Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Iron Man was lame as hell.

There is a reason Marvel still had the rights to The Avengers and it isn't because they had the MCU planned out back in 1999.
Is there anywhere I can read about the original Marvel Comics movie Rights sale? Just curious to see how it all went down in the beginning and how Disney/Marvel ended up getting many rights back

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Is there anywhere I can read about the original Marvel Comics movie Rights sale? Just curious to see how it all went down in the beginning and how Disney/Marvel ended up getting many rights back

I think there's bits and pieces in various articles, but I don't think I've comes across anything really substantive.

This article gets into some of the history, but more focuses on Feiges vision

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ChAB&usg=AOvVaw2bZnITBItP_gzPm0fThUzj&ampcf=1

The way I understood it though is that Marvel was basically fighting off bankruptcy and selling off movies rights to stay afloat.

The decision to create their own studio and release their own films on the characters they had left was a hail Mary play that if it failed, would have been their end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadpool8812

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
marvel_rights_4444x3556.png

Avengers IP, Assemble: the wild, circuitous path to Marvel getting its own brands back

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Talking to people around the office and I was surprised every one agreed: we are done with Marvel. Great 10 year run but we need a break.

Obviously most people don't feel that way but it was nice to see a lot of people feel that way.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Talking to people around the office and I was surprised every one agreed: we are done with Marvel. Great 10 year run but we need a break.

Obviously most people don't feel that way but it was nice to see a lot of people feel that way.

The only reason I’m sticking with it right now is that it won’t be Iron Man and Captain America centric anymore. That gives them a chance to make it fresh.

Reactions: Jussi

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC

Although some disagree I get what you're saying and I'm nearly on the same page as you. It was a great 11 years and we were fortunate enough to get a satisfying ending, something not all franchises can say they have.

I'll definitely still catch the next installments of the MCU but I'm more than satisfied with Endgame as the end.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not to mention the next movie is still a ways away. Basically an entire year off.

What a laughable comment.

Also, why is it “nice to see” that from other people?

It was nice to see I was not alone to think that it is ok for things to end or go away for a bit. With the internet everything is non-stop and it always leads to mediocrity.

Good for you if you are excited to see Marvel run out of steam.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It was nice to see I was not alone to think that it is ok for things to end or go away for a bit. With the internet everything is non-stop and it always leads to mediocrity.

Well that's pretty much the childish thinking of "I don't like team X to succeed, I hope they suck!!!111!!" thinking. So you're an anti-fan, yay...

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
That 30% deal seems poorly sourced, and the story has not been picked up by any other outlets from what I can tell. I've never heard of the site before either. I'm guessing there's zero legitimacy to it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

I'm not sure I follow your logic

For example, if I'm sick of eating at Subway, I don't hope for the temporary closure of franchises

I just stop eating there

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
That 30% deal seems poorly sourced, and the story has not been picked up by any other outlets from what I can tell. I've never heard of the site before either. I'm guessing there's zero legitimacy to it.

Same. Would be nice if they could work something out though. After the build-up they've done to basically make spiderman fill the role of ironman, it would be sad to see that story basically fade away.

honestly though, I feel like this is a crazy awesome spot we are currently in. Now that Marvel has Xmen and F4 on top of their current line ups, the potential is crazy.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

For example, if I'm sick of eating at Subway, I don't hope for the temporary closure of franchises

I just stop eating there

Disney is not going out of business anytime soon. I just expect Marvel movies to start losing their allure.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I just stop eating there

I don't think you actually said you want Marvel to fail but the 'logic' that some people have a hard time understanding is how you can get 'sick' of something that demands 2-3 hours of your time only 2-3 times a year. Like how frequently do you have to eat at Subway to get sick of it? If you're only eating there a couple times a year, and they also have the option of burgers, tacos, and fried chicken, would you still get sick of it?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion it's just kind of hard to understand, especially in the era of TV streaming where all the services are competing putting out tons of great shows that you can binge watch. And like I alluded to above it's one thing if they start losing their touch but Marvel so far not only have they always put out top quality movies but they continuously mix it up with new characters and themes. I guess some people could have a hard time keeping up with it all but generally all their movies work well enough as stand alones, or at least within their own collection (Iron Man 1-3, Guardians 1-2, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad