OT: Martina Ortiz Luis Not Returning As Full Time Anthem Singer

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
National anthems should only be played at sporting events when national teams are playing. This started after World War Two to celebrate victory and honour the troops. Doing it for 75 years is a bit of overkill. It's time we join the rest of the world.

Best of luck to Martina.

I disagree. Play the anthems for all those who fight in the military today, not just those of the Greatest Generation.

Americans in particular have a strong culture of military service. If you ever see a Canadian (or U.K) and U.S soldier chatting/mingling you will understand how much they respect each other and their commitment to liberty (if only our politicians at all levels understood this sacrifice, but I digress).

I will happily listen to the anthems from my couch and take the 3 minutes or however long it takes to hear them recited before the game knowing someone, somewhere, is overseas taking the risks few ever have. With little fanfare or personal financial benefit I might add.

T.V networks would be wise to NOT cut anthems out of telecasts IMO. Call me a nostalgic softy.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Stupid traditions should die. This one is stupid.

What is stupid to one is important to another person. I think paying respect to the people who built this country and to the people who protect this country is a nice small way to honor them. Not everyone appreciates this country I guess. It's just in some peoples nature to be inconsiderate of others.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
They only reason the states play the anthem is because their military paid them to do it. It's not disrespectful , I mute the anthems when they come on.

You mute the anthems? That is an unusual response, you have such a physical reaction to honoring our service men / women and the builders of this country that you cant tolerate a few minutes of respect... gotchya...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cournoyer12

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
They had a group sing last year for Black Pride, I thought they did an incredible job. Its was four singers. I cant recall their names.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What is stupid to one is important to another person. I think paying respect to the people who built this country and to the people who protect this country is a nice small way to honor them. Not everyone appreciates this country I guess. It's just in some peoples nature to be inconsiderate of others.
If you're so concerned about it, perhaps you could suggest something that allows everyone to "show their respect", not just sports fans.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
She grew on me....best of luck in the future!! Re anthems in general....i love them at national events but it seems weird at regular games. Team is multinational standing up for Canadian anthem. Nice and respectful but weird to me.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If you're so concerned about it, perhaps you could suggest something that allows everyone to "show their respect", not just sports fans.

Awesome idea Sparky, how about we play the national Anthem and we all stand as a sign of respect ... crazy idea...but it may just work. For those that don't like Canadian traditions I hear there is a dictator looking for some recruits over in Asia/Europe, he has no respect for traditions ... y'all will fit fit right in..

Only here will you see jackasses attacking Canadian traditions and that's considered OK ... f-ers should get a ban.

• Haha
Reactions: Dough72 and Metroid

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I hope you stand up in front of the TV whenever it plays to show your respect.

In all honesty, when they play the anthem I do stand at home with my hand over my heart, I also go to the legion on Remembrance Day and have a chat and buy the vets / service men/ women a beer. When I'm at Tim's, if a cop / Firefighter / Paramedic military man/woman comes in, I pay for their coffee/ meal. Believe it or not not everyone is a selfish insular jackass in this country, some people, believe in community and appreciate what we have. Some people want to build on what we have. Maybe I'm the outlier, I'm thankful for all the service men who put their life on the line every day so I can have the life I have. Since I cant thank everyone personally , I stand during the anthem, small gesture to say thanks. I realize not everyone is as aware of what it takes to have a country as amazing as Canada. Is it fair to say you don't care about the sacrifice our service men and women make to allow you to have the life you have?

Disrespectful to who exactly

Our service men and women.

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
In all honesty, when they play the anthem I do stand at home with my hand over my heart, I also go to the legion on Remembrance Day and have a chat and buy the vets / service men/ women a beer. When I'm at Tim's, if a cop / Firefighter / Paramedic military man/woman comes in, I pay for their coffee/ meal. Believe it or not not everyone is a selfish insular jackass in this country, some people, believe in community and appreciate what we have. Some people want to build on what we have. Maybe I'm the outlier, I'm thankful for all the service men who put their life on the line every day so I can have the life I have. Since I cant thank everyone personally , I stand during the anthem, small gesture to say thanks. I realize not everyone is as aware of what it takes to have a country as amazing as Canada. Is it fair to say you don't care about the sacrifice our service men and women make to allow you to have the life you have?

I think our service men and women are going to sleep just fine whether or not an anthem is played at a sporting event

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Awesome idea Sparky, how about we play the national Anthem and we all stand as a sign of respect ... crazy idea...but it may just work. For those that don't like Canadian traditions I hear there is a dictator looking for some recruits over in Asia/Europe, he has no respect for traditions ... y'all will fit fit right in..

Only here will you see jackasses attacking Canadian traditions and that's considered OK ... f-ers should get a ban.
Take it easy sport, just having a conversation here. Why play the anthem just at sporting events? Why not do it at every event at Scotiabank centre (and wherever the anthem is played at other sporting events) for example, rock concerts and whatever else goes on there? Why is this tradition only forced on sports fans?

The fact is, people have different opinions, that's life. If that bothers you soo much, maybe you should head over to where those dictators are, sounds like you'd be the one who fits right in if varying opinions bother you so much.

Maybe you should try being respectful to everyone, not just service men. The only one coming off as a selfish insular jackass here is you.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

The irony of this post... If you want to ship people that don't agree with you to another country, where the hell do you get off implying THEY are the ones that would feel more at home in a dictatorship? Seems like that lines up with your way of thinking way more than it does theirs.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I liked her. She was a little shaky when she started but she was 15. It was nice to have that consistency there and after 8 years of doing it you kind of feel like I'm a very small way you.watched her grow up.

I never liked it when people flourished the anthems too much but I sure hope they don't get some opera sounding singer that sounds like they're trying to not shit themselves as their singing it.

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
I hated her. I thought she was so bad l would turn off the TV when l saw her. Did she improve l don't know because the TV was off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad