Marner vs Rantanen

who is the better hockey player?

• Total voters

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They are both good, I'll keep Marner and I am sure the Avs would keep Rantanen.

It is crazy how Marner somehow caught up and wend ahead of Rantanen in points. Rantanen looked like a sure thing to hit 100 points as he was far ahead at the half way mark.

Marner has been better this season though. More points, plays on the PK and does a great job at it and the difference in PP TOI/G is huge.

Marner is 128th in the league at 2:33 per game. Rantanen is top 5 in the league with over 4 mins per game and Marner still has more points.

Last edited:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Can’t go wrong with either but I’ll stick with Marner

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I remember in November or so I suggested Marner may get close to Rantanen in points or something to that effect and was told, "this is so stupid."

The exact quote:

"Marner's within six points of Rantanen right now. With a hot streak coupled with a down period for Rants, he can move right behind him, tie him or overtake him."

lol.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Imo Marner is the better player now but Mikko has the far higher ceiling of the 2 should they both reach their full potential. Its not like either of them will score drastically more than they are now but with Mikkos speed and size he can become physically dominant in a way Marner wont be able to, but that's only in theory.

Ultimately what it'll likely come down to for me is which one end up on a better contract. If 1 is 9m AAV and the other is 11 it becomes a pretty easy choice.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Looks like Marner's pulled ahead.

Crickets from the haters.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I didn't realize but Rantanen gets over 4 minutes of PP TOI a game... Marner gets 2:37.

Marner is much better.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Funny because this poll was a landslide for rantanen earlier this season

Why wouldn't it have been? Ranta was pacing for ~130 points close to the halfway mark in the season. It was pretty special - it was ok to be excited over it.

I voted option 4. Think they're both pretty close though, I like Marner a lot too.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why wouldn't it have been? Ranta was pacing for ~130 points close to the halfway mark in the season. It was pretty special - it was ok to be excited over it.

I voted option 4. Think they're both pretty close though, I like Marner a lot too.

Yeah, pacing. And he gets a minute and a half more PP time than Marner.

Marner has pulled ahead whereas Rantanen has stagnated. No reason to pick Rantanen at this point, Marner is easily the superior player. This isn't even including his defensive/PK abilities too...

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think it's super close. Marner has less pressure to produce due to the depth of Toronto, but that also likely means he doesn't get as many opportunities as Rants, while also likely getting weaker match-ups. Marner has the edge in speed and puck skill, vision and passing ability is close, shot and size favor Rantanen.

Reactions: 278 others

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Yeah, pacing. And he gets a minute and a half more PP time than Marner.

Marner has pulled ahead whereas Rantanen has stagnated. No reason to pick Rantanen at this point, Marner is easily the superior player. This isn't even including his defensive/PK abilities too...

I don't agree with "Marner is easily the superior player" Rantanen gets more PP time due to less team depth, but also has more pressure to produce while facing tougher matchups. Rantanen is good defensively as well, Bednar just prefers to keep our top line off the PK as they are relied upon to provide offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->