Maroon Appreciation Thread

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
With Kassian and now Maroon, Chia seems to have a knack of finding some gem forwards for low value (more so than on D). If he can unearth 1-2 more of these, it'll make Nuge, Ebs, and Yak more expendable as bargaining chips to improve our D.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Anyone know the story behind the hat? That one is new to me.

Oiler players got tired of wearing goat horns post game..

Nah, I actually knew the answer, heard the story, but damn, forgot. Its recent. Somebody had it around and then it was made the Oilers version of a thing.

adkid2

Jul 29, 2011
someone correct me if i am wrong but i think Gene mentioned it during the game against St.Louis.

Nilsson dressed up as a viking or something for the halloween party and when he got traded he left the hat behind. Now the team is using it to give it to the player of the game.. something like that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
someone correct me if i am wrong but i think Gene mentioned it during the game against St.Louis.

Nilsson dressed up as a viking or something for the halloween party and when he got traded he left the hat behind. Now the team is using it to give it to the player of the game.. something like that.

That's the one.

They wanted him to leave his wife behind but he would only leave the hat.

One good thing to come out of Nillson. Other than his wife I mean..

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Maroon is a gem. Fantastic pick up that will be looked at as one of chia's best first season moves

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Maroon is a gem. Fantastic pick up that will be looked at as one of chia's best first season moves

That first goal of his was a snipe tonight. McDavid tried to set him up for the hatty with a pass off the goalie pad but he couldn't finish it off. Was hoping he'd be out there for the PP, but glad Drai got one. He's been fighting it a bit lately which isn't unexpected for a young centre who was being asked to carry the team for a big stretch there. Hope he has a big summer and comes into camp even faster and stronger, and gets that F/O% up around 50 next year.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I couldn't care less about the ceremony and didn't even watch most of it. I'll keep the memories I have from the many great games I watched there. That's it.
But I am actually irritated that the Oilers managed to look so good tonight. Figures that the stupid Canucks would just roll over.
Now these losers get to walk away from the building they stunk up and desecrated feeling like they are winners. Its not right.
Maybe Korpikoski can leave his wife behind
Oogling other guy's wives is always classy. :sarcasm:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I couldn't care less about the ceremony and didn't even watch most of it. I'll keep the memories I have from the many great games I watched there. That's it.
But I am actually irritated that the Oilers managed to look so good tonight. Figures that the stupid Canucks would just roll over.
Now these losers get to walk away from the building they stunk up and desecrated feeling like they are winners. Its not right.
Oogling other guy's wives is always classy. :sarcasm:

I'm just saying he can go, she can stay. :laugh:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Maroon has been very good so far and brings a lot of what this team has lacked. I'm not going to go head over heels on him because the oilers have had tons of guys like this in the past but he brings enough skill and sense to play with mcdavid to go along with size and puck gathering. He also seems to really like playing here. Very good acquisition.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The Maroon pick up is a pick up great management make. An undervalued guy had for cheap that goes on to have big chemistry on your team. If Chiarelli can make 2 more of these to solidify bottom 6 (along with some bigger moves) we are laughing. Not that he has to hadd them in the offseason, but over the course of the next 2-3 years

7 goals (!!) and 13 points in 15 games. He already covered the bet on that 4th round pick. Now we are just playing with house money and have a top 6 PWF at 1.5 million. Unreal

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Absolutely unreal so far. His character, his style of play, and his offensive production. Has done absolutely everything right so far.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Maroon pick up is a pick up great management make. An undervalued guy had for cheap that goes on to have big chemistry on your team. If Chiarelli can make 2 more of these to solidify bottom 6 (along with some bigger moves) we are laughing. Not that he has to hadd them in the offseason, but over the course of the next 2-3 years

7 goals (!!) and 13 points in 15 games. He already covered the bet on that 4th round pick. Now we are just playing with house money and have a top 6 PWF at 1.5 million. Unreal

Its a solid pick but its the type o deal accomplished quality vet managers make in their sleep. Even a luddite like me recognized instantly how good Maroon was going to be for us. I couldn't believe it when we acquired him. It doesn't take a tone of know how to recognize the difference between Maroon and a series of the scrubs the Oilers used to actuire like Mike Brown, Ben Eager, Hordichuk, Gazdik. In all those instance people here for some reason got excited and bought into the "just what we need"

In Maroons instance its real because he has commensurate talent to slot in topsix, not look entirely out of place, and has worked a niche there already in NHL. So he's capable of quality minutes and playing with our top pairs. This was going to work out from the outset.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its a solid pick but its the type o deal accomplished quality vet managers make in their sleep. Even a luddite like me recognized instantly how good Maroon was going to be for us. I couldn't believe it when we acquired him. It doesn't take a tone of know how to recognize the difference between Maroon and a series of the scrubs the Oilers used to actuire like Mike Brown, Ben Eager, Hordichuk, Gazdik. In all those instance people here for some reason got excited and bought into the "just what we need"

In Maroons instance its real because he has commensurate talent to slot in topsix, not look entirely out of place, and has worked a niche there already in NHL. So he's capable of quality minutes and playing with our top pairs. This was going to work out from the outset.

I both agree and disagree with you on this one. These deals arent as easy as you make them seem. If it was true good management make these deals in their sleep, we would have seen his price higher than it was. easily we got him for free if you consider Gernat to be a contract dump and the 4th was incentive to take him. I think he was a really undervalued asset that was both unproven in past and having a rough year. If he was a sure bet, a good GM would have traded a higher pick than a 4th. On the other hand this deal isnt some ground breaking trade. At the end of the day he is a third liner and other teams have his kind. But good GMs make 3 or 4 of these kind of deals in their tenure on route to being a contender. But its still a postive trade a sign of good things to come

On another note, this trade and how you and myself perceived it probably couldnt have been more different (but arrived at same result). You liked the player in what you saw (especially in prior years). I think the trade from an analytics POV because he had 5th lowest S% amongst active forwards, it was bound to bounce back up. He was rocking good possession numbers as well. Sure he was on 4th line, but he was there because of poor s%. If a guy isnt scoring (even if hes play well and havign bad luck) he tends to ride the pine. So while everyone was saying acquired a 4th liner from a contender, I was thinking he was more than that. Different ways of evaluating the trade, both both thought it was very good at the time. Just different ways of arriving at that point

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I both agree and disagree with you on this one. These deals arent as easy as you make them seem. If it was true good management make these deals in their sleep, we would have seen his price higher than it was. easily we got him for free if you consider Gernat to be a contract dump and the 4th was incentive to take him. I think he was a really undervalued asset that was both unproven in past and having a rough year. If he was a sure bet, a good GM would have traded a higher pick than a 4th. On the other hand this deal isnt some ground breaking trade. At the end of the day he is a third liner and other teams have his kind. But good GMs make 3 or 4 of these kind of deals in their tenure on route to being a contender. But its still a postive trade a sign of good things to come

On another note, this trade and how you and myself perceived it probably couldnt have been more different (but arrived at same result). You liked the player in what you saw (especially in prior years). I think the trade from an analytics POV because he had 5th lowest S% amongst active forwards, it was bound to bounce back up. He was rocking good possession numbers as well. Sure he was on 4th line, but he was there because of poor s%. If a guy isnt scoring (even if hes play well and havign bad luck) he tends to ride the pine. So while everyone was saying acquired a 4th liner from a contender, I was thinking he was more than that. Different ways of evaluating the trade, both both thought it was very good at the time. Just different ways of arriving at that point

Of course its possible to detect the same intangibles from differential assessment tools of the same subject.

Yeah, possession numbers, but heres some old school assessment. You note when a players on the ice and so do the opponents. A player like Maroon is of value because when maroon converges on puck carrier its different than another player. A guy like Maroon bends ice because he's the toughest nature of opponent to play against that will bring it on most shifts. As opponents you know when he's on the ice. The sheer physical will of some players has impact in hockey. The sheer physical desire. Maroon gets time and space out there because innately opponents don't play him the same way. As much as any player likes to think nobody backs him off Maroon does. With Maroon in vicinity there is hesitancy. Even in the LA Kings.

I kept saying Maroon was one of the scariest opponents for the Kings. One they really had no answer for. Similarly when Penner was a King teams had no answer to his play.

Maroon is a big beast with hands that will dominate out there, play considerable minutes, and park himself where he wants to. He gets that space too. nobody can take it away.

Only Maroon stops Maroon.

Buff is similar in that regard.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Of course its possible to detect the same intangibles from differential assessment tools of the same subject.

Yeah, possession numbers, but heres some old school assessment. You note when a players on the ice and so do the opponents. A player like Maroon is of value because when maroon converges on puck carrier its different than another player. A guy like Maroon bends ice because he's the toughest nature of opponent to play against that will bring it on most shifts. As opponents you know when he's on the ice. The sheer physical will of some players has impact in hockey. The sheer physical desire. Maroon gets time and space out there because innately opponents don't play him the same way. As much as any player likes to think nobody backs him off Maroon does. With Maroon in vicinity there is hesitancy. Even in the LA Kings.

I kept saying Maroon was one of the scariest opponents for the Kings. One they really had no answer for. Similarly when Penner was a King teams had no answer to his play.

Maroon is a big beast with hands that will dominate out there, play considerable minutes, and park himself where he wants to. He gets that space too. nobody can take it away.

Only Maroon stops Maroon.

Buff is similar in that regard.

Agreed, thats a great assessment

If Maroon can get his conditioning down pat and improve skating a bit in offseason, imagine what hell become. Cant get much more motivation for off season than knowing that you potentially have a spot on a line with McDavid and if you work you tail off you could be up for a big career year

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Agreed, thats a great assessment

If Maroon can get his conditioning down pat and improve skating a bit in offseason, imagine what hell become. Cant get much more motivation for off season than knowing that you potentially have a spot on a line with McDavid and if you work you tail off you could be up for a big career year

Would love it if the team taps Draisaitl on the shoulder and gets him to speak to Maroon about Drais past offseason regimen. Also that Drai continue to engage in it.

Both players are carrying the similar chassis and would have similar skating dynamics and benefit from the same training. just a thought.

no other player here got as much appreciation in his jump and first steps than Drai. To the degree he's become a different player on the ice.

Can you imagine if Maroon could converge on puck carrier even quicker? What a forechecking monster that would bring.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
I thought I heard the guys on sportsnet last night during the ceremony sayTMac had gone to Maroon and said something like "We really like you and feel you can do well here, but you need to come into camp in the fall in shape"

If the HC saying something like that doesn't motivate you to bust your butt all summer long I think you have a broken motivator. Here's hoping Maroon rises to that. He sure seems excited to be an Oiler.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
With Kassian and now Maroon, Chia seems to have a knack of finding some gem forwards for low value (more so than on D). If he can unearth 1-2 more of these, it'll make Nuge, Ebs, and Yak more expendable as bargaining chips to improve our D.

He has a habit of doing it with Dmen and prospects too. He is very good at what he does and learned some valuable cap managing lessons from his time in Boston.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I thought I heard the guys on sportsnet last night during the ceremony sayTMac had gone to Maroon and said something like "We really like you and feel you can do well here, but you need to come into camp in the fall in shape"

If the HC saying something like that doesn't motivate you to bust your butt all summer long I think you have a broken motivator. Here's hoping Maroon rises to that. He sure seems excited to be an Oiler.

I think the long summer will help Leon and Maroon.

Id like to see both of them work with the Oilers skating coaches during the summer. If Leon can keep improving with his skating...and Maroon can get a quicker first step on a SLIGHTLY leaner (summer workout) figure..

Also, Id think Maroon can also do the math...if he plays in the top 6 next year, and all signs point to us wanting him there, than he will need the endurance. He has to have a big off season.

I think he WILL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad