OT: Martina Ortiz Luis Not Returning As Full Time Anthem Singer

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Oh well it's only a small segment of the game (5 min max) now imagine listening to a voice like Romanuk's for 2+ hours

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
She was the best in the league. All the best to her in the future. Now we need a replacement so maybe Toronto can get down with the clowns for a season 😎

34145A51-E48C-488B-B1CE-6D8F9C58C6C3.gif

Reactions: Anthrax442

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Happy to hear this. Her two personalized “thee-EEEEE!!!” were annoying.
For those saying she was the best ever....oh my.
Good luck to her though, the woman can sing.
She was in her teens doing this stuff. You and i im sure wouldnt of had it in us to perform the anthem at that age in front of that many people.. God forbid she do things a little different.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fair enough. I'd prefer to get to the game more quickly and have never seen the point of it at a sporting event.
Pretty much the only time I get to hear the anthem. Good time to reflect on how blessed we are to live where we do. I don’t mind wasting the few minutes.
No need to do the US Anthem though.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
She's improved, was often out of tune when she started out. Haven't a clue how she lasted this long.

Ya I'd like someone different ever game. What's wrong with Toronto's top performers? Sounds good to me.
When she started yeah she had tuning issues especially on the key change but she was also only 14. In the last couple of years she sounded incredible every time. Anyways MLSE doesn't hand pick this stuff, they have a deal with a certain music company who then provide just about all the live music for every MLSE event. And they only have so many singers on their roster so there will likely be a lot of repeats. I would honestly be down with what I saw someone else suggest which is scrapping the anthem altogether lol. It's always one of my least favourite parts of the broadcast although I don't mind it live.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I feel like we already knew this?

I wish her well and I hope she continues to do good.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When she started yeah she had tuning issues especially on the key change but she was also only 14. In the last couple of years she sounded incredible every time. Anyways MLSE doesn't hand pick this stuff, they have a deal with a certain music company who then provide just about all the live music for every MLSE event. And they only have so many singers on their roster so there will likely be a lot of repeats. I would honestly be down with what I saw someone else suggest which is scrapping the anthem altogether lol. It's always one of my least favourite parts of the broadcast although I don't mind it live.
Sure, I don't mean to be hard on her for being out of tune years ago, don't really care TBH, just thought I'd mention it. I had no idea some company provides the music, that's surprising actually.

I wouldn't mind no anthem either, I've been saying for years that the anthem at sporting events is a strange tradition and makes no sense to me. I've turned the volume off for years as I'm just bored of seeing the same singer over and over again, I stand by my earlier suggestion that some new every night would be awesome. We have a big city full of talent, we could have different singers, ensembles, musicians of all kinds, why not give talented (and often struggling) musicians a couple of minutes in the limelight, that I would turn UP the volume for every time.

Reactions: the squared circle

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Don't care for the anthem especially when teams are composed of multiple nationalities. I want everyone to be filled with a sense of pride before puck drop, not just Canadian / American players or crowd.

With that said I will miss Martina. Hearing her sing before puck drop on home games was starting to give a nostalgic feeling. These little nostalgic moments make being a die hard fan even better. You remember it even decades later. She wasn't the nostalgia level of Hockey night in Canada theme song on Saturdays with Don Cherry after period 1, but still nostalgic enough.

That's subjective though, there's probably those who don't like her.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
They only reason the states play the anthem is because their military paid them to do it. It's not disrespectful , I mute the anthems when they come on.

Yeah that's bullshit, that's not the only reason why the anthem is played before a sporting game. Over time playing an anthem at a sporting game has become 1) a tribute to the country and 2) a tribute to our service men and women. It came out of civic pride for their country after the 1st WW. It's a small way to show respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cournoyer12

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
National anthems should only be played at sporting events when national teams are playing. This started after World War Two to celebrate victory and honour the troops. Doing it for 75 years is a bit of overkill. It's time we join the rest of the world.

Best of luck to Martina.

Yeah lets do what they do in other countries because traditions in North America mean nothing right?

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
She was one of the best anthem singers that I recall in recent years. Best of luck to her in her future career(s) and in the Leafs finding a solid replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad