Maroon Appreciation Thread

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Maroon stealing the puck is a GOAT move. Just a straight awesome/badass dude.

I can't even remember the last guy that endeared himself to the fanbase so fast. It might be Pronger. I mean there's guys like Mcdavid, Hall, that fans instantly like, but even at the games the guy actually has ...we won't say an aura...but it's definitely a positive presence on the players where you feel he's bringing an identity to them and what they stand for.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I can't even remember the last guy that endeared himself to the fanbase so fast. It might be Pronger. I mean there's guys like Mcdavid, Hall, that fans instantly like, but even at the games the guy actually has ...we won't say an aura...but it's definitely a positive presence on the players where you feel he's bringing an identity to them and what they stand for.

well said

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Love Maroon. He's clearly a leader in that room, I hope he's with us for a long time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I ****in love Maroon. Quickly becoming one of my favourite Oilers, continues to do and say the right things. He understands why teams are successful and while he's only been here a short time he's seems to be emerging as a leader.

Loved his post game tonight "They do this thing with the puck after the game so I stole their puck and threw it in the trash cause I knew it would get under their skin. They're gonna have to get a new puck."

Not only that but his candidness in calling the penalty a horrible call and his assessments of the team play just exudes leadership. Refreshing compared to all the robotic interviews we see nowadays.

I just pray that he can ride this momentum into next season and beyond. This is a guy who is young enough to grow with the core and become a real veteran leader for the group. We've seen these guys fizzle out before after the honeymoon period wore off so lets hope he's not the next one to bite the dust.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Not only that but his candidness in calling the penalty a horrible call and his assessments of the team play just exudes leadership. Refreshing compared to all the robotic interviews we see nowadays.

I just pray that he can ride this momentum into next season and beyond. This is a guy who is young enough to grow with the core and become a real veteran leader for the group. We've seen these guys fizzle out before after the honeymoon period wore off so lets hope he's not the next one to bite the dust.

This is what i am kind of afraid of.

i am hoping he can join Leon and JordanO in some skate training. Leon really impressed me with his improvement over the past summer. id like to see maybe even Reinhart in there. If Maroon could get an extra step...boy oh boy

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
After Remenda made the comment of Tmac and Woodcroft loving McGinn I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Oil next year either.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I missed the interview why did maroon take the puck?

Ducks give the game puck to Boudreau after a win. Maroon knows this since he played for them so he took the puck and threw it. Perry directly asked for it and he said no.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
This is what i am kind of afraid of.

i am hoping he can join Leon and JordanO in some skate training. Leon really impressed me with his improvement over the past summer. id like to see maybe even Reinhart in there. If Maroon could get an extra step...boy oh boy

It all really depends on is it luck/hot streak vs a guys effort level/laziness. Guys can fall into either category when what your describing happens.

When I watch the guy he's not Isbister, or Lacatoure when they couldn't even apply basic fundamentals every game like go to the net, provide screens, win puck battles, or one on one battles.

He's not in the Nedved or Guerin category of power forwards, but he's probably at best a Dustin Penner like player (not lite or better just similar) who will give it every game, and can be a 20-25 goal man - if he's paired with a Mcdavid or highly skilled forward. People forget he has played with Perry/Getzlaf at times so he's not some project piece that is getting his feet wet he can add a needed dimension.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
After Remenda made the comment of Tmac and Woodcroft loving McGinn I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Oil next year either.

I am wondering this year now if the whole idea of Maroon, Nurse, Hendricks, adding that extra dimension of physicality if they are more set on adding skill or more of a grittier guy like Okposo as opposed to going the total physical guy with limited skill. If you look at Gazdic he's been useless, the last really useful enforcer type with skill was Laraque, no one ever since really.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Playoff hockey and building a championship caliber team has players doing a lot of things they don't normally do.
How about the Oilers drag themselves out of last ****ing place before you fill the board with the 'playoff hockey' talk, and your theory that certain guys won't cut it?
Because it's a stupid 'tradition' the Ducks have. Maroon threw the puck in the garbage.
The funny thing is that he threw it in the garbage. He could have just taken it. But no it had to go in the garbage. And he wanted the Ducks to know it.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
How about the Oilers drag themselves out of last ****ing place before you fill the board with the 'playoff hockey' talk, and your theory that certain guys won't cut it?
The funny thing is that he threw it in the garbage. He could have just taken it. But no it had to go in the garbage. And he wanted the Ducks to know it.

I don't understand this notion or idea, that first you build a playoff team then you build a Stanley cup caliber team. It just doesn't make sense.

What you get is basically the late 90's early 2000's Toronto Maple Leafs where they had to get veterans like Roberts, Neiwendyk and many many others. Because first Mccauley was a good #2 no maybe lets get another guy, so much hesitation and no identity.

This is almost the sole reason why you get teams like the Minnesota Wild or Colorado Avalanche year after year because your instilling the idea the playoffs are the most important thing. If you crossover its how you get the Raptors who talk about winning a round, getting 50 wins, when the Cavs are talking about making it to the finals, winning it all.

Look at how fast Chicago and Pittsburgh turned it around after having horrendous seasons. This magical lets win 5 more games each year is simply put low expectations. It's akin to your boss saying this year I want you to be 5% more efficient rather than your boss giving you a swift kick in the ass and saying I know you can be one of the most productive best workers this company has - i.e. Eberle it's nice you get 25 goals every year, but we need you to do these things as well, that maybe will sacrifice your offense.

You really should listen to Mike Babcock he said when he went to Anaheim and then to Detroit he said emphatically "I want my guys talking about championships, why else do you play the game". "I want to talk about dreams, I encourage it"

If I am the coach I should be pumping my team up from day one and saying a) I don't care where we finished last year, this team has the talent we need to prove it to ourselves. I guess I'm anti-Eakins, who would take down former days of glory, but I don't want my team revering other players and other teams I certainly don't want my team thinking lets win 35 games cause we won 30 the year before. I want tough love and say I want to prove people wrong, and create us against the world. Lets win 40 games, 50 games.

Oh what now it's going to set them up for failure because to high expectations. No lets have low or no expectations at all :shakehead

This team you can tell with the addition of Maroon has no issues that are do to talent yea yea they need to add a couple more top d-man. The biggest weakness.is there a very fragile group and always have been. Everyone talks about it, at least Chia addressed it with Kassian & Maroon.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I don't understand this notion or idea, that first you build a playoff team then you build a Stanley cup caliber team. It just doesn't make sense.
Yeah I'm not arguing against building a tight team that competes all over the ice. Obviously.
Just wondering why you aren't even going to give Eberle a chance to fail at playoffs before declaring him a non-factor therein.
Or anyone on the roster for that matter. Team needs to take a few baby steps before we start worrying about what Patty Kane and the Hawks do etc.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I've liked what maroon has brought to the team but the stealing the puck and throwing it out knowing they take the puck after wins is classless, were the bottom of the NHL we lost fair and square, just leave the puck.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I've liked what maroon has brought to the team but the stealing the puck and throwing it out knowing they take the puck after wins is classless, were the bottom of the NHL we lost fair and square, just leave the puck.

I disagree. I love it.

It says **** you. We're done getting bullied in the Pacific. The rivalry with the California teams is just starting. The Flames/Canucks aren't public enemy #1 and haven't been for years. I see us and the Sharks beginning a huge rivalry. Polak is already our *****. And the Ducks will come next.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Heh, glad I had the foresight to start the thread. No guessing either. I know about this player, this personality, I know how team rallies around a player like this and draws camaraderie from his ways. Some individuals are just like that and it takes some ability at people assessment to get some of what each player will probably bring.

Maroon, and Kass particularly bringing elements this team needs so dearly. Its not just physicality either its the infectious enthusiasm, engagement in the games and the kind of energy that promotes. When you got guys like this duelling with the other bench continuously it creates engagement for the whole team. Gone are guys hanging their heads on the bench and replace with guys between shifts a bit bemused or curious about what this is. Because on a losing club they haven't seen that type of jawing for awhile. They even start doing it.

That's the engagement for the players. That we, the fans even feel it is due to how powerfully the message of a player like Maroon is transferred.

Pat Maroon wants nothing but joy here, he wants to win here. But he was exactly like that in Anaheim as well. But he's a gift here, a good one, and McLellan realizes it.

Maroon's biggest challenge in the offseason is working tirelessly to build his game for next year. The magic of a player like this erodes if he can't walk the walk as well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I think its erroneous to transpose things like classless into the competitive world of pro sport. This is not an office environment with prescribed decorum. Any frothing yelling between benches or banging sticks after theres a fight and blood on the ice I guess could be considered "classless" but this is hockey. Different rules and standards apply.

Superstition also applies. Each team has them. Maroon did this action and played with his ex teams minds. Would be a bit of a wake up call for them as well that the guy they loved just a month or two ago was giving them the gears in this way so soon after. Its Maroons message that you don't got me anymore, I don't have your back anymore, I have another teams back now and the same things you liked seeing me do to other teams I will do to you now. I like it.

That Maroon threw the puck in the garbage and said so is classic. Its not classless, its mind games. It worked too. Oilers didn't win, but they got the Ducks upset which will serve dividends eventually.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Anybody remembering Ryan Smyth in the Salt Lake City Olympics embedding the Loony into the ice of the rink?

This is that kind of mind game that Maroon did. Not on the same stature obviously but servicing superstition, getting an edge, and getting into peoples heads.

I do think the Ducks would be better served by still having Maroon then not. They made a mistake. Will see how that translates in playoffs.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I disagree. I love it.

It says **** you. We're done getting bullied in the Pacific. The rivalry with the California teams is just starting. The Flames/Canucks aren't public enemy #1 and haven't been for years. I see us and the Sharks beginning a huge rivalry. Polak is already our *****. And the Ducks will come next.

you got a good bead on this and you're bang on. This is a young cocky team starting to serve notice.

You see it all over on this latest stint of games. The Oilers stretching some of the best clubs in the NHL. Players like Drew Doughty repeatedly trying to contain and serve notice to a young McDavid who Doughty is bright enough to note will be a future significant foe. you see a brent Burns schooled by the kid. A Vinny Lecavalier undressed twice in the same game by the kid.

This team has an explosive nature of offense that is starting to scare even peak opponents. We're not seeing much fruit from that now except a really solid stretch of play against some of the best teams in the NHL. We outplayed the Ducks most of the game last night. We required Gibson to have a 5 bell night.

As McLellan stated we forced Gibson to make saves of a nature he seldom has to make every night.

Maroon stated as well if the team continues to play like this they are finding their way.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I disagree. I love it.

Exactly. It's hard to define what a guy like Maroon brings until you actually experience.

Who was the last guy this truculent the Oilers had?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad