OT: Martina Ortiz Luis Not Returning As Full Time Anthem Singer

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Its the TORONTO Maple Leafs. Does TORONTO have a NATIONAL anthem? No. Its all stupid political, military bullshit. Y'all claim to hate politics in sports but yet view the National Anthem as this sacred thing that MUST happen... lol.

Get rid of it outside of the Olympics/National Games.
Yup. Playing the anthem when Team Canada plays is infinitely more logical than playing at Leafs games.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Its the TORONTO Maple Leafs. Does TORONTO have a NATIONAL anthem? No. Its all stupid political, military bullshit. Y'all claim to hate politics in sports but yet view the National Anthem as this sacred thing that MUST happen... lol.

Get rid of it outside of the Olympics/National Games.

You're logic is odd... the sporting event is a mass gathering COMMUNITY event in Canada. Its way of showing CANADIAN COMMUNITY values. Most of us value the Canadian life, I guess some just take it for granted.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You might not be aware that in Europe, a place that has been impacted by wars to an infinitely greater degree than Canada over the last several generations, they do NOT play the anthem at sporting events. So according to your logic, they respect the Canadian flag but not the flag of their own country. Strange eh?
Leave it to Gary to take it to the absurd. You're saying because Europe does not do it Canada shouldn't do it, awesome logic sparky. FFS.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Leave it to Gary to take it to the absurd. You're saying because Europe does not do it Canada shouldn't do it, awesome logic sparky. FFS.
That's not what I said. Is your reading comprehension really that bad, or are you just pretending?

You don't play the anthem for the athletes. I get that you don't understand this.
I never said that either. Is your reading comprehension really that bad, or are you just pretending?

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That's not what I said. Is your reading comprehension really that bad, or are you just pretending?

I never said that either. Is your reading comprehension really that bad, or are you just pretending?

There is nothing more to say if you can't take accountability for what you post.

Mar 12, 2009
Celebrating a fat man that sides down your chimney every year is weird, worshipping a space god is weird, bonding with a stranger for decades because you said a few words in a church is weird, jumping off a bridge with ropes around your ankles is weird. exchanging paper for food is weird... humans do plenty of things that are weird but that does not stop them from being human It's not weird to show respect for people who do what they do so you can enjoy freedom. Its weird to not show respect.

Symbols are what builds a society, it's the invisible glue that holds us together. There is a cultural rot in todays society and it starts with people not respecting the concept of community.
You don't respect the concept of the community unless everyone in it believes and does exactly as you say they should. Maybe that kind of attitude leads others to believe the "cultural" you insist on forcing on others in a free country is pretty rotten itself.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I really liked her when she came on the scene but was getting long in the tooth imo personally was long ready for a change. I think they should rotate the job personally to keep it fresh just not a big fan of always the same person.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I've never been a fan of playing anthems for profession league sports. I get it when there's international competitions in the various sports between national teams but in professional sports when the players are from many countries it doesn't make a lick of sense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've never been a fan of playing anthems for profession league sports. I get it when there's international competitions in the various sports between national teams but in professional sports when the players are from many countries it doesn't make a lick of sense.
It’s for the fans in the building not the players

Reactions: the squared circle

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You don't respect the concept of the community unless everyone in it believes and does exactly as you say they should. Maybe that kind of attitude leads others to believe the "cultural" you insist on forcing on others in a free country is pretty rotten itself.

The concept of community is not everyone does their own thing, at no point did I suggest that anyone is forced to go anywhere, work on those reading skills there champ. He just because you feel uncomfortable being part of the Canadian community does not mean you get to tear down the traditions I hold dear.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What a loss - huge fan of Martina, and it's been great watching her grow & improve. Wishing her all the best. It sounds like her leaving was her own decision, which it absolutely should have been. Her voice is majestic, and TV doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What a loss - huge fan of Martina, and it's been great watching her grow & improve. Wishing her all the best. It sounds like her leaving was her own decision, which it absolutely should have been. Her voice is majestic.
:thumbu: This guy gets it.

Reactions: OddyOh

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It’s for the fans in the building not the players
Agreed. TSN has stopped showing it (at least for Leafs games). SN continues to show it.
When watching on TV, I'd rather hear the talking heads than the anthems personally (not that I would really be listening to what they have to say lol).

I would not be against dropping them for club competitions all-together, but I get why people like them.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
But why sing the US and Canadian anthems when a US team is in town?
I don't think the TV audience in the US cares if their anthem is played.
I guess for fans of the team that make their way to the game?
I could hear a few singing it last night.

It wouldn't bother me if they dropped the US anthem though.

Reactions: The Iceman

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
What a loss - huge fan of Martina, and it's been great watching her grow & improve. Wishing her all the best. It sounds like her leaving was her own decision, which it absolutely should have been. Her voice is majestic, and TV doesn't do it justice.
Right on !!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad