Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'll give it a shot:

18. Doctor Strange
17. Thor: The Dark World
16. Iron Man 3
15. The Incredible Hulk
14. Iron Man 2

Bottom tier, didn't really care for any of these. Likely won't watch again.

13. Black Panther (Don't get the hype with this one, saw it this weekend and was a really average movie)
12. Ant-Man
11. Thor
10. Iron Man

Decent movies, but none of them really shone for me.

9. Avengers: Age of Ultron
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2

Great tier, watched these a few times.

6. Spider-Man: Homecoming
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
3. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
1. Captain America: Civil War

Best of the bunch. I'm a really big fan of any of the movies with Cap, as I think he is just the best character they've made. I probably have Spiderman higher than most, but I really enjoyed that movie and Keaton was the best villain we've seen in the MCU in my opinion.

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Not enough people dislike Dr. Strange. :naughty:

Film had great effects and it was an entertaining watch but throughout the entire film I could not possibly have cared less what happened to anyone. I liked the 'twist' of the final battle scene, but that was it.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not enough people dislike Dr. Strange. :naughty:

Film had great effects and it was an entertaining watch but throughout the entire film I could not possibly have cared less what happened to anyone. I liked the 'twist' of the final battle scene, but that was it.

I liked it but I'm biased because I like the comic book character.

I found the combat sequences pretty unique and I thought Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One was decent.

I can see how some might see it as pretty average.

I find it hard to think of it as worse than Thor: Dark World or Iron Man 2 or 3 though. ;)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Im sorta biased in that I always hated Dr. Strange.

Well maybe not hated, but when he showed up on the Spider-Man Animated Series I really didn't care for him. I just thought he was a corny old man.

I genuinely like IronMan 2 and 3 a lot more than other people seem to. Its probably because of where/when I jumped onto the MCU train so when I watched them I did it simply as back story and character building for the great movies to follow which I had actually already seen.

I love the fight scenes and music in IM2. Also its the only time we really get any kind of true Iron Man & War Machine team up.

IM3 I like less than 2, but I still find the PTSD Tony Stark thing to be a great angle; its a great compliment to his character in Civil War.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I liked parts of IM 2 and IM 3 (his relationship with the kid was classic and I liked Sam Rockwell's douchey turn as Hammer) but I found the antagonists lacking (Mickey Rourke and Guy Pearce).

Reactions: tacogeoff

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Haven't seen BP yet

1. The Avengers
2. Captain America: TWS
3. GOTG
4. Captain America: CW
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. GOTG2

The above order can change on any given day. Same goes for next tier.

7. Spiderman: Homecoming
8. Iron Man
9. Captain America: TFA
10. Ant Man
11. Thor
12. Avengers: AOU
13. Dr. Strange

These are by far the worst ones. Iron Man 3 and Hulk aren't even watchable as background noise to me.

14. Thor: TDW
15. Iron Man 2
16. Iron Man 3
17. The Incredible Hulk

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just recently took on the daunting(Though it should be fun) task of attempting to watch everything Marvel has released(Well, every movie, and TV Series at least) to this point before Infinity Wars.

Watching it not in the order they were all released in, but the chronological order they occur in as well, at least as closely as I can.

So far I'm through The First Avenger, season 1 of Agent Carter, and half of season 2 of Agent Carter.

Watching The First Avenger again was a reminder that year that movie is pretty damn good, especially considering it came out so early on in the MCU and before they had really locked in a successful structure to the movies they released. It'll probably rank higher on my rankings once I have watched them all again.

This is also my first time watching Agent Carter(Didn't even know it really existed until I decided to do this and found out about it). It's a pretty cool show that does a good job introducing you to the technologies that kind of lead the MCU into what it is now with everything that's going on. Also very neat getting to see who exactly Tony made Jarvis sort of in honor of. And seeing Tony's father at a younger age puts a lot more perspective on the Civil War story line between Bucky, Tony, and Cap.

Definitely enjoying this so far.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I absolutely loved The Avengers when it first came out and watched it half a dozen times or so, but I don't think it's aged particularly well. Age Of Ultron was very disappointing

Other than Rockwell's performance, I'm not sure why Iron Man 2 seems to be so disliked. Iron Man 3 was definitely the worst of the trilogy

Thor 1 & 2 are just an unmemorable blur to me

It took me a second viewing of Guardians Of The Galaxy to fully appreciate it, but I'm not sure any amount of viewings will have me appreciating the sequel

Had much higher hopes for Homecoming, but was thoroughly unimpressed with the writing

Doctor Strange wasn't as good as I'd thought it would be, but still a worthy origin tale. Ant-Man was adequate as well

I actually quite enjoyed The Incredible Hulk and Norton's performance

In terms of quality and consistency, the Captain America films have likely set the standard, though I consider Civil War to be more of an Avengers flick

Black Panther was boring and disappointing

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think part of what annoyed me about Iron Man 2 is that you had Obidiah Stain using arc rector technology to beat Stark in 1 and then you had Rourke using the same technology to beat Stark in 2. Yes he is using whips this time.

I actually found Rockwell pretty funny but I guess I’m in the minority.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think part of what annoyed me about Iron Man 2 is that you had Obidiah Stain using arc rector technology to beat Stark in 1 and then you had Rourke using the same technology to beat Stark in 2. Yes he is using whips this time.

I actually found Rockwell pretty funny but I guess I’m in the minority.

Somebody should've explained to him that not every arms dealer is a carefree playboy

He was trying way too hard to be Robert Downey Jr./Tony Stark

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Somebody should've explained to him that not every arms dealer is a carefree playboy

He was trying way too hard to be Robert Downey Jr./Tony Stark

That was the whole point of the character. He was desperately trying and failing to be Tony Stark.

From the very beginning, he just wanted to be acknowledged by Tony.

You could argue that Tony's arrogant dismissiveness of Hammer led to his jealous involvement with Vanko and the deaths of countless innocent people.

Ironically, you could say the same about Aldrich Killian in Iron Man 3.

He also created Ultron.

More often than not, Tony is his own worst enemy.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That was the whole point of the character. He was desperately trying and failing to be Tony Stark.

From the very beginning, he just wanted to be acknowledged by Tony.

You could argue that Tony's arrogant dismissiveness of Hammer led to his jealous involvement with Vanko and the deaths of countless innocent people.

Ironically, you could say the same about Aldrich Killian in Iron Man 3.

He also created Ultron.

More often than not, Tony is his own worst enemy.

To me, it just came across as Sam Rockwell the actor trying too hard to be cool and quirky on screen

All biases against Rockwell aside, was it ever established that his character was a genius level scientist? It sure didn't seem so, otherwise he wouldn't have needed to hire Whiplash

Secondly, if he was desperately trying to be Tony Stark, why didn't he have a suit built for himself to wear?

However it ended up that Rockwell was playing a wannabe Stark, whether it's the fault of the director, the writers, etc., it should never have made it to screen

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If he had built his own suit it would have been Obidiah Stain all over again.

Basically he was supposed to be the bumbling comic relief and the means by which Whiplash could get his revenge.

He ran his own arms company and during the race sequence and the Capitol hearing was repeatedly humiliated by Stark.

I thought he was entertaining in that role but some disagree I guess.

He wasn’t totally useless in that the War Machine upgrades were actually pretty competent aside from the missile that didn’t work.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If he had built his own suit it would have been Obidiah Stain all over again.

Basically he was supposed to be the bumbling comic relief and the means by which Whiplash could get his revenge.

He ran his own arms company and during the race sequence and the Capitol hearing was repeatedly humiliated by Stark.

I thought he was entertaining in that role but some disagree I guess.

He wasn’t totally useless in that the War Machine upgrades were actually pretty competent aside from the missile that didn’t work.

The guy is head of an arms company dealing in multi-billion dollar deals

That's the wrong guy to be using as "bumbling comic relief"

The whole take on the character was flawed from the outset

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have almost no preconceived notions of any Marvel baddies outside of Spider-Man or X-Men so the liberties taken with the characters so far have had no negative impact on my perspective.

Hammer was never very interesting but I saw him as purely a functional character. And I also really liked the Mandarin twist in 3. I can’t imagine he was so great a villain in print that it would justify including such a ridiculous character in film in a non-ironic way.

Thinking about sequels; considering where things are going with the MCU (more small team ups, less big team ups), and something Coogler has mentioned....I would LOVE a Black Panther/Spider-Man team up with Kraven the Hunter as the big bad.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Winter Soldier was great because it was only three of them. Plus Nick Fury was great. Not sure why they decided to sideline him.

Civil War struggled in parts because of the sheer number of characters on screen IMO.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Really curious what they do after 2019. What else is there to do? Doubt theres more IM or CA movies, GOTG3 is the only known thing, maybe a 3rd Spiderman movie? 2nd Dr. Strange and Black Panther movies? Captain Marvel sequel? :dunno:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Winter Soldier was great because it was only three of them. Plus Nick Fury was great. Not sure why they decided to sideline him.

Civil War struggled in parts because of the sheer number of characters on screen IMO.

We're going to have to agree to disagree yet again

Fury is supposed to be a hardened military man, and yet nothing about Jackson's portrayal of him suggests this

Honestly, I don't see anything "great" about it

(yes, I know, it's a different movie, but my point remains)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Really curious what they do after 2019. What else is there to do? Doubt theres more IM or CA movies, GOTG3 is the only known thing, maybe a 3rd Spiderman movie? 2nd Dr. Strange and Black Panther movies? Captain Marvel sequel? :dunno:

I think a lot will depend on mergers and agreements. With Disney buying a huge chunk of FOX, I would think inserting X-Men and Fantastic 4 will be a top priority.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
If it were up to me with them acquiring the Fox characters they would start out with a proper Phoenix Saga whole building up the FF4 and Dr.Doom to be a major character again.

Dr.Doom should be the next major Villian in the MCU, unless they use the infinity stones to reset everything so they can recast some characters

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
IM2 is great if only for Scarlet Johannsen.

tumblr_n632azSrcx1s8gytco4_r1_250.gif

That is peak ScarJo right there.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Thor out on Blu Ray today. Watched it again. Still love it. Maybe even more than before.

Thor and Valk have great chemistry. I think it’s probably fertile ground for either the Valk movie, or more likely a future Thor to explore a rom-com angle.

Also I think the all lady team up thing they keep talking about could naturally come about through some mixture of Valk with Nebula, Gamora, and maybe involve Thor and Hulk in minor roles or to use Banner as a device to get Black Widow teamed up with the cosmic ladies. An Avengers-lite movie of Valk, Gamora, Nebula, Thor and Hulk I think would make sense; a majority female team and a smaller team up as Feige has envisioned for the MCU going forward.

Of course I say it makes sense now, who knows wtf might be happening going forward from IW and Avengers 4. And surely any all lady team up would be fronted by Captain Marvel anyway so probably just disregard my post.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Damn Black Panther just got another $41M and 4th week in a row at #1 beating out A Wrinkle in Time which I was sure would be #1.

Feige has confirmed that there will be a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad