Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
With Hampus healthy there's almost no chance he plays in the playoffs (until an injury). Particularly if Sweeney goes and gets a physical D (that would definitely seal the deal).

It'll be Wotherspoon and the new guy (or Forbort).
I would rather watch a rookie make mistakes and gain valuable experience on the big stage instead of watching guys like Forbort and Wotherspoon make those mistakes and gain nothing.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I agree.

Fans need to understand that he is young and is green. Mistakes will be made.

It's good for him to be 3rd pair with a bit of special teams time right now. I hope he never sees Providence again. To me he seems like a Carlo potential defensively with more offensive chops. Maybe he doesn't defend as well as Carlo at the end of the day, but he should be close and will bring a lot more going the other way. He's a keeper.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
If they play Wotherspoon or Forbort over Lohrei then they'll get what they deserve.

But really, we're talking about Lohrei in the top 4 role next to Carlo or McAvoy. Forbort or Wotherspoon wouldn't play there.

Just telling you how it'll go. I have no real opinion beyond that. But they won't have him get eaten up by playoff speed and strength hockey unless they absolutely have to.

Hampus
Wotherspoon
New Guy
Gryz

Is the whole left I expect we'll see, in no order. Mason would be 5th up.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Just telling you how it'll go. I have no real opinion beyond that. But they won't have him get eaten up by playoff speed and strength hockey unless they absolutely have to.

Hampus
Wotherspoon
New Guy
Gryz

Is the whole left I expect we'll see, in no order. Mason would be 5th up.
They're not playing Wotherspoon in the top 4. Hell he'll probably play 3RD.

I disagree that they wouldn't put him out there for the playoffs. If they were to somehow get Hanifin, I still think he's 3LD, because Hanifin PKs.

Reactions: wintersej

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Growing pains is all that is. You can see the talent and he's not alone out-there. I've seen plenty of mental and physical lapses by all the Bruins D-Men.

Agree, but he is also at the stage where that growth needs to be at the nhl level, not in the ahl. The game is faster, teammates and opponents are better

Reactions: Dr Hook and TCB

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
They're not playing Wotherspoon in the top 4. Hell he'll probably play 3RD.

I disagree that they wouldn't put him out there for the playoffs. If they were to somehow get Hanifin, I still think he's 3LD, because Hanifin PKs.

I never said they would. See this is why Dom named names!

Has looked really bad in the D zone the last 3 games.

That's why he won't be in the top 6 to start the playoffs.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
He needs a lot more work on his D zone to be sure, but his ceiling is very high. But, there's always a chance he turns out to be the next Shattenkirk (excellent on O; horrible on D), but I don't think so.

I would be livid if they included him or Poitras in a trade. Hanifin will be very expensive, and they potentially could get him for free on July 1.

My dream D next year:

Hanifin - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - RD UFA
Wotherspoon spare

Reactions: Ratty

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
He needs a lot more work on his D zone to be sure, but his ceiling is very high. But, there's always a chance he turns out to be the next Shattenkirk (excellent on O; horrible on D), but I don't think so.

I would be livid if they included him or Poitras in a trade. Hanifin will be very expensive, and they potentially could get him for free on July 1.

My dream D next year:

Hanifin - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - RD UFA
Wotherspoon spare
I see a really high ceiling as well. Defensively I think his biggest issue is how causally and softly he throws the puck away in an attempt to make a clear. This needs to get better. However his skating and puck handling is so good that once he gets more experience and confidence he can be a one man breakout.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
if you can move gryz and have a hard nosed punisher on the bottom pair i have no problem letting hi m play in the playoffs

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I see a really high ceiling as well. Defensively I think his biggest issue is how causally and softly he throws the puck away in an attempt to make a clear. This needs to get better. However his skating and puck handling is so good that once he gets more experience and confidence he can be a one man breakout.
I agree with most of this. I don’t think we want one man breakouts. Exciting to watch, but bad hockey. I worry about his strength. He’s already 23. It’s not like he’s 19 and still growing into his adult body. He’s got to be close to that now. And endurance over longer pro seasons. Although anyone can get hurt, but I’m referring to more fatigue, etc. When he doesn’t have the puck he can look a little scary trying to cover in front and board play along the wall. Right now he’s got Lindholm and McAvoy eating up his kind of minutes. So long term what gives?? Who knows…

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Just a wild idea..................if they do pick up a Hanifin or have too many D in another combination, how about Lohrei up on a wing for the playoffs? Size, speed, strength and defensive responsibility. I can see this working.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Just a wild idea..................if they do pick up a Hanifin or have too many D in another combination, how about Lohrei up on a wing for the playoffs? Size, speed, strength and defensive responsibility. I can see this working.
Not going to happen, the team has spent too much time making him a defenseman.

Reactions: Ratty

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Not going to happen, the team has spent too much time making him a defenseman.
I know it's not likely going to happen but just temporarily, since we have so few options to make the team bigger and more skilled at the deadline. We have extra (mediocre) D men. Just a wild idea. Scotty Bowman style. He stuck Robinson up as a forward when he was young and it worked. Did it again in Buffalo with Lindy Ruff.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I agree with most of this. I don’t think we want one man breakouts. Exciting to watch, but bad hockey. I worry about his strength. He’s already 23. It’s not like he’s 19 and still growing into his adult body. He’s got to be close to that now. And endurance over longer pro seasons. Although anyone can get hurt, but I’m referring to more fatigue, etc. When he doesn’t have the puck he can look a little scary trying to cover in front and board play along the wall. Right now he’s got Lindholm and McAvoy eating up his kind of minutes. So long term what gives?? Who knows…
Pair him with Charlie once Griz is no longer on the team.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

My dream D next year:

Hanifin - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - RD UFA
Wotherspoon spare

Same dream D, with that UFA being of the big mean asshole variety.

But I don’t think Hanifin makes it to UFA. If you have to move Ullmark or DeBrusk right now to get some more assets to make the deal, do it, and do it now.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Same dream D, with that UFA being of the big mean asshole variety.

But I don’t think Hanifin makes it to UFA. If you have to move Ullmark or DeBrusk right now to get some more assets to make the deal, do it, and do it now.
I understand what you are saying, but I wouldn't include either Lohrei, Poitras, or a #1 in such a trade. I would, however, trade JDB, Griz, and several others.

Ullmark has a 16-team no-trade contract, so a double deal might be necessary.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think who ever plays with him now is struggling due to missed assignments. It’s just growing pains. Last night was another example of when he’s in, there’s a little confusion .

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

Mason doesn't have a great shot. Which is actually something of an issue, because our other D don't either. That would be even more obvious with him at the wing.

If he'd had a great shot (in his draft year) he'd have been drafted at Makar level.

I'd love to see him develop one!

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Mason doesn't have a great shot. Which is actually something of an issue, because our other D don't either. That would be even more obvious with him at the wing.

If he'd had a great shot (in his draft year) he'd have been drafted at Makar level.

I'd love to see him develop one!
He has a excellent wrist shot,whom ever has coached him out of using it should be fired as his slap shot sucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad