Maroon Appreciation Thread

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
maroon did a true vet move, he threw a puck in the trash and now everyone is talking about that instead of yakupov. its a deflection tactic and it works.

after the flyers got rolled in the cup finals Pronger threw the blackhawks game puck in the garbage. this was all the talk instead of how the flyers were severely outplayed and deflected heat to himself to allow his team to worry about the game.

its no different than when Herlt scored his 4th on lundquist and clown celly'd in his face. Thornton said if he scored 4 he woulda pulled his meat. everyone got all riled up and talked about that instead of the heat on a rookie.

its a vet move and its great for the room.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I've liked what maroon has brought to the team but the stealing the puck and throwing it out knowing they take the puck after wins is classless, were the bottom of the NHL we lost fair and square, just leave the puck.

Are you serious? I bet Maroon's current teammates love it.

Maroon for Captain.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It's not harmful to anyone to keep a puck. It's annoying and kind of infantile, but I don't have a problem with it since Maroon is capable of backing up what he does with real performance on the ice.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Big Rig FTW

Ce5QcqYWAAEN3Jt.png:large

What a pick up. Gave a 4th round pick and a lost prospect for a top 6 PWF. And truthfully I would have given a 4th round pick to get Gernats contract off the books. So a free top 6 PWF, for 1.5 million lolol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Would it be insane to say that with Maroon here now we don't need to throw money at Lucic? They play the same position and both are similar size and production. We could get both I suppose, but it might be better to spend that cap elsewhere and roll with LWers Hall, Maroon and Pouliot in the top 9

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Would it be insane to say that with Maroon here now we don't need to throw money at Lucic? They play the same position and both are similar size and production. We could get both I suppose, but it might be better to spend that cap elsewhere and roll with LWers Hall, Maroon and Pouliot in the top 9

I amde a bold prediction that Maroon will get more points than Lucic next year. Reasoning: Maroon will be having his contract year. This is his chance to get a big deal. He was a late bloomer in the NHL and his biggest deal was 2M per year. Hes 27 and this is his peak and last shot to get a big deal. Hell be going extremely hard out there. Plus McDavid. Im sure hell do whatever is needed to stay on that line

Lucic on other hand is a UFA and will likely be getting a s*** ton of cash. Once he gets this deal, there is less incentive to really go all out. Lucic in his contract year and a contender is only around a 55 point player (this year). Is this a sign his style is taking a toll on his body? If he signs in Vancouver say, thats his retirement contract. And hell have significant less talent to play with if hes not with Sedins

Im willingly to avatar bet this one

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
I amde a bold prediction that Maroon will get more points than Lucic next year. Reasoning: Maroon will be having his contract year. This is his chance to get a big deal. He was a late bloomer in the NHL and his biggest deal was 2M per year. Hes 27 and this is his peak and last shot to get a big deal. Hell be going extremely hard out there. Plus McDavid. Im sure hell do whatever is needed to stay on that line

Lucic on other hand is a UFA and will likely be getting a s*** ton of cash. Once he gets this deal, there is less incentive to really go all out. Lucic in his contract year and a contender is only around a 55 point player (this year). Is this a sign his style is taking a toll on his body? If he signs in Vancouver say, thats his retirement contract. And hell have significant less talent to play with if hes not with Sedins

Im willingly to avatar bet this one

Maroon is signed for 2 more years after this one, so it would not be his contract year next year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I love Maroon, but cmon he's not a similar producer as Lucic. Put Lucic on McDavid's wing and he's probably a 70 point winger. I'd still easily have Lucic to take Eberle's or Yaks spot if they're both moved assuming he's coming at 6x6 or 6.5x5.

Also I'm sure one of them can play the right side.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

Can't remember if this was posted before but I just watched it in any case

What a game this was :)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I love Maroon, but cmon he's not a similar producer as Lucic. Put Lucic on McDavid's wing and he's probably a 70 point winger. I'd still easily have Lucic to take Eberle's or Yaks spot if they're both moved assuming he's coming at 6x6 or 6.5x5.

Also I'm sure one of them can play the right side.

There's no assurance that Lucic will mesh as well with McDavid as Maroon does. We've seen that not every winger on our team does. I wouldn't split up Maroon and McDavid either until they stop working. I wouldn't mind getting Lucic though, since the tougher we get the better.

The only issue I have with Lucic is the risk. He's probably wanting 7 AAV long term with a full NMC. At that price we have to ask if he's needed or he's a luxury. When McDavid's next contract is up we will be pressed for cap space. We'll have that much less to upgrade our D with. We might lose Talbot when his deal is up because of it. One of Maroon's greatest qualities right now is contract flexibility.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's no assurance that Lucic will mesh as well with McDavid as Maroon does. We've seen that not every winger on our team does. I wouldn't split up Maroon and McDavid either until they stop working. I wouldn't mind getting Lucic though, since the tougher we get the better.

The only issue I have with Lucic is the risk. He's probably wanting 7 AAV long term with a full NMC. At that price we have to ask if he's needed or he's a luxury. When McDavid's next contract is up we will be pressed for cap space. We'll have that much less to upgrade our D with. We might lose Talbot when his deal is up because of it. One of Maroon's greatest qualities right now is contract flexibility.

I think it depends largely on what happens at the draft. I don't think it's a stretch that all three of Eberle, Yak and Pouliot are dealt at the draft. Yak because he's requested a trade, and Eberle/Pouliot because they may be used to address holes elsewhere. If that happened, it would be easy to see how a player like Lucic (or Ladd or Backes) becomes a priority.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

While thats true, the fact remains that Maroon's meshing with McDavid has been over a relatively small sample size and it can't just be expected that a guy with a career high 34 points is going to keep up this pace over a full season. We've seen McDavid can do relatively well with just about anyone aside from the player on this team who also needs to carry the puck and even if you keep Maroon with McDavid, theres no reason to think one of him or Lucic couldn't play the right side, or that one couldn't be moved to play with Nuge or Drai and Hall as he's shown he can be a consistent 20-30 goal 50-60 point guy. I also doubt he'd have much issue meshing with McDavid because of his play style (he's not a puck carrier/play driver) but thats besides the point.

If he's looking for a 7M NMC for 6 or 7 years then yeah thats fair thats a little too rich for my liking, but if it was in the price range I mentioned above I think he'd fit under the cap fine if we move out Pouliot and Eberle, and if need be Nuge as well in a couple years. With that said I'd be fine with us adding a cheaper big winger with skill and keeping Pouliot, but the idea of having a team skeleton of:

Hall-Drai-Lucic
Maroon-McDavid-Finn(ideally Laine)
xx-Nuge (or gritty 3C if he's dealt)-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Khaira

with guys like Nurse, one of Gryba/Pardy, potentially Hamonic, Reinhart in the future if he can keep up the physical edge, Davidson, Klefbom.

Thats a pretty huge lineup with quite a bit of skill and some fairly nasty and physical players. I've noticed that the more size we've been getting the more physical and feisty Hall has been getting as well. Maybe Lucic on his line wouldn't be a bad fit either if he can swap to the right side. To me thats the type of team many on this board have been dreaming of for quite some time now to stand up to the California teams.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Are you serious? I bet Maroon's current teammates love it.

Maroon for Captain.

It's classless pure and simple. If you guys were anywhere but last place it'd be almost excusable but your the worst team in NHL! Own it, show some humility and progress! That was just pathetic what Maroon did!

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
It's classless pure and simple. If you guys were anywhere but last place it'd be almost excusable but your the worst team in NHL! Own it, show some humility and progress! That was just pathetic what Maroon did!

There is few things to judge the action by.

1)Timing - (season, importance of game)

It's late in the year so one could argue that there is no point.
The team is an after thought, not playing for anything.

And that right there serves the importance of why to do it.

you won't be embarassed by the other team
you will get under the skin
you'll establish a hatred - do other teams want to play an easy going team or a team that's going to initiate a hard nose/fought 2 points or series.

The player involved already has made his linemates better but I giving them the message I got your back.

Other players yes, but when a new guy who has endeared himself to the fans does it and is a pretty good player - that meaningless game became more important. Just like Todd Mclellan playing against the sharks.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Uhhhh what?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I would love to have

Maroon - McDavid - Laine/ Puljujarvi

next season. That is the kind of line that can dominate in the western conference

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The question is which option is more valuable to the team? To me, Lucic isn't going to make McDavid that much more effective. Thus I don't see the point to make him this team highest paid forward.

If you bring in Lucic you're getting rid of Hall or Eberle and odds are he's going to be more expensive than either. So which looks more appealing: Lucic@7-McDavid-Stephniak@4 or [email protected]@6.

I don't think it's wise to spend 7mil on a complementary player, especially when you've already got a good fit there already.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Two more goals for Maroon tonight.

Didn't know much about him at first, but the more I watch him, the more I like him. He reminds me of a much-better Zach Stortini between his upbeat personality and his locker room skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad