Confirmed with Link: Martinook 2 Year Extension ($2M AAV)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hopefully still under $2 million. He's a good utility knife but not far above replacement level. I had no idea he was a RFA. He has 3 assists all year and I can't say that surprises me, can't remember him ever making a nice pass over the past 50 games.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'll be very surprised if he takes a pay cut from his current $1.8M. I'd guess between $2M and $2.25M per year. Especially since I think that buys out his first UFA year.

He signed $1.8 million x 2 years coming off a 24 and 25 points seasons. Since signing Martinook has paced 15 point (2017-18) and 21 point (2018-19) years. So his productions has declined since his last deal, though as you state this would buy out one UFA year.

Not saying they won't resign him but McGinn's contract runs through 18-19 so there is probably a good chance he is gone.

McGinn is a RFA and one of Rod's golden boys. I'd be surprised if they let McGinn go.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Martinook @ $2 million + Williams @ $4 million
OR
Ferland @ $6 million + AHLer

Give me Ferland all day, every day. Canes will certainly end up overpaying Martinook and Williams instead.

Well shit if Ferland takes a 1 year deal at $6 million, terrific. The issue with Ferland is going to be the long term commitment not what he costs next year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Well **** if Ferland takes a 1 year deal at $6 million, terrific. The issue with Ferland is going to be the long term commitment not what he costs next year.

The only term I care about is the 2019-20 season and whether the Canes plan to compete or throw away another year. At this point the thought that 4-5 years from now what will upset me as a Carolina Hurricanes fan is that Ferland is broken down and taking up too much Cap space seems laughable to me. This team hasn't made the Playoffs in 10 years and has $45.6 million in current Cap space. Overpaying Ferland won't hurt anyone but Dundon's pocketbook. And if he's not willing to take some damage to that then we have much bigger problems to worry about.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Martinook @ $2 million + Williams @ $4 million
OR
Ferland @ $6 million + AHLer

Give me Ferland all day, every day. Canes will certainly end up overpaying Martinook and Williams instead.

Except they'd end up "overpaying" Martinook and Williams for maybe two years, but they'd end up "overpaying" Ferland for 6, or 7, or 8. Flexibility matters.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The only term I care about is the 2019-20 season and whether the Canes plan to compete or throw away another year. At this point the thought that 4-5 years from now what will upset me as a Carolina Hurricanes fan is that Ferland is broken down and taking up too much Cap space seems laughable to me. This team hasn't made the Playoffs in 10 years and has $45.6 million in current Cap space. Overpaying Ferland won't hurt anyone but Dundon's pocketbook. And if he's not willing to take some damage to that then we have much bigger problems to worry about.

You can keep saying this all you want, and that's fine. If all *you* care about is the 2019-2020 season, that's your prerogative -- but the FO is responsible for caring for more than that. And overpaying Ferland for *many years* is risky, especially as our younger players develop and need to be paid.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You can keep saying this all you want, and that's fine. If all *you* care about is the 2019-2020 season, that's your prerogative -- but the FO is responsible for caring for more than that. And overpaying Ferland for *many years* is risky, especially as our younger players develop and need to be paid.

You mean to tell me they aren’t going with my plan involving complete disregard for the future to finally make a f***ing Playoffs (as Bill Peepers would emote)?

Well carry on then.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Then they should just offer Matt Duchene a max contract instead since there are no reprocussions past next year right?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Then they should just offer Matt Duchene a max contract instead since there are no reprocussions past next year right?

Personally I’d go for Matthews. I’d enjoy next year very much if Duchene was added. It gives me no joy to be $20 million under the Cap, so why not? Besides the obvious of where that money comes from.

It’s reported that 15+ teams are going to line up for Ferland in Free Agency. I guess the lowest spending team in the league is the smarter one for letting him walk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad