Confirmed with Link: Martin Brodeur signed: 1 yr/ $700k (+ $60k and counting!)

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You can put Roy and Hasek in this debate, but not Plante, Sawchuck, or Hall. The last three were never even seen by the majority of people currently in this argument on this page. The game from the two eras is so different you can't compare across the ages. I lived through both eras. The size, speed, and strength of the players is so drastically different from one era to the other and add to that the equipment and they are from different worlds.

Plante gave me a stick once when I was practicing in Toronto. I was amazed at how light it was. The goalie sticks today make that gift I received into a log. My skinny leather pads side by side in 1968 are almost the size of one pad today. The gloves are just plain ludicrous in comparison. If a goalie wore my chest and shoulder pads from that era today they wouldn't get through warmups before heading off to the hospital. Their mask by comparison? All 3 played without one until late in their careers. They would be dead in the era of the other two even with the masks they eventually wore.

As to the modern 2 you wish to say were better than Marty, that's the age old argument of athletics. You can never prove who was actually better. It's all opinion and that's why the arguments can go on "ad nauseum".

I watched ALL of those goalies throughout their entire NHL careers. But you are correct that the game changed a LOT over that period.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Hasek, Roy, Plante, Sawchuk, and Hall were all arguably better goalies than Marty. Marty Brodeur may be the greatest system goalie ever but not the best in terms of overall skill. Don't want to take my word for it? Fine, go to the History of Hockey section and strike up this debate again because it has been discussed ad nauseum.

I've got an axe to grind, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt -

But saying 'system' goalie denies the fact that the Devils only inherited their system from Montreal. The same one that played in front of a couple of goalies mentioned above.

I think its a classic way that Marty-bashers try to diminish his greatness.

RafaelSomma

Bad signing for St-Louis. Brodeur has become redundant in the NHL and he's borderline pathetic. That's the difference between the great Patrick Roy and Brodeur. Roy went out at the right time as he had nothing to prove and he was declining. Brodeur is clinging to the NHL and he's in need of attention. Pathetic when an athlete becomes needy and can't let go. My opinion anyway.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
I've got an axe to grind, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt -

But saying 'system' goalie denies the fact that the Devils only inherited their system from Montreal. The same one that played in front of a couple of goalies mentioned above.

I think its a classic way that Marty-bashers try to diminish his greatness.

I am not trying to diminish his greatness, but I do believe he benefited greatly from playing in New Jersey.

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
Devils fan here just wanted to give u guys my 2 cents on Marty

he is still an okay goalie last year the coach used him to much in front of schneider and devils D last year was to slow to play with mart. ur D-men have the speed to take care of some of his rebounds. you guys can't think of him as a starter or a world beater anymore he is an average goalie right now with good instants and ALOT of experience ur team is going to have to work weigh him as a ok keeper and not the goalie he was 10-15 years ago cuz just isn't. That was the Devils problem the last 3 years was we need him to be a vezina winner and he just wasn't anymore. and he hasn't play in 7 months its bound to take a few games to get into the routine of your team and style which is quicker then he is used to

Tyler Biggs*

First game back after not playing for how long? Give him a break.

MountainGoat

I am not trying to diminish his greatness, but I do believe he benefited greatly from playing in New Jersey.

of course but it goes both ways, Marty was literally a perfect fit as a Devil, he is one of the most consistent players of all time.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Did anyone else notice the respect that the refs gave Marty during the game yesterday? "If you are going to poke Marty you are going to have to pay the taxes". It seems like the officials are subconsciously biased when dealing with a future HOF player. The Blues can really take liberties clearing the crease without fear of ending up in the box. It kind of reminds me of when the Blues played the Avs in the playoffs the year they won the cup. The league hyped up Ray Borque's last chance at a cup run, and the Blues weren't getting any calls in that series. I believe the Blues were eliminated in overtime while shorthanded due to a terrible penalty called in the final seconds of regulation. Maybe the Blues should keep Marty for the playoffs! Would make for a great story if he won the cup!

Pesmerga

Nov 13, 2011
I want to see how Marty preform against the best teams like Chicago and LA. If he looks solid, i'd say we should give him one last chance at a cup run being number 1 goalie this year. He's still good enough on a team like the Blues to help us, I think.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Did anyone else notice the respect that the refs gave Marty during the game yesterday? "If you are going to poke Marty you are going to have to pay the taxes". It seems like the officials are subconsciously biased when dealing with a future HOF player. The Blues can really take liberties clearing the crease without fear of ending up in the box. It kind of reminds me of when the Blues played the Avs in the playoffs the year they won the cup. The league hyped up Ray Borque's last chance at a cup run, and the Blues weren't getting any calls in that series. I believe the Blues were eliminated in overtime while shorthanded due to a terrible penalty called in the final seconds of regulation. Maybe the Blues should keep Marty for the playoffs! Would make for a great story if he won the cup!

I know the broadcast team thought the ref said it, but I thought it was Butler.

Tyler Biggs*

He is only the greatest to ever play the position. Isles will think twice before starting to chant "We Want Marty"

haakon84

Dec 14, 2003
As hard as it is to believe, I think Brodeur still has something left to prove and you guys got a steal. Congrats!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
How was he tonight? 32 saves in the win

Several great saves saved the game for The Blues. For only playing 2 and 2/3 games since April, he's doing fine.

I think The blues will keep all 3 goalies and go with only 20 skaters. Knee injuries are tricky, and could recur.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Several great saves saved the game for The Blues. For only playing 2 and 2/3 games since April, he's doing fine.

I think The blues will keep all 3 goalies and go with only 20 skaters. Knee injuries are tricky, and could recur.

I agree and I hope. Marty's a great guy to have around regardless if he's playing or not.

As of right now, i know it's only been 2 and 2/3's games played for him....but I am more confident in him being our playoff starter than elliott or allen.....AT THIS POINT..... but that could obviously change in the future. I like a Marty playing with a chip on his shoulder

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I REALLY, hope we hold onto him. He might be just what we need in the playoffs. I'd keep playing Allen/Elliott as much as possible until then to keep him fresh for the postseason.

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
It was great to see him with the win for the Blues. The blue jersey on him still looks a bit weird but I'm very happy for him. Hopefully he gets you a long playoff run!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad