Confirmed with Link: Martin Brodeur signed: 1 yr/ $700k (+ $60k and counting!)

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
@jprutherford
Hitchcock on Brodeur: "I got a call from Army. We're broke. We're down $20 grand. He was wondering if I could've pulled him sometime in 3rd"

Camille the Eel

Discussions of "greatest of all time" can never be settled - there are different eras, different moments in a guy's career, different teams in front of him. Only thing you can say is "one of the greatest" - and Brodeur is surely in that group.

Also regarding what you saw last night, the thing he's always had - what distinguishes him and always has - is his ability (uncanny, it's a gift) to make the game saving or game winning save at the absolute right time. Robbing a guy on a breakaway when you're down one goal and have to stay in it; stoning a guy with thirty seconds left and the game in the balance . . . that's Brodeur really. That's the way I'll see him in my mind's eye remembering him. He rises to game situations, he's one of the great ones at that. He'll let in the odd soft one (who doesn't) but in a pressure situation in a game he's again one of the great ones who have played.

So that's what you've got. Elliot should still be your number one but Marty has some mileage left. And the excitement and focus he will bring to Blues' games going forward should be invaluable too. Hearing that crowd last night on the game highlights told me the Blues have made a good move. Hitchcock will know how to use him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Comparing best ever in hockey would be like comparing the quarterbacks today to past generations. Statistically, guys like Manning, Brady, and Rodgers easily dwarf Unitas, but it's a different league than it wasl. Just like in hockey, there was a time not too long ago that a gaa of 3 was really good and a 90 sv% was really good, now if you put up those numbers, you'll quickly be out of a job.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Discussions of "greatest of all time" can never be settled - there are different eras, different moments in a guy's career, different teams in front of him. Only thing you can say is "one of the greatest" - and Brodeur is surely in that group.

Also regarding what you saw last night, the thing he's always had - what distinguishes him and always has - is his ability (uncanny, it's a gift) to make the game saving or game winning save at the absolute right time. Robbing a guy on a breakaway when you're down one goal and have to stay in it; stoning a guy with thirty seconds left and the game in the balance . . . that's Brodeur really. That's the way I'll see him in my mind's eye remembering him. He rises to game situations, he's one of the great ones at that. He'll let in the odd soft one (who doesn't) but in a pressure situation in a game he's again one of the great ones who have played.

So that's what you've got. Elliot should still be your number one but Marty has some mileage left. And the excitement and focus he will bring to Blues' games going forward should be invaluable too. Hearing that crowd last night on the game highlights told me the Blues have made a good move. Hitchcock will know how to use him.

I think there is an interesting psychological element. The team has a fresh energy and excitement with Martin coming in, trying to help him further his records, that takes pressure off the players in a lot of ways. Instead of focusing on replacing who is out of the line-up, worrying about chasing Chicago, etc, the team have a big positive to focus on. Its a breath of fresh air in a season that can sometimes get to be drudgery with the games piling up.

I think the Blues have had a fair amount of adversity this season, but you wouldnt' know it from the player interviews. I think that may be the biggest benefit of Brodeur's presence. It gives the players something else to focus on.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think there is an interesting psychological element. The team has a fresh energy and excitement with Martin coming in, trying to help him further his records, that takes pressure off the players in a lot of ways. Instead of focusing on replacing who is out of the line-up, worrying about chasing Chicago, etc, the team have a big positive to focus on. Its a breath of fresh air in a season that can sometimes get to be drudgery with the games piling up.

I think the Blues have had a fair amount of adversity this season, but you wouldnt' know it from the player interviews. I think that may be the biggest benefit of Brodeur's presence. It gives the players something else to focus on.
Are you sure? They were hell bent on giving the panthers prime opportunities last night lol

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I know the broadcast team thought the ref said it, but I thought it was Butler.
Yeah, me too. Thought it was more than likely him. This is a better narrative, though. Surprised none of the local media followed that up and asked about it.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Are you sure? They were hell bent on giving the panthers prime opportunities last night lol
Blues arent playing all that well, IMO. Getting outplayed often. Unlike other seasons, they can still win those games with their skill. Been a strange season thus far.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues arent playing all that well, IMO. Getting outplayed often. Unlike other seasons, they can still win those games with their skill. Been a strange season thus far.

Yes it has, they have been bad. Even when full strength.... on paper they are oozing greatness, just haven't realized it yet. I really want to see a string of dominant games before I have alot of "hope".

Tyler Biggs*

11 more to 700! I really hope Brodeur can achieve that milestone.

Camille the Eel

Yes it has, they have been bad. Even when full strength.... on paper they are oozing greatness, just haven't realized it yet. I really want to see a string of dominant games before I have alot of "hope".

but let the dominant streak start with about ten regular season games left and carry over into the playoffs - like the pace of a horse race for long distance horse rated but sitting on the lead, that should be the goal !! Hit the playoffs with an extra gear and gas in the tank this year instead of being spent

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
I can't remember which game it was, but a few games back somebody was wacking away at Brodeur after he smothered a puck and you could hear the ref on TV saying something like "if your gonna poke Marty like that, your gonna pay your taxes!" :laugh: :laugh:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
A few headlines have speculated, that Elliott's due back soon and Broduer is expected to be cut loose.

A few questions from the NYI board....

How has Broduer been playing, how much does he look like he has left in the tank?
Any word about when Elliott could return?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
A few headlines have speculated, that Elliott's due back soon and Broduer is expected to be cut loose.

How has Broduer been playing, how much does he look like he has left in the tank?

Elliott is back already.

Broduer has been okay. Not good, not horrible.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Elliott is back, and looks good to go to resume his role as the starter.
Allen has struggled a little. There were quotes from the Blues leadership about having Allen take a couple starts off to clean up some bad habits that were creeping in when he had to take over the starter role. But it sounds like he should be back as the back-up relatively soon.

The team has maneuvered things to be able to keep 3 goalies for the short-term at least. I'll be shocked if this is a long-term plan (and if it IS, I think its a bad one). I hope a home can be found for Brodeur in the NHL so he can continue his quest for 700, I think its doable. I do think he's good enough to be a solid back-up for someone, and you could do a lot worse. He seems to have a wonderful attitude, and I'll be sad to see him leave the Blues....but I don't see how they can hold onto him in fairness to all three goalies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I hope a home can be found for Brodeur in the NHL so he can continue his quest for 700, I think its doable.
I'm only half kidding when I say "Brodeur and Paajarvi for Jagr." Fact is, the Devils aren't going to make the playoffs, and giving Marty a chance to complete his road to 700 in a Devils uniform will sell more tickets than anything else they can do at this point. Great PR move, even if it doesn't make sense from a hockey perspective. With DeBoer gone, maybe Marty wouldn't mind going home. Would it really hurt them (or Schneider) to give Marty 15-20 starts to see if he can get another 9 wins?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm only half kidding when I say "Brodeur and Paajarvi for Jagr." Fact is, the Devils aren't going to make the playoffs, and giving Marty a chance to complete his road to 700 in a Devils uniform will sell more tickets than anything else they can do at this point. Great PR move, even if it doesn't make sense from a hockey perspective. With DeBoer gone, maybe Marty wouldn't mind going home. Would it really hurt them (or Schneider) to give Marty 15-20 starts to see if he can get another 9 wins?

All of New Jersey realizes that having Brodeur on the roster makes the Schnieder situation incredibly awkward. It's not a Lamorellio move. It's also embarrassing value going back to New Jersey.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
All of New Jersey realizes that having Brodeur on the roster makes the Schnieder situation incredibly awkward. It's not a Lamorellio move. It's also embarrassing value going back to New Jersey.

I never suggested the trade had any value from a "hockey sense" perspective. I was merely suggesting that a "Marty to 700" party might be the only thing they have left to save their season at the gate. You're also taking over a million of salary off of their hands (maybe closer to $2M) and giving them something in the deal that they may or may not find useful in Paajarvi. Adding Paajarvi while dumping the remainder of Jagr's salary is better for them financially than claiming him on waivers, though admittedly that says nothing about their interest in him or their lack thereof. I've just read a lot about the interest on their board for a Jagr for Paajarvi+ swap the last few weeks.

As far as Schneider is concerned, he's not the reason they're losing but he sure hasn't made them a winner, so I'm not sure Lou would really care how awkward it was for him if he had a chance to make something positive out of an abysmal season in Newark.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Tarasenko to goal and Marry to wing.

Didn't you guys see Tarasenko's great goalie effort last night when Elliott left the net?

In other news - I'm re watching the Mighty Ducks Trilogy today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad