3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Ref was red-faced screaming at him for cozying up to Andersen. He’s playing by a different rulebook.

He really is. This has to stop.
Only the NHL goes out of its way to intentionally remove excitement from the sport. Rempe plays a style the league isn't interested in marketing, hence they've decided somehow this kid is bad for the game. I feel bad for the kid because you can see he's tried to adjust to the target on his back by not being as aggressive, but it's obvious they've actively decided to neuter him.

He can still be an effective player going forward if he works on his skating & get stronger on his skates. Right now he goes down easier than a bowling pin....but now is a good time to take him out of the lineup.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It's one of those cross checks that is one by the letter of the law but almost never gets called.

Goodrow got called for one earlier and at that point in the game I'd be pissed if it were called against the Rangers.

But f*** the Canes. Not a more unlikable group of clowns in the league (Boston is close, but my hatred for Aho wins out.)

That will always get called where it took place. If it’s behind the goal no one would care but that would’ve led to a scoring chance against and that’s why the called it.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Another one of the historical connections from the last night’s Trocheck heroics if I heard it right:

He's the first forward to lead his team in icetime in playoff OT game - against the Canes that he previously played for under Brind'Amour - since Brind'Amour did it for the Cane when Laviolette was his / their coach.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Do you guys to know if it is possible to listen to the radio broadcasts over here in Europe? Either live or just the recording of it? It really would be nice to listen to Sam calling these games.
after Round 1, per league rules, no MSG TV, only MSG Radio

the NHL and NYR mobile apps offer livestreams of Radio feeds, maybe team website too
I cannot confirm that they will work in Europe (but why shouldn't they?)

Sam did radio Sunday as Kenny had a national assignment,
Kenny did Tuesday's game

Reactions: Kaapo Bustfreniere

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
1000003749.jpg

Awesome to see System of a Down back together

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Like I suspected, this isn't a lopsided series. Special teams performance is the reason we're ahead 2-0, which is certainly interesting given the Canes were the special teams kings in the regular season.

It was interesting to see how PL and Brind'Amour differed in TOI strategy. NYR were all over the place with Rempe at 4 minutes, Kakko at 11, and Trocheck/Panarin at 32+

The Canes on the other hand didn't use Comtois, Kotkaniemi or Noesen, whom I all consider to be perfectly competent hockey players (No idea why Noesen was benched), but didn't lean on their top guys quite as heavily.

I think this series goes at minimum 6 games, which is why I'm thankful they got ahead of the curve at home. a 1-1 split in Raleigh would see us in good stead.

You can tell Rempe is young because if I had to jump off the bench to celebrate after sitting for 3 hours I'd be cramping up on the ice.

Cuylle had a really effective game. Everyone has been sleeping on that line due to lack of offense but they've been great and really added the depth we needed.
I'm surprised that Kakko only got 11 min. This might be Laviolette's "lost in a shuffle" thing while he was trying to make sure the Rangers always had 2 centers for face-offs AND rotate extra forward with Goodrow and Vesey.

Reactions: noncents

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Carolina's 2nd PP refuses to shoot the puck. RBA said they have two good units. Shoot the puck first on the PP. Get the other team to move around and create offensive opportunities. That's how to run the PP. Carolina is very aggressive on the PK. The Rangers get them out of position and create chances. The Rangers don't give them anything on their PP. They don't allow them to gain the zone by breaking up the play at the blue line or give them nothing when they are set up.

It's a bit ironic. 5v5, they throw the kitchen sink at the net. Their more skilled players want to play a skilled game, and the power play is where they get that opportunity. Rod wants them throwing everything on net, but the PP is perhaps where his leash is not as tight and their guys can try stuff. I see the Canes attempting the Kreider-esque turnaround play near the goal mouth. They're looking for those tic tac toe plays. Against the weaker teams in the regular season, they're able to feast. But here in this series, the difference is skilled play between the two teams is very much visible.

Our penalty kill pressures but it's not the super-aggressive pressuring like the Canes do it, which looks mindless at times. They just look to attack the player with puck in all situations, while we're patient and wait for a puck mishandle and that's when we create the 2-on-1 situations to break up a play, clear the zone and go the other way on transition.

Having watched the other series and those teams having regular missionary-style hockey with each other, the Rangers are a very unconventional team. This team does not move like the others, not even the high-powered Avs and Oilers, with the way we exit the zone, the curl-back-and-outlet passes, the zig zagging and going east-west through the neutral zone and how we enter the offensive zone and how we use the new meta of the royal road. Other teams go in straight lines more or less, do normal breakout plays, while we do a lot of weaving and our breakouts and routes look very different compared to the rest.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
how the f*** am i supposed to get anything done today? i'm still amped as f***
Delegate lol

Props to Quick too - apparently he was speaking up in the locker room before the 2OT that gave players extra energy / jump when they returned that was quite obvious and Vincent mentioned it during his post game interview.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
My honest belief is that either Chytil is not really ready or that they think inserting him cold actually will be a net negative. I'm not sure how Brodzinski isn't an upgrade over Rempe at this point.
It could be as simple as "we are not changing a winning lineup". Which I guess I don't mind in theory, but if you only play 4 minutes of an 87 minute game, then just switch it up.

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012
It is clear that Carolina studied tape and game prepped for trying to expose the center of the offensive zone against our D, they were constantly flipping there for tips or quick snap shots off a pass. Trouba and Gus are the worst pair for being exposed to that since they both adjust the slowest. Gotta be something that they make an adjustment for coaching-wise heading into Carolina.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rempe sits for Chytil next game. Carolina loves to play the matchup game at home, and they would target Rempe being on the ice with their top line.
I have a feeling it's gonna be Chytil for Rempe and Jones for Gus next game.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Honestly I doubt it reaches enough of a critical mass to have them make any changes this year. Which figures, we will win the Cup and I'll have to spend the next 30 years of my life listening to that bum on highlights.

But hopefully they realize how terrible he is and make a change in the offseason. He cannot keep being the face of ESPN hockey.
you just gave me some 2008 joe buck ptsd “and it is caught by tyree 🥱” yeah thanks joe!!!

Reactions: noncents

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Do you guys to know if it is possible to listen to the radio broadcasts over here in Europe? Either live or just the recording of it? It really would be nice to listen to Sam calling these games.

try that link next time Rangers play, maybe it will work in your country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad