Confirmed with Link: Martinez to Vegas

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I think most of us are happy with the 2 x 2nds, just disappointed that it wasn't the NJ 2nd in 2021, and instead got the STL 2nd in 2021.

with St Louis possibly loosing their captain and Jersey young with some nice talent accumulating maybe the difference won’t be as bad as we imagine. Glass half full thinking. Ha ha

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We have to remember what Martinez is. He'll help Vegas, but he's not a difference maker. He happened to score those two OT goals, but that's not the kind of player he is. Ideally a 3rd pair guy. There's no condition on the picks. It's just 2 picks. He's making $4m, and Vegas took 100% of it. May have even taken the guaranteed 2nd next year, instead of say a conditional 3rd this year. Maybe, I have no idea, but that would sort of fit.

It's Alec Martinez. It's Tyler Toffoli. The Kings have been terrible. Realistic expectations.

Reactions: funky

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’m glad this can wasn’t kicked down the road again. Fair value return that raises the draft capital to what may be record levels for the franchise. If a #3/4 prospect had been included this would be an A grade for initial marks, but otherwise I give it a solid B+ grade.

Reactions: RocketKing

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Very fair trade. Was hoping we'd get that extra defenseman thrown in, but you can't get too greedy. 2 second round picks is more than I initially thought we'd get for him and Vegas was probably the only team who could get away with that. I wish he could've stayed, but it is what it is. Will forever be grateful for what he has done for the team.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This is how you load up for the future. Blake learned well under Dean Lombardi, because this is exactly what Dean did to build the Kings up to the team that remained atop the NHL for a three year period.

I don’t foresee Blake using all of those draft picks, and hope that he can package or flip some of them for some good young players who can help the team now, similar as to when they acquired a Brad Richardson for a second rounder.

There’s also plenty of arsenal to move up to select a player they really like. Anyone who is unhappy with what the team is doing is still clinging to the relics of the past. Appreciate what we got for the time they were here, but also realize that this is necessary in order for the team to move forward.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Let us also hope hutton and ryan at this rate they could get a couple 3rds if there is not lot left to get:sarcasm:

I think there will be a few d-men of their caliber moved. Frolin for example.

I would be shocked if LA can get more than a 4th for either but would love it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

After acquiring Vegas’ 2020 second-round pick and St. Louis’ 2021 second-round pick (which Vegas had previously traded for), the Kings have 20 draft selections over the next two years, including three second-round picks this summer. Their prospect pipeline, considered one of the NHL’s best at the beginning of the season, has also been bolstered by the addition of 20-year-old Tyler Madden through the trade Monday of Toffoli to Vancouver.

The Kings’ NHL roster is already trending younger, with six players age 25 or younger having played in at least 40 games this season. Their minor-league affiliate in Ontario is competing for an American Hockey League playoff spot with a team partially built around players under 21, including highly anticipated center prospects Gabe Vilardi and Jaret Anderson-Dolan.

To make room for the next wave, the Kings could make more deals in the coming days.

Jeff Carter, 35, is the most prominent player involved in trade rumors.

The alternate captain’s contract, which doesn’t expire for three more seasons, is worth a hefty $5.27 million in annual average value. For that reason, some have classified Carter as difficult to move.

But on Tuesday, Sportsnet (Canada) reporter Elliotte Friedman speculated that Philadelphia could be considering Carter, who was drafted by the Flyers and played there from 2005-11.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Let us also hope hutton and ryan at this rate they could get a couple 3rds if there is not lot left to get:sarcasm:

i would take a 4th for Ryan but I kinda like the notion of trying to re-sign Hutton as long as it is shorter term.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’ve said it before but it’s awesome that Blake is getting pretty much perfect value for two teams. He keeps nailing trades, not fleecing anyone. Relationships are important in business no matter how much some fans want to bend some teams over the trade barrel. I don’t know what recent interview it was from, but whether it was Blake or in reference to Blake, it pretty much said “once your price it met, you make the deal.” In other words, don’t milk it/get greedy.

That being said I sure would have loved to f*** over VGK :P

Yeah but f*** these guys. Same squad that was complaining about Doughty’s Norris and that he was overrated for years. They keep trying to have their cake and eat it to. So much lol about how the Kings d-men suck over the years, then also bitching about how Drew isn’t that good. It’s so strange how with 6 shitty d-men the Kings had the #1 defense for a long time.

This is how you load up for the future. Blake learned well under Dean Lombardi, because this is exactly what Dean did to build the Kings up to the team that remained atop the NHL for a three year period.

I don’t foresee Blake using all of those draft picks, and hope that he can package or flip some of them for some good young players who can help the team now, similar as to when they acquired a Brad Richardson for a second rounder.

There’s also plenty of arsenal to move up to select a player they really like. Anyone who is unhappy with what the team is doing is still clinging to the relics of the past. Appreciate what we got for the time they were here, but also realize that this is necessary in order for the team to move forward.

I think the next part is the most crucial part of Blake’s tenure and the real make-or-break of a good GM. He got essentially a clean slate, hastened what looks like a really good rebuild on paper, and now has to do SOMETHING with overflowing assets.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Yep. The big difference is Dean moved immediately in a big way with the Demitra trade. Now, you could argue that Blake didn't have a Demitra but he did have tradeable assets that weren't moved until the following season immediately went in the shitter.

Doing it right since the Muzzin trade though. All the prospects they have now are not going to make it nevermind the 20 odd picks he is currently hoarding. The time is near for using this ammunition and hopefully picking the right ones to keep and the right ones to move.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yep. The big difference is Dean moved immediately in a big way with the Demitra trade. Now, you could argue that Blake didn't have a Demitra but he did have tradeable assets that weren't moved until the following season immediately went in the shitter.

Doing it right since the Muzzin trade though. All the prospects they have now are not going to make it nevermind the 20 odd picks he is currently hoarding. The time is near for using this ammunition and hopefully picking the right ones to keep and the right ones to move.
Could this be why they didnt retain on any trade? We could overpay for UFA talent, We'll have a better idea of what Gabe Vilardi is and how he'll help the club and as has been mention, we'll have picks to attach, package or entice teams into trades

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Could this be why they didnt retain on any trade? We could overpay for UFA talent, We'll have a better idea of what Gabe Vilardi is and how he'll help the club and as has been mention, we'll have picks to attach, package or entice teams into trades
or they will use the cap spaces to acquire short term cap dumps to gain more assets

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I said in the other thread that business is bad. Doesn't matter if AEG makes a gazillion dollars total: the LA King business is not great. They are paying a decent chunk of money to people that aren't playing here or coaching here.

If the Kings retained $1MM and got Vegas's own 2021 second rounder, I don't think AEG gives a shit. Just dump the entire $4MM and be done with it.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

We've gone over it before, but the teams were in drastically different places. Lombardi took over a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years and was set up for a youth overhaul with a good pipeline. Blake took over a bubble playoff team that had won the cup 3 years prior and had a core with decent hardware, but nothing in the way of prospects. Selling a tear down in each position is vastly different. Blake had a goal of re-stock in mind the whole time, that rapidly changed to re-build when it all fell apart.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
We've gone over it before, but the teams were in drastically different places. Lombardi took over a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years and was set up for a youth overhaul with a good pipeline. Blake took over a bubble playoff team that had won the cup 3 years prior and had a core with decent hardware, but nothing in the way of prospects. Selling a tear down in each position is vastly different. Blake had a goal of re-stock in mind the whole time, that rapidly changed to re-build when it all fell apart.

'06 Kings went 42-35-5. Lombardi easily could have kept Demitra while getting to add Kopitar to the mix. New coach, supposed upgrade in net: why not go for it?

Lombardi was actually retooling more than rebuilding with the Demitra deal but the Johnson deal was too good to pass up and that is what really torpedoed the season. Belanger had 17 goals the year before and Gleason was awesome and young himself.

Regardless, it all could have started a year earlier but it is what it is. Blake's been steady with putting out a garbage product to try and guaranty as high a draft pick as possible while also accumulating futures whenever possible. Hopefully it all works out like it did with Dean and none of us give a shit about using a horrible season to draft Hickey at 4th overall since everything wound up good in the end. Whatever dumb things Lombardi did helped lead to drafting Doughty so I'm hoping that Blake's error in waiting to dismantle this thing leads to the right stud being taken at the top of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad