They aren’t out there. People keep throwing this out when it really isn’t a consideration.

Idk that’s for Sweeney to figure out and he needs to figure that out. This team isn’t winning a championship being as weak as they are up the middle.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Right ok. Leave space for a 1C and demand Sweeney figure it out even though there aren’t any that are going to be available.

Yes, having a number 1 center is pretty important. If he truly is a top GM in the league he will find a way to acquire one.

Zegras would be a nice start. He’s young and probably already a low end #1 center and would certainly be the best center on the bruins with plenty of room to grow.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yes, having a number 1 center is pretty important. If he truly is a top GM in the league he will find a way to acquire one.

Zegras would be a nice start. He’s young and probably already a low end #1 center and would certainly be the best center on the bruins with plenty of room to grow.
Yeah that says it all right there. Zegras. Ducks have a “low end 1C” locked up for less than $6M for the next two years and he’s on the block. Happens all the time too

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yeah that says it all right there. Zegras. Ducks have a “low end 1C” locked up for less than $6M for the next two years and he’s on the block. Happens all the time too

Top line centers have been moving a lot in the nhl recently.

Let’s bring this to the roster thread though since this is lohrei

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Top line centers have been moving a lot in the nhl recently.

Let’s bring this to the roster thread though since this is lohrei

Eichel and Lindholm come to mind as examples... but look at what it took to get them (considering that Eichel was absolutely going to be dealt and was going to be having spine surgery never tried on an NHL player).

BOS doesn't have the assets to land a #1C.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

what assets are we giving up for Zegras and Hanifin?

Eichel and Lindholm come to mind as examples... but look at what it took to get them (considering that Eichel was absolutely going to be dealt and was going to be having spine surgery never tried on an NHL player).

BOS doesn't have the assets to land a #1C.

He doesn’t actually want to talk about how it can happen. Just say that “it’s Sweeney’s job” then inevitably go ape shit when an impossibility doesn’t occur.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
@CharasLazyWrister

Moving this to the correct thread.

Ullmark can get the kuemper return of a 1st, mid prospect and 3rd.

Debrusk can get the Monahan return of 1st conditional 3rd (maybe more)

Hanifin can be signed in free agency so don’t have to worry about giving up any assets besides cap.

As for zegras not sure what it would take, but If we are bringing in hanifin I would dangle lohrei and the Debrusk/Ullmark returns for a young top center and add if needed.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
what assets are we giving up for Zegras and Hanifin?

He doesn’t actually want to talk about how it can happen. Just say that “it’s Sweeney’s job” then inevitably go ape shit when an impossibility doesn’t occur.
Zegras should not be a target..........

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
he glides around.
Buff was a brute, so much power and force. I don't see that in Lohrie, I see a skilled slick player. Buff had game no doubt and he could truck people, really hurt them, don't see Lohrie ever being that physical of a player or like you said that menacing type of player.
I see maybe a Dougie Hamilton or going back a few years a Ron Greshner clone at the highest, just don't think he will ever be a physical player with or without the puck.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
He still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the game, when they get rushed into the league it doesn't always happen, Dion Phaneuf, Jake Gardiner, Tyson Barrie, etc. He can play in all situations and on the PK in the AHL.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023

I would much rather keep our young potential than give him up for Hanifin. Watching him blossom into a star in Calgary while we’re stuck with a huge, poorly aging Hanifin contract three years from now makes me feel ill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad