Confirmed with Link: Maroon to Edmonton

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
He didnt get fleeced, He wasnt trying to win the trade, he just had to get rid of maroon.. Simple as that.

The timing of the trade makes this a bad trade. Gernat + 4th is absolutely nothing for a guy, who was great in the playoffs last year. If Bob wanted Paddy gone, he could've ejected him for a 7th at the draft or something.

This is a ****ty deal, no matter how you look at this. Why Bob, why?

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Gernat is big, decent skater, completely non-physical, and hasn't managed to put up a decent number of points since the 13-14 season down in the AHL.

This year he was demoted from our AHL team to our ECHL team and I haven't heard a thing about him since.

All of that said, he's only 22 but so far it doesn't look like a very promising career path. On the other hand, the 4th is likely to be pretty high up there since we suck **** (again).

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
No fleecing here.

I liked when Maroon occasionally controlled the puck.

But money off the books is good.

And there's really no one else in this forward lineup I'd like to sit out for Maroon.

He did score some goals in the playoffs last year. But IIRC, we didn't win the cup last year either.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The Oilers used to be pretty high on Gernat a couple of years ago, but got stuck in development. I root for Slovakia to become a powerful hockey country again, so I like Gernat just for that reason.

I think this is only the 2nd Slovak in our system since the 04/05 lockout, with Visnovsky obviously being the other one. We had Radoslav Illo too but he never had a contract and only played a couple of games in the AHL.

Anyway, last time we got a Slovak defenceman from Edmonton it turned out pretty good :D

ForzaFCBAnaheim

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
This trade is obviously mainly for cap reasons. He brought in two other forwards, plus Horcoff and Stewart will get back, so Maroon was more or less expendable. Especially considering him making $2M a year for two more years. That's a lot of money that now can be used to re-sign RFAs. Look at what Benner got, a two-year deal at an AAV of $2.9M. Rakell could get something similar.

As for why not wait till the draft, well, Maroon could get hurt. Or play horribly or not at all and his value decreases. The reality of things just is that Anaheim is a budget team and it makes moves not only for the upcoming playoff run, but also for future years. That's just the team this is. And knowing that, I can perfectly live with this deal; we don't lose much, just some depth, but save lots of money to re-sign much more vital pieces in the summer.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Maybe this trade doesn't come up at the draft? I don't know. I liked Maroon, but I'm fine with the trade. It doesn't make us worse at all.

Obviously we don't know this, but I can't imagine someone doesn't offer Murray a 4th for a useful player at the draft. I'd feel better about this deal if Murray got a solid offer that was hard to pass up, but a mid round pick and a crap prospect? Keep him for the depth, and we'll move him in the off-season.

Don't like this one, just seems unnecessary. Hopefully Gernat turns into something, although a top 100 pick isn't so bad either.

This word perfectly describes the this trade, in particular, the timing.

As I've said before, this move boils down to a salary/cap transaction. The $2mm that would have gone to Maroon will be reallocated to our RFAs.

No one is disagreeing with this. The timing is what's poor. Murray could easily be moved in the off-season.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
The deal is really for the 4th, I'm sure Murray had to take a contract back so Edmonton sent their one they valued the least back. At least this is how I see it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The deal may not have existed in the offseason. One in the hand is better than two in the bush.

We didn't get amazing value. A similar deal to the one Murray just took absolutely would have been there in the offseason. Maroon is an NHL regular on almost any team

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Bummed about this, Maroon had arguably the nicest personality on the team. While I'm sad to see him go, it does help keep our Rfa's. If we move out Stoner that is 9 million (stoner, maroon, hagelin) that we didn't have at the start of the season for our rfas.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The deal may not have existed in the offseason. One in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Maroon was mainly dealt for salary reasons, the return doesn't matter. Deal him for a 7th during the offseason, that achieves the same thing.

A 4th rounder isn't good enough to warrant Paddy's trade now. I would've given him another opportunity in the playoffs, a potentially strong playoff performance is significantly better than a 4th rounder.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What happened to Gernat? His numbers until 2 seasons ago looked great. Bob is working on our San Diego roster for next season.

really tall, good skater, good offensive instincts. Relied heavily on his raw tools in junior to post good numbers (also on powerhouse WHL team that won the mem cup). But in AHL he learned the hard way raw tools only get you so far

He puts in (reportedly) no work in the offseason and had serious off season training issues that got management pretty ticked off at him. Hasnt put on any weight since junior and weighs like 180 for a tall guy.

He is ultra soft and lost in his own end. He plays a lazy game, but can show offensive ability

Hell be in Europe in no time

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
We got an upgraded version of Maroon with better speed in McGinn. It allows McGinn to audition for a contract next season and see how he fits in with the boys. Move could have waited until the offseason, but we have too many forwards once everyone is healthy anyways.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Guys are making a big deal about maroon, he was basically a plug... had 1 decent playoff run and has been pretty subpar after that. He was also the highest paid out of all the people fighting for our 4th line spot.... and the least effective in the role. He was a nice complimentary player to getz and perry, but I think mcginn is a big upgrade on him, so its unlikely he was going to get a spot in our top 9.

Didn't see the retain part... but stil not so bad, I think every forward on our roster has been out playing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad