Maroon Appreciation Thread

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
People saying this thread is premature probably haven't watched the Anaheim Ducks, or Patrick Maroon very much. He's always been very noticeable in that lineup. No reason to think he shouldn't be here.

Moment this trade went down I was ecstatic because I know what this player can do and that he can play minutes and certainly topsix minutes.

For years this org recruited players like Stortini, Eager, Brown that do nothing to adjust topsix toughness because those players would NEVER see topsix play.

Releasing a guy like Purcell and replacing with a guy like Maroon, is huge, excuse pun because it completely shifts the way the topsix unit can play. Kass has done similar where he's played.

Guys like Hall, Eberle, Nuge, McDavid BENEFIT from having a big stong puck winger on a wing.

Maroon gets an assist last night on the Drai goal that is a play that would not have happened without his strength and ability to hang onto the puck which he has done at least half a dozen times a game.

Pat Maroon was good enough to play with Getzlaf and Perry and with a more consistent work ethic than Dustin Penner.

People should be thrilled with having this player. In time most of you will be.

Oct 15, 2008
Less prevalent is fine..within reason. If he stops, the Oilers lose the benefit of what they got strong, heavy players for. If he starts to avoid confrontation, as per Pouliot, Drai, etc., (and he doesn't have the skills to compensate), then he becomes another bottom 6 player with little value for the dollars.

When you have limited skills and you play hard and heavy(he's no Lucic), there will be fighting involved..especially to stand up for your team mates. If he stops doing that, he becomes a non-factor and the Oil are back where they started.

I loved the thought of Maroon and especially his first game. If he continues playing that way, he'll be great for the Oil but with that comes having to fight occasionally while standing up for the more skilled players.

Unless there is a chance of losing the fight. In that case, run away.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
As a fan of Anaheim, I hate this trade and miss him like crazy..

Want to swap him back for Bieksa?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
People saying this thread is premature probably haven't watched the Anaheim Ducks, or Patrick Maroon very much. He's always been very noticeable in that lineup. No reason to think he shouldn't be here.

Moment this trade went down I was ecstatic because I know what this player can do and that he can play minutes and certainly topsix minutes.

For years this org recruited players like Stortini, Eager, Brown that do nothing to adjust topsix toughness because those players would NEVER see topsix play.

Releasing a guy like Purcell and replacing with a guy like Maroon, is huge, excuse pun because it completely shifts the way the topsix unit can play. Kass has done similar where he's played.

Guys like Hall, Eberle, Nuge, McDavid BENEFIT from having a big stong puck winger on a wing.

Maroon gets an assist last night on the Drai goal that is a play that would not have happened without his strength and ability to hang onto the puck which he has done at least half a dozen times a game.

Pat Maroon was good enough to play with Getzlaf and Perry and with a more consistent work ethic than Dustin Penner.

I don't know enough about the player, tho he certainly is the type of player we have needed since Penner.

I think the issue will be consistency. So many big guys have a problem with that. (i wonder why?)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Eh, he's a better fighter than he showed tonight. The other guy got the advantage on the jersey grab and had Maroon in a spot where he couldn't really throw, while Maroon didnt grab onto an area to really restrict the other guy. Don't even care if he fights or not though, he has had 2 great games and adds a lot to the team that we need. Single handedly set up Drai's goal by winning a puck battle that he had no business winning from his body position, showing just how strong he really his.

I see we're on the same page ;)

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

This is a great post. In the NHL today you need big players to insulate smaller players, unless the skill is just absolutely off the chart like Patrick Kane

The bolded part exactly, it's why I advocated having Kassian with Mcdavid with that amount of skill you just need guys who will be trying to focus on one guy (Mcdavid) while he's creating time and space, and yet they still have enough skill to do the same for Mcdavid just in a different way. It's just a balance of two things. Only skill on a line works for only the elite of the elite - even Malkin/Crosby never worked great. Analogy is like football you only have so many wr, te, and rb so your best threat is having a combination of all. The Oilers can have all the high end skill on one line but it doesn't work for many teams that do that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maroon appreciation thread after 1 game? lol

I would appreciate if Maroon didnt fight anymore.

Why not? If the situation calls for it get after it. I watched a ton of his fight catalog and I said that he was a better fighter than Gryba but not quite as good as Kassian. You don't need to be Boogard to send a message with a fight.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Why not? If the situation calls for it get after it. I watched a ton of his fight catalog and I said that he was a better fighter than Gryba but not quite as good as Kassian. You don't need to be Boogard to send a message with a fight.
I don't even care about the fights, he plays a heavy game and gets his nose dirty. Also possesses some skill. From what I've seen so far he is like Kassian but better without the possibility of off ice issues, and whats better is having both in the lineup. I could care less if he punches people, already it looks like he has made several Oilers play bigger around him. :yo:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't even care about the fights, he plays a heavy game and gets his nose dirty. Also possesses some skill. From what I've seen so far he is like Kassian but better without the possibility of off ice issues, and whats better is having both in the lineup. I could care less if he punches people, already it looks like he has made several Oilers play bigger around him. :yo:

The willingness to fight is an added bonus. His size, strength, physicality and hands are all very valuable to our club.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Strong showing by Chia adding Kassian & Maroon for Scrivens, Gernat and a 4th round pick.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Strong showing by Chia adding Kassian & Maroon for Scrivens, Gernat and a 4th round pick.

I know he won't keep up this scoring pace on the Oilers, but wow. Added a Teddy Purcell replacement for 1/3 the cost who will have similar production, but actually plays physical, gritty, and isn't knocked off the puck constantly.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
This is why guys like me said last year the Oilers need a Torres/Marchand type and people on the board laughed.

It's great to feel retribution, because your not trying to build an all star team, you can't even do that in basketball or baseball (sometimes, but not all the time)

You need guys who play hard and wear down other teams.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
He basically says the opposite of what you would expect.

Reverse psychology?

I guarantee (not even joking) other coaches thought ok well i guess i will play all the hard nosed guys and agitators. Could you imagine being a coach of the Bruins/Flyers back in the day and hearing that.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
If Eakins was talking about baseball, he's right.

Thanks for posting that. As disappointing as this season has been, its always nice to see how much worse it was not that long ago.

'You know what the perfect game is? The game is no hits. Do you know why that is?'

So much arrogance and condescension from a complete idiot :laugh:

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
I was always convinced Yak wore 64...because a 4 looks like a 9 the way they do the numbers. im an auto hound and i asked him one day if that was the reason and he made a big smile and winked.

If people recall the tweets he recvd and made during the summer that year it makes sense. When people were tweeting what his number would be...there was a long string of girls asking him for his favorite number (asking while making sexual statements and using innuendo). Yak had some witty responses, using other sexually related numbers, and tried to not mention 69. He mentioned numbers 99, 33, 67...and would be laughing in the posts 55. lol.
when he chose 64 a bunch of us laughed pretty hard because the 4 was basically a 9.

Thx for the story - I never caught that, guess my mind isn't as dirty as I thought it was lol.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
If you get a chance listen to Maroon's pre game interview do it. He just keeps impressing me more and more. This is the leadership that coaches love and what Hall and Drai need so badly. Hall and Drai are so lethal on the rush but now that Maroon is with them you can see their cycle game getting more desperate and I for one love it. It is so important especially for Drai as that is the one area of his game that he can become elite in and now he has a teammate to practice with.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I really like combo of Drai/Hall/Maroon

Hall causes so much ruckus in offensive zone. This is how hes so effective, but a negative from this is that he losses puck alot. Draisaitl and Maroon are perfect linemates because they are very good along boards. They can cycle the puck so well and find linemates. It puts puck less on Halls stick, but opens him up more, and they cover from him when he losses the puck

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Because IMO he isnt going to accomplish much in terms of helping this team win if he becomes a knuckle dragging version of what he can actually be as a player.

Fighting is (thankfully) on its way out of the game hopefully to be replaced by hard nosed tough to play against players with some skill. Maroon can be that player with this team. He is good down low and creates space for his linemates. He knows his role and embraces it fully. All good stuff.

I look forward to the day when clean hits aren't an excuse to jump all over the player that delivered the hit.

Re:this thread.
I have watched Maroon for the past year (especially in the playoffs last season) and he has looked good with skilled wingers. It was a very good trade...I said as much when Chia acquired him.

That being said the thread is way premature.

How about waiting until the player actually accomplishes something with his new team before we start gushing about him with appreciation threads...lol.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Because IMO he isnt going to accomplish much in terms of helping this team win if he becomes a knuckle dragging version of what he can actually be as a player.

Fighting is (thankfully) on its way out of the game hopefully to be replaced by hard nosed tough to play against players with some skill. Maroon can be that player with this team. He is good down low and creates space for his linemates. He knows his role and embraces it fully. All good stuff.

I look forward to the day when clean hits aren't an excuse to jump all over the player that delivered the hit.

Re:this thread.
I have watched Maroon for the past year (especially in the playoffs last season) and he has looked good with skilled wingers. It was a very good trade...I said as much when Chia acquired him.

That being said the thread is way premature.

How about waiting until the player actually accomplishes something with his new team before we start gushing about him with appreciation threads...lol.

Don't usually agree with you but this is one area of the game that does nothing. Size is more about making it easier for your skilled guys.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why is it a bad thing to show appreciation and be honest about feeling that in a thread on that topic and regarding a team that we don't get to be happy about all that often?

I'm known here as a curmudgeon and yet I'm overjoyed the club is getting players like Maroon and Kassian that are automatically useful here and have all the intangibles this team requires dearly.

These have been good additions. Especially in the case of Maroon he has been a consistent, low maintenance player pretty known for his game to game efforts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad