Confirmed with Link: Martinook 2 Year Extension ($2M AAV)

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Who knows with that, it could be to help move Aho into a leadership role, or it could be to help him get more confident speaking up to the team?

Kids IQ if off the charts for the ice. Can that translate to the rest of the team? He’s consistent, and really has shown his ability to center this season.
I am guessing the long term plan is for Aho to be the long term C. They game Slavin the vacant A so that Aho could continue to focus on playing 1c. Gun to my head next year they run Williams as the C (on a 1 or 2 year deal) and Slavin and Aho as the A's.

Edit: Forgot about Jordo: Don't know how he is in the room obviously, but leadership needs to lead through example and his on ice play has not warranted a letter IMO

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm not in the room obviously but for my money neither Faulk or Staal should wear letters. It always rubbed me the wrong way that they gave Jordan an A before he'd ever played a game. I don't think stripping them of letters is probably good for morale either (unless as I've always sort of inferred they don't really want them) but I think it's obvious Slavin and Aho will be wearing letters at some point. I think I'd lean toward Slavin for C but Aho is also a great choice. Pesce would be a good candidate to wear the other, as well as Martinook and de Haan

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Slavin may be a better choice in the end? I don’t know the room obviously. Once he’s ridiculously paid a lot of pressure will be on him to lead us in scoring all the time. Not unlike estaal like someone else mentioned. Slavin has no such pressure and does seem to be all in being here.

Aho might also feel slighted if he isn’t made that guy of course.

DeHaan seems like an A guy. Marty doesn’t play a high enough role and doesn’t feel destined to be here long enough but he’s the right guy generally I agree.

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
Just realized that if we were casting for a Shakespeare repertoire theatre using our roster, Slavin could be cast as almost anyone outside of maybe Iago, Falstaff, Shylock, and Caliban. There's only one roll Aho could be cast for: Aho can only play Puck.

This contributes nothing to the discussion.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Just realized that if we were casting for a Shakespeare repertoire theatre using our roster, Slavin could be cast as almost anyone outside of maybe Iago, Falstaff, Shylock, and Caliban. There's only one roll Aho could be cast for: Aho can only play Puck.

This contributes nothing to the discussion.

Counterpoint: in Shakespeare's time men would play also the female roles. Aho in drag would nothing short kill it mostly.

Except for princess roles because apparently Dougie doesn't play if he doesn't get to be the princess.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Slavin strikes me more as a natural leader of men than Aho.

Agreed. Based solely on their interview skills, I get the feeling Aho’s not one looking to be the center of attention.

I mean, did you see him at the All-Star game? Any time the camera was on him, it looked like he was in physical pain.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Agreed. Based solely on their interview skills, I get the feeling Aho’s not one looking to be the center of attention.

I mean, did you see him at the All-Star game? Any time the camera was on him, it looked like he was in physical pain.
I think that’s just a symptom of him being Finnish more than anything else

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jordan Martinook
by
Matt Karash | Jan 30, 2019 | Daily Cup of Joe
Exceeding expectations

But the Hurricanes netted much more in that deal. Martinook has fit the bill as a serviceable depth forward. And with 10 goals through 50 games, he has exceeded expectations in terms of chipping in reasonable depth scoring. But the statistics miss the point with Martinook. Jordan Martinook is the type of player that you want to be part of the fabric of your team. He is the authentic version of team-first and character.
He is one of the first off the bench when the team wins in overtime.
As part of an odd couple, he has taken rookie Andrei Svechnikov under his wing.
He is capable and willing to stand up for team mates when things get chippy.
He, as much as any other player on the team, has a sense for when the team needs to dial it up, and he leads the way with physical play early in games when the team needs a spark.
And he receives high marks for just being a great team mate in all ways possible.
Carolina Hurricanes re-sign Jordan Martinook | Canes & Coffee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad