Marner vs Rantanen

who is the better hockey player?

• Total voters

julkki

Oct 27, 2015
Don't see the argument for Rantanen, both pass first players but Marner does it better, Marner is definitely the better playmaker and elevates others point totals whereas Rantanen's point totals are inflated by MacKinnon. Marner is closer to MacKinnon really, he's also much better defensively than Rantanen.

This is unfortunate..

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Don't see the argument for Rantanen, both pass first players but Marner does it better, Marner is definitely the better playmaker and elevates others point totals whereas Rantanen's point totals are inflated by MacKinnon. Marner is closer to MacKinnon really, he's also much better defensively than Rantanen.

I agree that Marner is better but you can't really say that Rantanen has MacKinnon without saying that Marner has Tavares.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I’ve made this comparison earlier but as someone that has watched the entirety of both careers, I would agree with this to a point but there’s another aspect of playmaking that you aren’t considering.

Both players have developed their games around playmaking, but they do it in different ways. Marner is the better “passer”, what I mean by that is that he’s more skilled in actually making passes and connecting with his teammates. Marner can thread a pass better than most, and his passes are more accurate than Rantanens. Where Rantanen excels is his vision. He is better than Marner at seeing plays develop before they actually do. Not that Marner is bad at this, but he doesn’t see the ice the same way Rantanen does.

Marner is more dynamic, while Rantanen is more cerebral. I would be more scarred of Marner off the rush for example, where I would be more scarred of Rantanen behind the net with time. Basically think of Kane vs Thornton as passers, that’s what I see when I watch these two.

Reactions: Ryuk

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Where Rantanen excels is his vision. He is better than Marner at seeing plays develop before they actually do. Not that Marner is bad at this, but he doesn’t see the ice the same way Rantanen does.

Marner is more dynamic, while Rantanen is more cerebral.

idk man

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

I live in Barrie as an Avs fan, I watch almost every game from both teams. It’s my opinion that Rantanen has the greater vision and is more cerebral. Marner is no slouch, but I do believe that a divide between the two exists.

Marner makes quicker decisions and is shiftier, but I don’t believe he has the same ability to see the game multiple plays ahead like Rantanen does. That doesn’t mean he’s worse as a playmaker, I actually think he’s better right now, it’s just something I’ve noticed watching both careers.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Can someone help me find Marner. I was looking on NHL.com stats page, I see Rantenen at #2 in Playoff points, but for some reason can't find Marner in the top 50. Page must be glitched, that site is pretty wonky.

You should switch to points-per-game view.. You'll see that Marner is right there at spot 84! (Rantanen is still (tied) second, though). :popcorn:

(Obviously Avs have had much easier opponent, only facing western conference 1st and 2nd team so far..)

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Rants is a beast but I enjoy Marner’s play a lot more. If I was choosing either as a cornerstone to build around, it’s Marner every time.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
It's very close but.. The Avs need Ranty more and I think he's abit better with a higher ceiling ultimately which whe should reach. so far each year every aspect gets better and more dominate which is rare for any player but a guy his size with that skill> Marner. Like I said though its close

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
They did.
A team which has one once in 30yrs, with questionable goaltending
Then a team with even more questionable goaltending.
Except Smith was the best player in the series? Can't blame you since the games started at 10 EST and you were probably in bed.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The statistics say Rantanen is better. Larger, more goals, more points over past 2 seasons, higher PPG both seasons, and better playoff performer thus far.

But there isnt much a gap, and I could see how once could make the Mackinnon>Tavares argument as far as linemates go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad