Confirmed with Link: Martinez to Vegas

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Welp, we are going to have the best prospect pool by a mile for likely a couple of seasons to come. The kicker is going to be seeing if the organization can train them to be pros and dominant with the few veterans they have or if they will turn into a perpetual hockey development team for the rest of the NHL to pick up spare parts from...

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Its tough to watch AMart go, but wow does LA have a war chest to get a legit new wave moving. I hope Blake is as good at making strong deals as he has been at dealing off the vets for picks. He could also help our process by signing a strong UFA.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
There are two main issues at play, the acquisition of assets and the cleansing of the apathy surrounding the franchise.

Blake has made all of his layups. He has acquired full value for the players he has had to move due to immediate or one year on from free agency.

The second aspect is the hard part, and it will take some ingenuity to pull off - the removal of the key cogs to the past that have created a moribund, melancholic attitude around the team. Some are jump shots, a couple are three pointers and there are at least two half court buzzer beaters needed.

The low lying fruit was picked cleanly and efficiently, lets see how he gets the rest. That should determine whether this rebuild has an end in sight or risks being just perpetual hope.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good deal for Blake to get 2, 2nd rd picks for Martinez IMO. LA now has trade capital at the draft or picking power to make the proper picks. They have effectively got Grundstrom, Durzi, Bjornfot, and 2, 2nd rd picks who they can turn into players for 2, D men unloading them a year on their terms to max trade value. Now is the time to see some of results come in. I suspect that may come as soon as next season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
There are two main issues at play, the acquisition of assets and the cleansing of the apathy surrounding the franchise.

Blake has made all of his layups. He has acquired full value for the players he has had to move due to immediate or one year on from free agency.

The second aspect is the hard part, and it will take some ingenuity to pull off - the removal of the key cogs to the past that have created a moribund, melancholic attitude around the team. Some are jump shots, a couple are three pointers and there are at least two half court buzzer beaters needed.

The low lying fruit was picked cleanly and efficiently, lets see how he gets the rest. That should determine whether this rebuild has an end in sight or risks being just perpetual hope.

I don't think Blake can hit this shot once, much less twice. He isn't in the same ballpark as the logo in any capacity.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
This is how you load up for the future. Blake learned well under Dean Lombardi, because this is exactly what Dean did to build the Kings up to the team that remained atop the NHL for a three year period.

I don’t foresee Blake using all of those draft picks, and hope that he can package or flip some of them for some good young players who can help the team now, similar as to when they acquired a Brad Richardson for a second rounder.

There’s also plenty of arsenal to move up to select a player they really like. Anyone who is unhappy with what the team is doing is still clinging to the relics of the past. Appreciate what we got for the time they were here, but also realize that this is necessary in order for the team to move forward.

I remember the uproar when he traded a second for
Richardson. People lost their shit on both boards. Turned out petty good for us for a while. That 2nd to the Avs never amounted to anything.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Just a small snapshot. From the first draft post cap in 2005, through 2011, I'm looking at 2nd picks who played 400+ games. About 5 years. Some players were goalies, and they haven't played 400 games, but some of them might. It's not perfect, and I'm not going through crazy detail on this, but it's some general numbers. Sticking to "2nd round picks", even though some years had more than 30 selections in the 2nd round. Had to stop at 2011, since there's almost nobody that's played 400 games yet in any of the drafts after that. Also added Voynov, since he would've been over 400 games.

Out of 218 total picks, 38 have played 400+ games, which is about 17%. Went as low as 10% in 2007, and as high as 23% in 2009. Between picks 31-40, there were 11(29% of players) that played 400 games. Between 41-50, there's 12(32% of players). Between 51-60+, there were 15(39% of players).

Again, goalies mess things up a bit. You can get a guy that has 1 great year that helps you, so it doesn't have to be 400 games. But if we're looking for longer term quality, about 1 out of 5 picks in the 2nd do well. From those averages, for whatever reason, you seem more likely to get a player later in the 2nd than earlier.

With 1 out of every 10 picks this year as of today, that should help the Kings get a guy. That guy could be MA Vlasic, Paul Stastny, Shawn Matthias, PK Subban, Roman Josi, Marco Scandella, Alex Chiasson, Richard Panik, Justin Faulk, Jason Zucker, Matthew Nieto, Nikita Kucherov, or one of many other examples, ranging from quite good to meh. But overall, like baseball, much more likely to cause on out than get a hit.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I remember the uproar when he traded a second for
Richardson. People lost their shit on both boards. Turned out petty good for us for a while. That 2nd to the Avs never amounted to anything.
That 2nd was the bottom of the 2nd,61st pick Peter Delmas a goaltender...really the 2nd was a 3rd rounder and yes didn't amount to anything

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Buuuuuurrrrrffffffff

20200220_alec_martinez01_t653.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad