Maroon Appreciation Thread

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Most Ducks fans were either disappointed or confused, especially after seeing the return for him.

A great sign, but again I am sure there is a bit more to this trade then meets the eye.

I can only assume Bob Murray accidentally knocked over Maroon's coffee, and traded him before he got his head popped off like a dandelion.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Well the Ducks got a similar player in McGinn now..who happened to get a similar goal as Maroon's tonight.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I really did not know too much about Maroon but I have been impressed with his debut as an Oiler. The guy is very strong the Flyers were trying to double team him and failing. He's hard to get off the puck, is physical, also he does have a scoring touch to him he is just the kind of player the Oilers need. I am wondering how the team will be when Hopkins, Klefbom and Reinhart are all healthy and in the line up. It's too bad we didn't have Maroon at the start of the season. At least it's something to look forward to next season and whatever player we get in the draft.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Why waste time, I love this guy, always have.

The guy is an absolute tank out there and I said Oilers fans would love this dude.
LMFAO at Flyers trying to double team him tonight and still failing.

Plus Maroon gets a beauty goal, some beauty taunts at the Flyers bench and taking on all comers.

PERFECT guy to have out against wannabe tough Flyers. Absolutely rebalances lineup.

Its like the Habs having Larry Robinson out there against the Flyers.

Flyers had NO ANSWER for Maroon all night.

Did I say I love this guy?

Longterm man, this guy needs to be part of the plans here longterm.

Still got him for 2 more years and only 1.5M on the cap books

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Chia appreciation. He got this guy, Kassian, Pardy and Cracknell for a 4th rounder essentially. Chia knows what's up and yeah, I'm Over The Maroon to have Maroon in the lineup.
Loved this pickup from the second I saw it pop on the trade board. The Ducks are going to miss this guy in the playoffs.

If you saw the Chia interview...Chia had a sparkle in his eye when he said he made a trade. He looked sooo tired other than the obvious sparkle to mention he had a trade being completed to announce later. Chia loves these types of players.

Many people on this board know I was a Bruins fan for the Chia era. This is what Chia does.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I think he should get #69

He sure 86ed those flyers Tonight tho

I was always convinced Yak wore 64...because a 4 looks like a 9 the way they do the numbers. im an auto hound and i asked him one day if that was the reason and he made a big smile and winked.

If people recall the tweets he recvd and made during the summer that year it makes sense. When people were tweeting what his number would be...there was a long string of girls asking him for his favorite number (asking while making sexual statements and using innuendo). Yak had some witty responses, using other sexually related numbers, and tried to not mention 69. He mentioned numbers 99, 33, 67...and would be laughing in the posts 55. lol.
when he chose 64 a bunch of us laughed pretty hard because the 4 was basically a 9.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I do love having Maroon and Kassian in the top 6/9. They're free to run around and be proper bodyguards/open up the ice for the skill guys. And it allows the 4th line to be a purely shutdown line.

Though I do think they need to get Pakman back in the lineup though

Hall-Draisaitl-Kassian
Yakupov-McDavid-Eberle
Marron-RNH-Pakarinen
Hendricks-Korpikoski-Cranknell/Letestu/Lander

Add Gyrba and Klefbom on defence...

Davidson-Klefbom
Sekera-Fayne
Pardy-Gyrba/Clendening

Talbot
Brossoit

Honestly I can see this team going on a bit of a run. They're big, they're skilled, and with the addition of Maroon and Kassian: they're mean. :toothless For the first time in a while, it looks like they're really emotionally invested.

Also kudos to McLellan who seemed to have a good grasp on how to utilize the two of them in a chippy game. It says something when that was one of the most physical and penalty filled games they've played all season, and Hendricks didn't have to resort to being "the guy" to stand up for his team. Thus you get to keep you're best PK'er on the ice and not in the penalty box

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I really don't understand how the Oilers got this guy for so cheap. I can't help but feel we will find out soon enough that he has some major flaws or something because there is no reason for the Oilers to have this guy for peanuts as it is right now.

Real nice to see.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Chia appreciation. He got this guy, Kassian, Pardy and Cracknell for a 4th rounder essentially. Chia knows what's up and yeah, I'm Over The Maroon to have Maroon in the lineup.
Loved this pickup from the second I saw it pop on the trade board. The Ducks are going to miss this guy in the playoffs.

Yep. I've been calling for balance in the forward group for years now. Pretty funny that all it tooks was to pick some guys off waivers and use a 4th round pick for it to happen. This team is vastly different with some toughness in the lineup and particularly in the forward group. Pretty absurd that it had to take this long for it to happen when it should've been obvious from the start of the rebuild that you have to surround these skilled guys with some size and sandpaper, but well done Chia for bringing in these guys. Now the team is actually enjoyable to watch.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Talk about premature excitement.

Yeah it probably is but this time it feels different. The team seems to be showing something new, it's not just one of those late season mirages that dont mean anything next season. I've already heard some talking heads say they've found an identity, I think of it more as playing with some swagger. We've had an identity for years, it's that of a sad sack loser that would crumble any time things looked bad but we've never really played with the confidence that they showed last night or if they did it faded when a team got rough with us.

