Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Stan Lee Is Confident Marvel Studios Is Working On Regaining The X-MEN And FANTASTIC FOUR Rights.

"Sooner or later, they’re going to get the rights back to all our characters," Lee promises. "They’re working on it, and they’re still making X-Men movies and stuff. Don’t worry about it. You’ll get more Marvel superheroes than you’ll have time to look at in the next few years."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...g-the-x-men-and-fantastic-four-rights-a153809

Fantastic 4 and X men could be big for them. With some of the current big name heroes either dying to retiring they'll need something big to fill the void with the uncertainty of the newer heroes being able to draw

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Got to wonder how much this would cost. Or if it's more an agreement like with Sony. Fox has a tons of stuff being filmed right now so I find it hard to believe they would just give it up without a big return.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Fantastic 4 and X men could be big for them. With some of the current big name heroes either dying to retiring they'll need something big to fill the void with the uncertainty of the newer heroes being able to draw

Marvel also does a cool thing with its animated TV shows where they can kind of test market new main characters.

Their current animated Avengers lineup has basically all the new movie people like Ant Man, Wasp, Black Panther, Ms./Captain Marvel. Prior to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1, they had the team in a Spider-Man episode.

With how good DC is with animated stuff, Marvel seems to use it better.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Stan Lee Is Confident Marvel Studios Is Working On Regaining The X-MEN And FANTASTIC FOUR Rights.

"Sooner or later, they’re going to get the rights back to all our characters," Lee promises. "They’re working on it, and they’re still making X-Men movies and stuff. Don’t worry about it. You’ll get more Marvel superheroes than you’ll have time to look at in the next few years."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...g-the-x-men-and-fantastic-four-rights-a153809

I couldn't really care less about whether they get X-Men back or not. I like the movies FOX is making, and I think healthy competition in the comic book blockbuster market is good for us movie-goers. It would be great for them to get the Fantastic Four back though - that material is currently being horribly mis-managed.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I couldn't really care less about whether they get X-Men back or not. I like the movies FOX is making, and I think healthy competition in the comic book blockbuster market is good for us movie-goers. It would be great for them to get the Fantastic Four back though - that material is currently being horribly mis-managed.
Thing is some of us want to see some specific matches like for me Wolverine and Hulk! Then again who knows if the next actor to play Logan will be any good.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Thing is some of us want to see some specific matches like for me Wolverine and Hulk! Then again who knows if the next actor to play Logan will be any good.

Yeah Wolverine/Hulk is definitely a missed opportunity this way, but it's not the end of the world as far as I'm concerned.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Since this is being bumped Vanity Fair did an extensive piece on the MCU :

www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/marvel-cover-story/amp

I'm still amazed at what they've managed to build with the MCU. From a gamble where Marvel had their entire existence at stake on the first film to having a franchise that reliably produces 2 to 3 mega blockbusters a year.

The quotes from Fiege also really points to a finale element to Avengers 4, with the MCU continuing on, but with a big shift in focus (with no details on want that really means).

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
GOTG 2 was released on Netflix yesterday so I finally got around to watching it last night.

I did not like it very much. I genuinely hated most of the "comedy". The Tazerface bits were just awful and they turned Drax into some kind of quippy moron instead of a funny straight man.

Very disappointing. Not even in the same league as Thor: Ragnarok.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Pre Infinity War ranking time!

18. Thor: The Dark World*
17. The Incredible Hulk
16. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
15. Iron Man 3
14. Thor
13. Dr. Strange
12. Iron Man 2
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Black Panther
9. Ant-Man
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Iron Man
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Captain America: Civil War
2. Thor: Ragnarok
1. The Avengers

Rankings aside, what a remarkable achievement this experiment has been. Going on 20 films of specific continuity now, and there’s no reason to believe they can’t keep it going for another decade. Unreal.

*haven’t actually seen it

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Since this is being bumped Vanity Fair did an extensive piece on the MCU :

www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/marvel-cover-story/amp

I'm still amazed at what they've managed to build with the MCU. From a gamble where Marvel had their entire existence at stake on the first film to having a franchise that reliably produces 2 to 3 mega blockbusters a year.

The quotes from Fiege also really points to a finale element to Avengers 4, with the MCU continuing on, but with a big shift in focus (with no details on want that really means).

There’s a theory out there that Dr Strange uses his powers to shift realities thereby introducing new actors into the roles of all the Marvel characters.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

17. The Incredible Hulk
15. Iron Man 3
14. Thor
13. Dr. Strange
12. Iron Man 2
10. Black Panther
9. Ant-Man
6. Iron Man
1. The Avengers

Rankings aside, what a remarkable achievement this experiment has been. Going on 20 films of specific continuity now, and there’s no reason to believe they can’t keep it going for another decade. Unreal.

Wow, no idea how someone can dislike that movie that much. Especially if you still liked Guardians 1 enough to have it in your Top 10.

For me, going into Infinity Wars I'd rank them as:

18. Thor: The Dark World
17. Iron Man 3
16. The Incredible Hulk
15. Iron Man 2

This is the bottom tier of movies. Movies that generally weren't very good and ones I have only watched once to this point.

14. Doctor Strange
13. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
12. Ant-Man
11. Thor
10. Iron Man
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Black Panther
7. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Captain America: The First Avenger

This would be the second tier for me: All are decent to good movies, none of them are excellent. A lot of origin story movies in this group which I think is pretty accurate of Marvels run so far.

5. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
3. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2
1. Captain America: Civil War

That makes up my top echelon of Marvel films to this point. And honestly it was extremely difficult to rank that Top 5, and if you asked me to rank them again tomorrow it would probably look different again. Love all 5 of those movies and have watched them all a number of times already. I think Civil War is the clear #1 for me, but after that 2-5 is a coin toss. I really enjoyed the Comedy in Guardians 2 and Ragnarok more then any other movie to this point so they got 2 and 3 for those reasons.

I plan to watch all 18 movies again between now and Infinity Wars release. Netflix will make it easy for a lot of them at least. It truly is remarkable what Marvel has done with these films. Even the bad ones like The Hulk and The Dark World, while not great movies I still remember after watching them thinking it was still worth at least seeing them.

Infinity Wars for those of us as invested in the Marvel stuff as we are, is going to be a truly awesome experience. I dont doubt it will be the #1 movie on my list once I've seen it.

Reactions: Voight

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I’m totally invested in these movies; but I can’t help thinking that we just had our ‘glory days’ for the MCU and things are about to get too big, too complicated, and stray too far from the source material that made the characters beloved in the first place.

As for GOTG2, obviously it’s all totally subjective but the humour and goofy jokes didn’t work for me at all and bascially spoiled the movie for me. Felt similar to The Last Jedi in that the humor was just so bad and felt so out of place that I couldn’t take anything in the movie seriously anymore. Felt like I was watching Space Balls.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Lol @Pilky01 what's up with the Last Jedi obsession?

Left out Thor: Ragnarok as I have not viewed it yet. Overall #1 Marvel movie for me would be Deadpool.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Captain America Civil War
4. Spiderman Homecoming
5. The Avengers
6. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
8. Dr. Strange
9. Black Panther
10. Iron Man
11. Ant Man
12. Thor
13. Iron Man 2
14. Thor the Dark World
15. The Incredible Hulk
16. Iron Man 3
17. Avengers Age of Ultron

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Lol @Pilky01 what's up with the Last Jedi obsession?

lol

I watched GOTG2 almost immediately after TLJ, so I can’t help but associate them. Also they’re both set in space and parts of massive Disney cinematic universes.

I should maybe give GOTG2 another shot but so much of it put me off. The gold people being half slapstick, half menacing was bad, the Tazerface jokes were so bad they have basically become a meme on the Marvel subreddit, the slapstick CGI faces, Drax being so loud and obnoxious.....I just didn’t like it.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
lol

I watched GOTG2 almost immediately after TLJ, so I can’t help but associate them. Also they’re both set in space and parts of massive Disney cinematic universes.

I should maybe give GOTG2 another shot but so much of it put me off. The gold people being half slapstick, half menacing was bad, the Tazerface jokes were so bad they have basically become a meme on the Marvel subreddit, the slapstick CGI faces, Drax being so loud and obnoxious.....I just didn’t like it.

got ya. I personally found the humor not too different from GOTG.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
got ya. I personally found the humor not too different from GOTG.

In fairness it’s all the same crew so it’s mostly just my response. I mean, the first one ended with a literal dance-off, which is something I keep forgetting about it...

I liked the song selection in Vol 1 more than 2 also....or maybe just the concept was fresher so I liked it more, I dunno.

1-16 on most any MCU list are all damn entertaining movies....which is f***ing incredible.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
In fairness it’s all the same crew so it’s mostly just my response. I mean, the first one ended with a literal dance-off, which is something I keep forgetting about it...

I liked the song selection in Vol 1 more than 2 also....or maybe just the concept was fresher so I liked it more, I dunno.

1-16 on most any MCU list are all damn entertaining movies....which is ****ing incredible.

True. There are a few I would never watch again though. I'm mostly looking at you Age of Ultron lol.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Even Ultron I will very happily watch if only for the superhero set piece stuff. I think the rise in quality of the films has made people start to judge the earlier ones, or ‘smaller’ one like Ant-Man (no pun intended) a bit more harshly.

I’m very happy to enjoy a ‘fun little superhero movie’....not everything has to be a cinematic touchstone.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

17. The Incredible Hulk
15. Iron Man 3
14. Thor
13. Dr. Strange
12. Iron Man 2
10. Black Panther
9. Ant-Man
6. Iron Man
1. The Avengers

Have never seen GOTG 1 or 2 ranked that low. Thor TDW should be last or close to it IMO. I've seen it and it was really average.

My rankings (that nobody cares for)

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Captain America Civil War
4. Avengers Age of Ultron
6. Spider-Man Homecoming
7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
8. Avengers
9. Thor: Ragnarok
10. Iron Man
11. Black Panther
12. Ant Man
13. Thor
14. Iron Man 3
15. Iron Man 2
16. Thor The Dark World
17. The Incredible Hulk

Seeing Black Panther tomorrow, but I expect it to be top 10 or close to it, based off what I have seen & know.

1-16 on most any MCU list are all damn entertaining movies....which is ****ing incredible.

GOTG sound track was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad