Confirmed with Link: Maroon to Edmonton

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Maroon wasn't going to do anything in the playoffs this year. He's had a down year and would not be playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Who says he wouldn't have ended up back with Rakell and Perry? He was pretty good with them the past couple months. McGinn/Pirri may not fit with them.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
subtracting useful players at the deadline is a terrible idea for a contender.

I figured Maroon would be gone, but I figured it'd be in the off-season when much of roster could change. This is a bad move by Murray, more of bad timing, but still, bad move on his part.

not really subtracting when he had no spot on the roster.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
subtracting useful players at the deadline is a terrible idea for a contender.

I figured Maroon would be gone, but I figured it'd be in the off-season when much of roster could change. This is a bad move by Murray, more of bad timing, but still, bad move on his part.

All depends on your view of Maroon. I don't find him terribly useful any longer. He's had a horrible year and McGinn is a better player.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
Who says he wouldn't have ended up back with Rakell and Perry? He was pretty good with them the past couple months. McGinn/Pirri may not fit with them.
He had all season to try different lines and we went out and upgraded because he proved himself not good enough. I don't think this is any big loss

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
not really subtracting when he had no spot on the roster.

Yes he did. McGinn replaces Ritchie. You could argue that Pirri has no spot either. Isn't he hurt still? Is it a slam dunk he's going to be an improvement on Stewart?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yes he did. McGinn replaces Ritchie. You could argue that Pirri has no spot either. Isn't he hurt still? Is it a slam dunk he's going to be an improvement on Stewart?

We have Stewart, Horcoff, Stewart, McGinn, Pirri. Maroon probably had a spot on the roster right now, but when Stewart, Horcoff, Pirri got back, he didn't have a spot. Easier to get this deal done now.

This is a great move for our cap, that's the important part.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
All depends on your view of Maroon. I don't find him terribly useful any longer. He's had a horrible year and McGinn is a better player.

Like I said, I expected Maroon to be gone. I'm not necessarily upset that we moved Maroon. I'm upset that we did it for a low price, now. I get that we're a budget team, but players like Maroon are sought after. I don't think we would have struggled to get that price at the draft. You don't subtract players who can contribute at the deadline IMO. What if McGinn gets hurt? I bet Murray will be kicking himself then.

The timing is just terrible.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Pirri replaces Ritchie and McGinn replaces Maroon. Plus Horcoff and Stewart will come back. Maroon really wasn't that impactful this year and IMO is not a big loss.

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
I see the Ducks' style of play being a lot better suited for Pat than a lot of other teams, including Edmonton. It'll be interesting to see if he can hang and be useful with some of their speedy young guys. If he doesn't at least he can play on the 4th line and hit and fight occasionally.

I think with McGinn being added, the Ducks did get better today and did themselves a favor monetarily for the offseason. Still a bummer to see Maroon go being that he was well liked by his teammates and Ducks fans.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
We have Stewart, Horcoff, Stewart, McGinn, Pirri. Maroon probably had a spot on the roster right now, but when Stewart, Horcoff, Pirri got back, he didn't have a spot. Easier to get this deal done now.

This is a great move for our cap, that's the important part.

Why is it easier now? Every single media personality has said that trades are easier at the draft than now. I'd say you're wrong there.

I get it, McGinn is a replacement, probably an upgrade, for Maroon. That does not mean you trade Maroon right now.

I would have zero problems with this move if Maroon was traded as part of a package for a better player, but he wasn't.

It's a good move for our budget, but it's bad timing.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Why is it easier now? Every single media personality has said that trades are easier at the draft than now. I'd say you're wrong there.

I get it, McGinn is a replacement, probably an upgrade, for Maroon. That does not mean you trade Maroon right now.

I would have zero problems with this move if Maroon was traded as part of a package for a better player, but he wasn't.

It's a good move for our budget, but it's bad timing.

Maybe this trade doesn't come up at the draft? I don't know. I liked Maroon, but I'm fine with the trade. It doesn't make us worse at all.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Pirri replaces Ritchie and McGinn replaces Maroon. Plus Horcoff and Stewart will come back. Maroon really wasn't that impactful this year and IMO is not a big loss.

Isn't Pirri a RW? Plus, he's hurt.

I don't think it's a big loss, but it's a very unnecessary one.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
As I've said before, this move boils down to a salary/cap transaction. The $2mm that would have gone to Maroon will be reallocated to our RFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad