Marner vs Rantanen

who is the better hockey player?

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
yes the actual 2nd line production at 5v5
What? He ranks #32 in NHL in even strength points even in the regular season. There are 93 1st liner forwards in NHL. Some players he beat in Even strength points include:
Auston Matthews
Matthew Tkachuk
Tyler Seguin
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Nicklas Backstrom

These are 2nd liners? In the playoffs, Rantanen is only behind Pacioretty and Stone, tied with 2 others who have played more games.

Then let's also make the point that PP goals are worth the same as ES goals, and also the point that the best PP producers in NHL tend to be extremely good players. PP success also heavily correlates into team success, so power play scoring is useful.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Oh yeah well Rantanen with 64% better Playoff production.
Also I think you mean 23% right? But yeah 77 is close to 23.
uhhhhh

marners 2.57 p1/60 is 77% more than rantanens 1.45. by raw 5v5 p1, marner's 52 is 85% more than rantanen's 28 (though that is a bit unfair to mikko as rantanen played less games)

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What? He ranks #32 in NHL in even strength points even in the regular season. There are 93 1st liner forwards in NHL. Some players he beat in Even strength points include:
Auston Matthews
Matthew Tkachuk
Tyler Seguin
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Nicklas Backstrom

These are 2nd liners? In the playoffs, Rantanen is only behind Pacioretty and Stone, tied with 2 others who have played more games.

Then let's also make the point that PP goals are worth the same as ES goals, and also the point that the best PP producers in NHL tend to be extremely good players. PP success also heavily correlates into team success, so power play scoring is useful.
he was t-69th in 5v5 p1 this year. marner? 1st.

in p1/60 among guys with 500 mins, he was 122nd. so 2nd line is pretty accurate for him. he was behind such star players as jimmy vesey, oskar sundqvist, daniel sprong, dominik kahun, and casey cizikas. now tbf OSR's numbs are a bit weird since guys split time with different teams are counted separately but even so thats not enough to boost rantanen more than a few spots.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
uhhhhh

marners 2.57 p1/60 is 77% more than rantanens 1.45. by raw 5v5 p1, marner's 52 is 85% more than rantanen's 28 (though that is a bit unfair to mikko as rantanen played less games)
Ahh you're using p1/60. Well that settles it than. Too bad I couldn't find an obscure stat to support my argument. You do know that Marners points don't go up linearly with more ice time and Babcock likely used him in a more offensive role and got him away from top competition moreso than Rantanen?

Ev strength pts
Marner-70
Rantanen-54
So 16 pts difference and Marner played 8 more games and likely less quality comp. You're picking and choosing stats. 54 pts is not 2nd line production at ev strength its 2nd line production in all situations.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Ahh you're using p1/60. Well that settles it than. Too bad I couldn't find an obscure stat to support my argument. You do know that Marners points don't go up linearly with more ice time and Babcock likely used him in a more offensive role and got him away from top competition moreso than Rantanen?

Ev strength pts
Marner-70
Rantanen-54
So 16 pts difference and Marner played 8 more games and likely less quality comp. You're picking and choosing stats. 54 pts is not 2nd line production at ev strength its 2nd line production in all situations.
upload_2019-4-30_11-26-41.png

actually marner played against significantly tougher than league avg competition

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
marner also significantly better on ice numbs. and in terms of linemates, i would argue they had pretty similar linemates, rantanen probably better ones.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I can't read those at all on my phone. Are they fwds or defense pairings. Also does it take into account offensive/defensive starts?

1. basically, in terms of forwards, marner plays noticeably more than average against forward number 1-3 of the opponent while its only really noticeable for forward 1. marner noticeably more against top 2 dmen and rantanen against top 3. thats what those images i sent mean at least in terms of qoc
2. no but marner had 34% o zone start % to rantanens 41%. also i dont think zone starts matter that much but thats besides the point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad