Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
His skating has improved since the start of the year. Calm with the puck. Glad to see him starting to use his physical tools. As he gets more comfortable (and stronger), he'll be more physical.

Kid is going to be valuable come playoff time.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Wish it wasn’t a west coast trip so I could stay up for all the games, but in a little sample size he’s already looked a little improved from a positioning stand point defensive, which I think was his biggest knock. Hope it continues. Offense has always been throughout the year.

Reactions: Bradely

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wish it wasn’t a west coast trip so I could stay up for all the games, but in a little sample size he’s already looked a little improved from a positioning stand point defensive, which I think was his biggest knock. Hope it continues. Offense has always been throughout the year.

His offense is growing with his confidence, he has been downright explosive in the offensive zone the past couple of games

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Can’t wait for him to fill out his frame a bit.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
He's already one of the team's most exciting players. This is a good passing team, but is there anybody better than him? Good to see him on the power play.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
I know it's only been two games since he's been back up, but he's so dynamic back there. His poise with the puck is excellent. Even his gaps and stick positioning when defending the rush have looked better. He appears to get into trouble when he has to defend for extended periods in his own zone, but he looks to have picked up quite a bit from his latest demotion. I'm really excited for this kid; he just needs to add like 15lbs of muscle and he will be scary.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He's already one of the team's most exciting players. This is a good passing team, but is there anybody better than him? Good to see him on the power play.
I would like to vote for McAvoy , the seams he finds in tight in the d zone are worldly.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I am astonished about the development he did in a very short period of time this season. Every time he got called up again, he came back as a better player and with more confidence. His offensive game has the potential to be elite and first line worthy. The question is if he can develop his defensive game and physicality to be anything more than average. If yes, he has the tools to be a mainstay on the first defensive pair for a lot of years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
McAvoy said he’s going to be special so I’m good here

Needs to add 15-20 lbs and train brain to be harder on puck below the dot

He looks like his agility, smarts, and pterodactyl-like wingspan (and length) makes him able to defend without pushing and trying to physically waste energy moving guys off a spot

Still has scary plays but they are becoming less frequent

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
McAvoy said he’s going to be special so I’m good here

Needs to add 15-20 lbs and train brain to be harder on puck below the dot

He looks like his agility, smarts, and pterodactyl-like wingspan (and length) makes him able to defend without pushing and trying to physically waste energy moving guys off a spot

Still has scary plays but they are becoming less frequent
Agree with most of your post certainly needs to put on some weight. He also needs to be harder to play against in particular in front of his goalie. Has to box out better and clear the front of the net better

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agree with most of your post certainly needs to put on some weight. He also needs to be harder to play against in particular in front of his goalie. Has to box out better and clear the front of the net better
Yup exactly and it’s something McQuaid or whoever can work with

Plus his D group have been on All Time teams and Finals so can impart wisdom/advice

Lot to like here

Reactions: bme44

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Even if his splits are higher on offense than defense, would it suck if he evolved into an Eric Karlsson or Paul Coffey type, using EA Sport like ratings, in the 90s on offense and 70s on defense.
I honestly think this is his floor and he could evolve into a 90OF/80DF type player.
I believe, and could be wrong that he only started playing D in the USHL(or just before). He grew up as a forward.
He needs to stay up and learn at the NHL level.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Do we think Lohrei's progression makes a Hanafin move less necessary and instead, they should target bottom pairing depth? Middleton has the ability to play up and into a top 4 role when needed ( which makes him valuable to us as Lindholm struggles with his injury ). He might be the player they need to focus on instead of Hanafin.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Do we think Lohrei's progression makes a Hanafin move less necessary and instead, they should target bottom pairing depth? Middleton has the ability to play up and into a top 4 role when needed ( which makes him valuable to us as Lindholm struggles with his injury ). He might be the player they need to focus on instead of Hanafin.

You get Hanifin if you can. Hanifin to me you get him for this year and then extend him long-term.

Meanwhile, Middleton has a year left but I'm not interested in offering him a long-term extension after this contract is done. I don't care how tough he is you don't give guys like that approaching their 30s term.

They'll pay somewhat less for Middleton but it won't be cheap but they are also getting the lesser player now, and the lesser contribution in the years moving forward.

Middleton has a pile of fans on here but he's fairly inexperienced overall at the NHL level despite his age. Meanwhile Hanifin has played the most games of any player from the 2015 draft.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Shoot, I was told I was crazy just a couple weeks ago for suggesting that Lohrei should be a top 4 d-man, at the very least by next season. So not sure people are ready to jump on the Lohrei bandwagon just yet and would rather Hanifin.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Hanifin isn’t a “necessary” move, Lohrei or no Lohrei.

We need to fill out the forward roster. We need to add scoring touch up front and physicality.

Hanifin feels like yet another move that shouldn’t, and obviously will not happen, that Sweeney will end up getting bashed relentlessly for by half the board.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hanifin isn’t a “necessary” move, Lohrei or no Lohrei.

We need to fill out the forward roster. We need to add scoring touch up front and physicality.

Hanifin feels like yet another move that shouldn’t, and obviously will not happen, that Sweeney will end up getting bashed relentlessly for by half the board.

I think they need to take a long look at the top 4 because as it stands, they need Lohrei to perform as one if they want to make a run in the playoffs. Lindholm is week to week with an injury and has been a lesser version of himself from last year. Gryz hasn't been the same all year either and has been injured frequently. We've had Wotherspoon and Forbort taking duties up on the top pairing with McAvoy, which isn't ideal. We're another LD injury away from giving a call to Doctor Cross and seeing if he's available to suit up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad