Confirmed with Link: Martinook 2 Year Extension ($2M AAV)

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Martinook
By Chip Alexander
January 29, 2019 12:45 PM,
Updated January 29, 2019 12:53 PM

“Jordan has really fit in well with our group and provides veteran leadership both on and off the ice,” general manager Don Waddell said in a statement.
In the May 3 trade with the Coyotes, the Canes acquired Martinook and Arizona’s fourth-round selection in the 2018 NHL Draft for center Marcus Kruger and Carolina’s third-round pick in the 2018 Draft. The Canes also retained 10 percent of Kruger’s salary this season.
Asked after the trade to describe his style of play, Martinook said, “A hard-working guy who takes pride in penalty killing. I may not be the fastest guy on the ice but I try to be the most hard-working.”
Canes sign forward Jordan Martinook to a two-year contract extension

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Not that it means anything, but during one of the autograph events earlier this year I joked with Jordan that you have to have a J-name to be a captain here and he went "Jaccob's next!" And Jaccob basically said "no way." Not that I'd expect a different response from him, but it was funny nonetheless.

I hope we don't rush into naming one of Aho/Slavin captain, I'm not sure either of them is necessarily ready and like Joe said we don't want to "Eric" one of them. I lean a bit towards Aho over Slavin, even though he's not a center of attention type, I think he's got that extra level of competitiveness where he's not afraid to hold his teammates to a high standard.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I guess Williams finishes his career here, probably signs another 2 year contract and will retire the captain.
I think he signs for 2 years for close to this season's salary. Something like 2yrs/$4.8M. Maybe the first year is more in actual salary--$3M then 1.8M. Depending on how well he holds up physically I can see him being a practice leader but mostly a healthy scratch in 20-21.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
He is on this team. That, he has proven. On all teams? Probably not. But the Canes NEED players like him, not just plumbers. He's top 6 on this team all day. Unless Dundon goes out and drops another 10-20m this summer to round out the top lines.

He Proved it for 6 weeks!

I expect our top 6 to include TT, Aho, Svech, NN and Necas very soon. Let's use the Ferland money to really get a Top 6 forward.

Otherwise we're setting ourselves up to have a pretty expensive 3rd line with Jordo and Ferland.

Book it, he has David Clarkson written all over him

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He Proved it for 6 weeks!

I expect our top 6 to include TT, Aho, Svech, NN and Necas very soon. Let's use the Ferland money to really get a Top 6 forward.

Otherwise we're setting ourselves up to have a pretty expensive 3rd line with Jordo and Ferland.

Book it, he has David Clarkson written all over him

He's way too good a skater to become Clarkson....but I agree that Ferland isn't the type of player the Canes should be overpaying at this point. He's top9 at best on a contender's roster...

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Martinook signing is fine. $200k overpayment maybe not a big deal. He’s a glue guy.

Aho = Modano, most talented player but doesn’t want the spotlight

Slavin = Not of the highest pedigree but is a leader

Williams whether he plays next year or not will have impact on this team. He came back to Carolina for a reason. This is home and he loves it here.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
You can keep saying this all you want, and that's fine. If all *you* care about is the 2019-2020 season, that's your prerogative -- but the FO is responsible for caring for more than that. And overpaying Ferland for *many years* is risky, especially as our younger players develop and need to be paid.

unfortunately, this is the answer. he's a damn good player right now and it's unfortunate that he knows how stupid someone is going to get on july 1st for his services. we're not even entirely positive $6 million gets it done. it's happening in every sport that players are starting to realize the equity they're burning in not taking the first available opportunity to offer your services to the market. when you're between billionaire egos and checkbooks, you're in a good spot. this is a business decision for ferland and we'd have to be bonkers to write him a blank check. whoever signed off on the deal likely thought they could work the season-long appeal on him to get him to forgo free agency in the event he worked out. that approach didn't take. regardless of the asset we lost in exchange, that's the bounces sometimes when you're small market. we looked to be in a similar way with jeff skinner based on the sparse return, but it's still a good thing at the end of the day to not be on the hook for 8x8 for him. some may disagree, but these players that play with finances on the brain do tend to see observable change in their jump when they're six months and 80 games from buying a yacht. plus with ferland we have the unfortunate addition of his stylistic comparables all falling off a cliff into their early 30's.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
unfortunately, this is the answer. he's a damn good player right now and it's unfortunate that he knows how stupid someone is going to get on july 1st for his services. we're not even entirely positive $6 million gets it done. it's happening in every sport that players are starting to realize the equity they're burning in not taking the first available opportunity to offer your services to the market. when you're between billionaire egos and checkbooks, you're in a good spot. this is a business decision for ferland and we'd have to be bonkers to write him a blank check. whoever signed off on the deal likely thought they could work the season-long appeal on him to get him to forgo free agency in the event he worked out. that approach didn't take. regardless of the asset we lost in exchange, that's the bounces sometimes when you're small market. we looked to be in a similar way with jeff skinner based on the sparse return, but it's still a good thing at the end of the day to not be on the hook for 8x8 for him. some may disagree, but these players that play with finances on the brain do tend to see observable change in their jump when they're six months and 80 games from buying a yacht. plus with ferland we have the unfortunate addition of his stylistic comparables all falling off a cliff into their early 30's.

I don't know if that even is an apt decscription. Sara Civ some weeks back described his situation as "what's right for his family" or to that tune. Ferland is about to sign the contract that pretty much defines how much he's going to earn on his whole professional hockey career, and for how many years he will be paid a guaranteed income. He may very well be looking for the years instead the highest three seasons salary.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
It's pointless to keep arguing with these two trolls. Hamilton and Ferland are useless scrubs, lucky to have NHL jobs.

LOL, During the last Hurricanes game vs the Senators, Gord Miller and Mike Johnson were discussing Ferland and BOTH agreed that while he's a nice player, that they probably wouldn't sign him to a Tom Wilson like deal.

Why? Because he's not good enough to be a Top 6 forward and he's scored 2 goals in his last 20 games.

Are they trolls?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
LOL, During the last Hurricanes game vs the Senators, Gord Miller and Mike Johnson were discussing Ferland and BOTH agreed that while he's a nice player, that they probably wouldn't sign him to a Tom Wilson like deal.

Why? Because he's not good enough to be a Top 6 forward and he's scored 2 goals in his last 20 games.

Are they trolls?
So I once read the Finnish translation of John Milton's Paradise Lost dating back to early years of the 20th century. For some reason, the good translator had the mind to add a footnote on the excerpt where Asmodeus or one of the guys was ripping a new one for his fellow Lords of Hell, stating: "This here appears to be humour."

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
So I once read the Finnish translation of John Milton's Paradise Lost dating back to early years of the 20th century. For some reason, the good translator had the mind to add a footnote on the excerpt where Asmodeus or one of the guys was ripping a new one for his fellow Lords of Hell, stating: "This here appears to be humour."

Was he so certain that Finns wouldn't recognize humor otherwise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad