Marner vs Rantanen

who is the better hockey player?

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Marner. He is less reliant on the power play, has played with a lesser quality of linemates. The Colorado top line is either #1 or #2 in the league for me. Rantanen is still an elite player though, but I feel Marner gets my vote here.

Marner plays with Tavares... the linemate argument doesn't work for Marner. Plus Marner gets Auston Matthews to draw the attention away from him. Mack and Rants are the single focus every single game.

But for my actual answer it's close and I don't think you can pick wrong here, both guys are incredible but I'd homer vote Rants.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Marner plays with Tavares... the linemate argument doesn't work for Marner. Plus Marner gets Auston Matthews to draw the attention away from him. Mack and Rants are the single focus every single game.

But for my actual answer it's close and I don't think you can pick wrong here, both guys are incredible but I'd homer vote Rants.
Marner did not always have Tavares and still played really well without him. He was the heartbeat of his line last season. But you are right, it is close.

kegluu

Jan 30, 2016
I think a few posters owe you an apology. Turns out you were more correct about Rantanen than a lot of folks thought.

Really, if im not mixing posters he
- considered him 3rd/2nd liner last season when he was PPG
- considers him 2nd liner this season
- considers Laine better player than him.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Marner easy. Rantanen has showed his true level after his hot streak ended, I do not see any competition here. Marner is at least 1 tier higher
Playoff scoring (when it matter the most)

Rantanen 5 goals and 9 points in 5 games
Marner 2 goals and 4 points in 6 games

Reactions: avsfan09

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
I agree with posters saying Marner is the best Leafs, but still have Rants a bit above him (very close to too close to call, because Mitch is awesome).. Both are still young developing players, so who knows what comes in future, but Rants will always have physical edge between the two. Now that Rants is again (almost) 100% healthy, he's producing like in the first half of the season!

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
This is a winner of a poll. Close results with the added feature of guys that have different playing styles and different strengths to their games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If you only want to compare regular season stats in 2018 Rantanen had 31 goals, 56 assists and 87 points.

In 2019 Marner had 26 goals, 68 assists and 94 points.

So I guess the question is who do you think will have a better season next year?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Close. Both guys have strengths I like a lot. Marner has better vision and his playmaking abilities are better. Rantanen is bit better scorer and his overall offensive skillset is bit more balanced. Marner seems to be the catalyst in his line who drives the offense. Rantanen is better at adapting to his line mates and play to their strengths. I think Rantanen takes this with the slightest edge because of his bigger frame and more physical game added to his better scoring abilities. But next season might just as easily make me change my mind.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Marner easy. Rantanen has showed his true level after his hot streak ended, I do not see any competition here. Marner is at least 1 tier higher
Hmmm yeah while Marner showed his true level in the regular season Rantanen is showing it in the playoffs. I guess Rantanen is at least 1 tier higher in the playoffs when it matters :sarcasm:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hmmm yeah while Marner showed his true level in the regular season Rantanen is showing it in the playoffs. I guess Rantanen is at least 1 tier higher in the playoffs when it matters :sarcasm:
Yet in the 2018 playoffs Marner had 2 goals and 7 assists for 9 points in 7 games.

That same year for Colorado we saw Rantanen get 4 assists in 6 total games.

So don't judge Marner or any player on their playoff performance based on 1 year.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Yet in the 2018 playoffs Marner had 2 goals and 7 assists for 9 points in 7 games.

That same year for Colorado we saw Rantanen get 4 assists in 6 total games.

So don't judge Marner or any player on their playoff performance based on 1 year.
That’s why I’m using the sarcasm emoji buddy. It’s so easy to turn from someone after a short span of time. Rantanen somehow started slowing down then now people say Marner easy also on your stats you forgot that Rantanen has 8 less games maybe it would’ve been closer. Same with Draisaitl.. Rantanen had better stats than him last year and early this season people said Rantanen AINEC now it’s Draisaitl.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s why I’m using the sarcasm emoji buddy. It’s so easy to turn from someone after a short span of time. Rantanen somehow started slowing down then now people say Marner easy also on your stats you forgot that Rantanen has 8 less games maybe it would’ve been closer. Same with Draisaitl.. Rantanen had better stats than him last year and early this season people said Rantanen AINEC now it’s Draisaitl.
I honestly did not see the sarcasm emoji when I previously quoted you.

Reactions: Spilot23

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
too close to call is the only true answer here. Then in comes bias.

This is the only right answer in this thread. Anyone else is going to make themselves look like a biased jackass of a homer. Their production is almost dead even and their linemate quality is pretty damn close as well.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
If you only want to compare regular season stats in 2018 Rantanen had 31 goals, 56 assists and 87 points.

In 2019 Marner had 26 goals, 68 assists and 94 points.

So I guess the question is who do you think will have a better season next year?
Yeah and Ranty did it in 74 games compared to 82 and I have no doubt Ranty> Marner going forward

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Don't see the argument for Rantanen, both pass first players but Marner does it better, Marner is definitely the better playmaker and elevates others point totals whereas Rantanen's point totals are inflated by MacKinnon. Marner is closer to MacKinnon really, he's also much better defensively than Rantanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->