I still think the D is a mess that smart, strong teams will be able to take advantage of in our end but we have no problems up front. It's a true strength with the mix of size and skill we are showing and once Nuge is back we can trade from a position of strength to fix the weakness on the backend.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Talk about premature excitement.

Why? People are excited to actually have some balls on the team. We haven't looked like a team of men in a long time. Maroon, Kassian, Pardy, Cracknell, Hendo, Nurse. I like it. Even guys like Fayne are now feeling comfortable enough to put the hammer down. There's a confidence that comes with having these beasts around to back you up.

I can't wait for the Battle of Alberta.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I really don't understand how the Oilers got this guy for so cheap. I can't help but feel we will find out soon enough that he has some major flaws or something because there is no reason for the Oilers to have this guy for peanuts as it is right now.

Real nice to see.

i think it was because the ducks couldnt fit mcginn in without moving him. mcginn>maroon thats not a slight on Maroon just a fact.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Chiarelli has a plan and this guy is clearly a player he was looking for as part of being bigger and tougher to play against. That said its only been one game and there will frustrating nights ahead. That is what I will be looking at and how he and the team reacts and gets over them.

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
Was very happy we were able to get this guy. It is really telling the interview with Hall after the game last night when he mentioned they are playing with more grit and they better get used to that. When the hell was the last time we heard that from an Oilers player. Chiarelli is beginning to make his mark on this team and man oh man what a breath of fresh air that is. I have noticed the team has some push back now in the games and that was so evident last night particularly when Pardy and Maroon defended Hall in that scrum.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
Maroon's a freaking beast. I'm loving this guy. So fun to watch a guy like that just wreck ass whenever he feels like it. :handclap:

If he keeps it up, I might have to get a Maroon jersey.

I was in Edmonton for the Islanders game (had a blast) and Jersey City had about a dozen Schultz jerseys for 50% off. Head down there, grab one up and change the name bar.....Viola!

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
A much meaner/more physical but poorer skating Penner. As long as he isn't played with 2 slower forwards his lack of speed shouldn't burn us too often. I loved how he manhandled two Flyers tonight. Between him and Kassian out there we saw guys like Fayne and Sekera giving guys the business after the whistle. Say what you will about fighting, intimidation, etc. but it was obvious that our team was playing much bigger than usual tonight. Now add Gryba to the mix and :)

That's what happens. Pack mentality. When you know you have guys backing you up you are more willing to give it back. It also helps when the tough guys can actually play hockey.

We had guys like Luke Gadzic as our "tough guys" lol.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Sure feels good to have some moxy in the lineup - it makes a difference to everyone's confidence when they sense they'll get more space or that fewer liberties against them will be put up with. LOVED how Patty was in there like a dirty shirt after Simmonds had knocked over Hall.

I've watched this exact scenario happen so many times previous, where one of our guys will be roughed up and all other Oilers on the ice at the time have conveniently looked away so as to not have to risk engagement. If Maroon (et al., now) can bring this to the table on a nightly basis, then he'll see his jersey become pretty common in the stands at Rogers.

We LOVE guys like this, and they're the type that change roster make ups and attitudes. It's one game and he's hopped up looking to prove his worth, but if last night is the consistent end product of this deal...Martin who?

Also love that he looks not only engaged, but happy to be wearing Oilers silks. A 10 game losing streak can change this quick, I get it. But he doesn't LOOK like a guy disappointed to go from penthouse to relative outhouse (for this year in the standings, at least), and seems like he could have some positive focus for future.

Muy bien, Chia. Muy bien.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It was really weird seeing the number 19 play so physical and strong.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
It might be worth mentioning, considering the deal that we got for this guy, a couple of things.

Is he going to be consistant?

What future trades might seem like a bit of a loss if made with the Ducks?

My way of thinking is that there is always some side deal or handshake/verbal deal in allot of what we don't see. Might be worth consideration at some point, even a year or 2 from now.

You rub my back, I'll rub yours.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Real nice to see.

I chalk this one up to lowest Shooting % in his career. Every GM falls for confirmation bias. Regardless of play, it comes down largely to goals. If a player is playing bad but scoring alot due to puck luck (Monahan) coaches, gms and fdans tend to only see the best in them. They must be good if they score alot. On the other hand, if a player isnt scoring due to bad luck, but still playing good, everyone sees the worst. Hes not scoring so he must be doing something wrong

Maroons shot metrics seem consistant, indicating his play has been roughly the same. The big, big difference is hes shooting amongst lowest S% in the NHL

Watch him shoot like 20% from here on out for the season and score like 5-10 goals

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It might be worth mentioning, considering the deal that we got for this guy, a couple of things.

Is he going to be consistant?

What future trades might seem like a bit of a loss if made with the Ducks?

My way of thinking is that there is always some side deal or handshake/verbal deal in allot of what we don't see. Might be worth consideration at some point, even a year or 2 from now.

You rub my back, I'll rub yours.

This was a cap dump by Ducks. They improved in Mginn but have great forward depth. They could afford to lose him. Although I could totally see this as opening communication lines with a new GM in Chiarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: