OT: Martina Ortiz Luis Not Returning As Full Time Anthem Singer

Mar 12, 2009
Yeah lets do what they do in other countries because traditions in North America mean nothing right?
The anthem has 'traditionally' been used as a "last chance to piss before puck drop" by anyone I've ever known. It's only more recently that I've seen certain types weepily hold it sacred and special to Canada or NA lol.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The anthem has 'traditionally' been used as a "last chance to piss before puck drop" by anyone I've ever known. It's only more recently that I've seen certain types weepily hold it sacred and special to Canada or NA lol.
So those in need of better time management?

Curious are people this disgusted when they honor a military member during the first?
Must say some pretty word takes here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So those in need of better time management?

Curious are people this disgusted when they honor a military member during the first?
Must say some pretty word takes here.
Going for a piss when something is happening that bores you is the very definition of good time management.

Using the word "disgusted" seems like nothing more than histrionics. Many people think it's time to do away with the anthem tradition but I haven't seen anyone say they're disgusted by it.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
We didn’t win a playoff round with her there. Maybe she’s the problem…😉

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
they don't care. When the Canadian flag eventually gets banned they won't care either.

Yup.

Those people need a good kick in the ass or better parents or both.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The irony of this post... If you want to ship people that don't agree with you to another country, where the hell do you get off implying THEY are the ones that would feel more at home in a dictatorship? Seems like that lines up with your way of thinking way more than it does theirs.

I wouldn't think I wouldn't have to explain the difference between choosing a country that better aligns with your values and being forced to go to a country but I guess that is the level of deductive reasoning we get on a sports forum. In Canada we respect the flag and the anthem... if you don't want to do that your free to leave and go somewhere you need to be less burdened to show respect for your country. TBH this whole discussion is stupid, I'm done.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I think our service men and women are going to sleep just fine whether or not an anthem is played at a sporting event

You're missing the point. Symbols of respect are not about losing sleep, they are about being respectful for the people who allow you to live your entitled life. Has anyone ever said Thank you to you?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
they don't care. When the Canadian flag eventually gets banned they won't care either.
Love it when the posts start getting melodramatic.
:laugh::laugh:

I wouldn't think I wouldn't have to explain the difference between choosing a country that better aligns with your values and being forced to go to a country but I guess that is the level of deductive reasoning we get on a sports forum. In Canada we respect the flag and the anthem... if you don't want to do that your free to leave and go somewhere you need to be less burdened to show respect for your country. TBH this whole discussion is stupid, I'm done.
You may not get this but the truth is, the discussion was pretty reasonable (and respectful) until you joined in.

Anyhow, the anthem isn't going anywhere any time soon so as I've said earlier, my preference is to have a different performer (or performers) every night. The same one every time just gets boring and this city is so full of talent, finding someone new every game would be no problem at all.

Here's one guy who I would love to see get a chance, since seeing this a few years back this has been my favorite rendition. Enjoy!

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Is it fair to say you don't care about the sacrifice our service men and women make to allow you to have the life you have?

It is not fair to say that at all. IMO it's rather large leap from caring about our service men and women and caring about the anthem at a hockey game.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
gonna miss Martina! Don’t get all the arguing. She did her job for 5 years. She always got the crowd fired up and she had a hell of a voice. Best of luck to her!

shes 21, wouldnt be weird at all. a lot of the leaf guys are young too

It would have been weird she was like 15/16 when she started lol

Mar 12, 2009
Yup.

Those people need a good kick in the ass or better parents or both.
Seems like a weirdly emotional response to people not caring about the anthem at a hockey game, but not surprised an anthem sicko would feel this way.

If you think there's a realistic chance of the "flag being banned" in your lifetime or mine, you're so far out of touch that the opinions you post have little basis in reality.

Mar 12, 2009
Canada is a free country and as a result, people are actually free to respect or not respect the anthem or the flag. The idea that people who don't share your weirdly specific values for a piece of cloth and an old song, should have to leave the country is hilariously stupid and anti-freedom, anti-democracy.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
She was great and made the anthem a lot more tolerable for me. I'd do away with it in all sports if I could. But she really does have an enjoyable voice.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
In all honesty, when they play the anthem I do stand at home with my hand over my heart, I also go to the legion on Remembrance Day and have a chat and buy the vets / service men/ women a beer. When I'm at Tim's, if a cop / Firefighter / Paramedic military man/woman comes in, I pay for their coffee/ meal. Believe it or not not everyone is a selfish insular jackass in this country, some people, believe in community and appreciate what we have. Some people want to build on what we have. Maybe I'm the outlier, I'm thankful for all the service men who put their life on the line every day so I can have the life I have. Since I cant thank everyone personally , I stand during the anthem, small gesture to say thanks. I realize not everyone is as aware of what it takes to have a country as amazing as Canada. Is it fair to say you don't care about the sacrifice our service men and women make to allow you to have the life you have?

Our service men and women.
You know you can just say thanks to them. It's not selfish to think playing the national anthem before a hockey game is weird.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You know you can just say thanks to them. It's not selfish to think playing the national anthem before a hockey game is weird.

Celebrating a fat man that sides down your chimney every year is weird, worshipping a space god is weird, bonding with a stranger for decades because you said a few words in a church is weird, jumping off a bridge with ropes around your ankles is weird. exchanging paper for food is weird... humans do plenty of things that are weird but that does not stop them from being human It's not weird to show respect for people who do what they do so you can enjoy freedom. Its weird to not show respect.

Symbols are what builds a society, it's the invisible glue that holds us together. There is a cultural rot in todays society and it starts with people not respecting the concept of community.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Canada is a free country and as a result, people are actually free to respect or not respect the anthem or the flag. The idea that people who don't share your weirdly specific values for a piece of cloth and an old song, should have to leave the country is hilariously stupid and anti-freedom, anti-democracy.

When I traveled through Europe, Europeans showed more respect and reverence for the Canadian flag on my back pack than you just did by calling it a piece of cloth, what a disgrace. It's not the cloth or the song that I honor, its the set of ideas and values that are uniquely specific to being a Canadian, which that anthem and flag represent that I honor. It's the people who serve this country that I honor. When you don't respect traditions, traditions die. When you don't respect community values, communities die When you don't work to keep democracy, democracy dies. Honoring a flag and anthem are small gestures that supports a much bigger picture. Hey like you said in this country we are free to do as you please, care to tell the class why its free and who keeps it free? and how you show respect to those people?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You may not get this but the truth is, the discussion was pretty reasonable (and respectful) until you joined in.

Riiiight and your opinion is based on a very limited and twisted definition of the word respectful I was not the person who said they mute the National anthem or that they go take a wizz when the anthem is playing... Defending Canadian symbols is not being disrespectful, its quite the opposite. How dare I call out disrespectful people, how disrespectful it is to be respectful ... great logic there Gary.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
When I traveled through Europe, Europeans showed more respect and reverence for the Canadian flag on my back pack than you just did by calling it a piece of cloth, what a disgrace. It's not the cloth or the song that I honor, its the set of ideas and values that are uniquely specific to being a Canadian, which that anthem and flag represent that I honor. It's the people who serve this country that I honor. When you don't respect traditions, traditions die. When you don't respect community values, communities die When you don't work to keep democracy, democracy dies. Honoring a flag and anthem are small gestures that supports a much bigger picture. Hey like you said in this country we are free to do as you please, care to tell the class why its free and who keeps it free? and how you show respect to those people?
Can see both sides, but the irony that posters are calling the Canadian flag (and it's history/cultural significance) nothing more than a piece of cloth, yet are cheering on other pieces of cloth (Jerseys) belonging to a corporate entity whose only seeking to maximize profits/licensing fees from the use of said cloth (and has no specific relevance/ties to the city of Toronto as a whole) is lost on some.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You might not be aware that in Europe, a place that has been impacted by wars to an infinitely greater degree than Canada over the last several generations, they do NOT play the anthem at sporting events. So according to your logic, they respect the Canadian flag but not the flag of their own country. Strange eh?

Or is it possible that maybe, just maybe, it's possible to respect your country and your flag without having the anthem played at sporting events?

Riiiight and your opinion is based on a very limited and twisted definition of the word respectful I was not the person who said they mute the National anthem or that they go take a wizz when the anthem is playing... Defending Canadian symbols is not being disrespectful, its quite the opposite. How dare I call out disrespectful people, how disrespectful it is to be respectful ... great logic there Gary.
Is seems like many (or maybe most) people here would be fine if the anthem was no longer played at sporting events. That does not mean that they don't respect the flag and if you ever get to the point where you understand that, you'll have made a lot of progress.

Respecting the flag is great, I think we all do that. Respecting people who's opinions are different from yours, that's where you're lacking and that's actually a big part of what democracy's about.

Stop being so angry and listen to what people are saying, you are grossly misinterpreting what they are telling you and making invalid assumptions.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Because is f***ing disrespectful to not play it, that why.
Its the TORONTO Maple Leafs. Does TORONTO have a NATIONAL anthem? No. Its all stupid political, military bullshit. Y'all claim to hate politics in sports but yet view the National Anthem as this sacred thing that MUST happen... lol.

Get rid of it outside of the Olympics/National Games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00