Confirmed with Link: Martin Brodeur signed: 1 yr/ $700k (+ $60k and counting!)

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Yep, it's like Army doesn't have a clue on how to handle goal tending concerns. With our cap crunch now, doesn't this all but kill our chances of upgrading Lindstrom with a rental for a PO run?

We could bring in someone with a 4.1 mil cap hit at the deadline with this signing. Of course, if we trade a roster player in the process of upgrading, that number increases.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
A better publicity stunt would be to sign Darren Pang as the back-up to Allen.

Actually, I'm kind of sad they didn't do that.

I think that would have been a much better publicity stunt, or maybe suite Hitch up as the backup. Or hold a raffle every game to see which lucky fan gets to be the backup for the night lol.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We could bring in someone with a 4.1 mil cap hit at the deadline with this signing. Of course, if we trade a roster player in the process of upgrading, that number increases.

It'll be more than that too. The current $4.18m cap space at the deadline assumes that we have 4 goalies on the roster between now and the deadline. Binnington comes off today, which pushes it up. Brodeur will come off when Elliott comes back, which pushes it up further.

The only worries we have with the cap this season is making sure that we have ~$600k extra at the end of the year to make sure we don't have an overage penalty next year because Tarasenko hit bonuses.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Marty will be awesome for you.

You have the greatest goalie to ever live now and you're not happy. Figures.

He is rested and motivated with lots still in the tank.

"Publicity Stunt". Thats a laugh and a half. You have a goalie go down then the Blues management go out and get a goalie. Yep, genius.

Be happy.

Hasek, Roy, Plante, Sawchuk, and Hall were all arguably better goalies than Marty. Marty Brodeur may be the greatest system goalie ever but not the best in terms of overall skill. Don't want to take my word for it? Fine, go to the History of Hockey section and strike up this debate again because it has been discussed ad nauseum.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
It's not really a big deal, I'm just venting. We don't have any cap issues right now, especially since the Leopold trade. I don't mind bringing in Brodeur, but I am puzzled by the bonuses.

Really doesn't the almost 3/4 of a million dollar deal just about put us right where we were with Leopold being a healthy scratch every night?

*edit nevermind, it was explained a few posts up.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Really doesn't the almost 3/4 of a million dollar deal just about put us right where we were with Leopold being a healthy scratch every night?

Binnington has a cap hit of $635k, Brodeur has a cap hit of $700k. So it makes very, very little difference to our cap situation.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hasek, Roy, Plante, Sawchuk, and Hall were all arguably better goalies than Marty. Marty Brodeur may be the greatest system goalie ever but not the best in terms of overall skill. Don't want to take my word for it? Fine, go to the History of Hockey section and strike up this debate again because it has been discussed ad nauseum.

You can put Roy and Hasek in this debate, but not Plante, Sawchuck, or Hall. The last three were never even seen by the majority of people currently in this argument on this page. The game from the two eras is so different you can't compare across the ages. I lived through both eras. The size, speed, and strength of the players is so drastically different from one era to the other and add to that the equipment and they are from different worlds.

Plante gave me a stick once when I was practicing in Toronto. I was amazed at how light it was. The goalie sticks today make that gift I received into a log. My skinny leather pads side by side in 1968 are almost the size of one pad today. The gloves are just plain ludicrous in comparison. If a goalie wore my chest and shoulder pads from that era today they wouldn't get through warmups before heading off to the hospital. Their mask by comparison? All 3 played without one until late in their careers. They would be dead in the era of the other two even with the masks they eventually wore.

As to the modern 2 you wish to say were better than Marty, that's the age old argument of athletics. You can never prove who was actually better. It's all opinion and that's why the arguments can go on "ad nauseum".

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Lol, these two situations aren't even remotely comparable. Miller is still in his prime, Marty left his prime long ago.

Myth.

"There are better goalies available."

You do understand that is merely an opinion? It's no different than me saying, "You just got the best goalie of all time. None better available."

Miller is now the best in the NHL in wins this season while playing in the west and he is not hiding behind a defense that is one of the best in the league as one poster just stated about your current keepers. Another claimed Marty's good years occurred because he had such conditions in N.J. (pure hogwash if you ever watched him during those years as the man was purely amazing). If that were to be the truth, Marty stands to be pretty good in a Blues sweater so no one needs to sweat.

This. As we know here, Vezinas aren't tossed around to goalies that overly benefit from strong defenses. You have to show you're the best, and he did just that on a few occasions. The Cups and gold medals are just reinforcement to this point.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Just excited to see him suit up for a couple games, and hopefully he at least plays serviceable for the sake of his own pride.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
I would like to extend my appreciation of the intelligent and gentlemanly (excuse the gender specific descriptor) comments of the NJ, et al posters. It's most refreshing and you guys are most welcome here.

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
People need to stop drinking the kool aid

Yeah! You tell em!

The sheeple cant even comprehend the talent hit this team took when they banished the shining star that is Jordan Binnington to the AHL. And what of the $65k this team is losing having some chump future Hall of Famer over a prospect that's clearly shown he's ready for this level. Martin Brodeur is probably going to bury us in the standings by Christmas.

Keep fighting the good fight. Optimism must...be...crushed.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Just excited to see him suit up for a couple games, and hopefully he at least plays serviceable for the sake of his own pride.

This is pretty much where I stand. He comes cheap, he has more experience than the rest of our team put together -- why not give him a shot?

Hope he plays well. Go Blues.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I 100% understand the signing. What I don't understand is that people think we signed him to be our starter. As long as they give Allen the majority of the starts and we just use Marty for spot starts as our backup and release Marty when Elliott is healthy I am happy.

inglouriousbackes

Mar 11, 2011
Bellevegas, Illinois
I am fine with this signing as we need Elliot to rest up. Groin injuries are a spotty subject and we may not know how long Elliot will be out with. As long as Allen gets the majority of the starts I am fine with this signing. Seeing Marty in the Blues uniform will be a strange sight but i welcome the publicity. He can also mentor Allen in working within the system and understanding any fundamental skills in moving the puck as a goalie.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I still think we'll find room for him to stay on the roster. We would be right back in this situation if Ells or Allen got hurt again.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I 100% understand the signing. What I don't understand is that people think we signed him to be our starter. As long as they give Allen the majority of the starts and we just use Marty for spot starts as our backup and release Marty when Elliott is healthy I am happy.

Scott Stevens talked about Brodeur winning the Conn Smythe Trophy. But, maybe he just has to say that about an ex-teammate.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
He looks so weird in a different uniform. Anyways take care of him. He will have a few games where he turns the clock back a bit

Sniper

It's learning...
Jun 11, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
The way the schedule works for the rest of the month, I would be surprised if he gets more than 4 starts out of the remaining 12 games.

12/4 = Nashville
12/13 = Colorado
12/18 = L.A. or 12/20 = San Jose
12/29 = Colorado or 12/30 = Nashville (I'd lean Colorado since they are the weaker opponent now.)

In January, there are 9 games before the start of the All-Star game with only 1 back to back series (albeit a tough one with Anaheim and San Jose). The next 2 weeks, we play every Tues, Thurs, and Sat. I imagine Allen will get 2/3 of those starts. If I had to guess, I would think Brodeur gets the Carolina and Toronto starts on the Saturdays.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
And there's 0% chance they split 50/50 if Allen continues to stink it up like he did last night?

The way the schedule works for the rest of the month, I would be surprised if he gets more than 4 starts out of the remaining 12 games.

12/4 = Nashville
12/13 = Colorado
12/18 = L.A. or 12/20 = San Jose
12/29 = Colorado or 12/30 = Nashville (I'd lean Colorado since they are the weaker opponent now.)

In January, there are 9 games before the start of the All-Star game with only 1 back to back series (albeit a tough one with Anaheim and San Jose). The next 2 weeks, we play every Tues, Thurs, and Sat. I imagine Allen will get 2/3 of those starts. If I had to guess, I would think Brodeur gets the Carolina and Toronto starts on the Saturdays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad