Marner vs Rantanen

who is the better hockey player?

• Total voters

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Yup, checks out exactly how I thought.
Marner really looks like the complete package for the Leafs maybe that’s a good thing for us concerning the contract if he’s indeed the much better player. Things might change next year or two when Avs get two good lines. As for Rantanen and Marner, they aren’t that far off IMO also how quickly things change is that quote coming from you two years ago on the Nylander vs Rantanen thread : Nylander AINEC he's easily got PPG+ potential whereas Rantanen will be a 50-55ish point player IMO.

Here’s the link if you want to look at it : Rantanen vs Nylander

Reactions: Yackiberg8

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Neither has been able to produce elite numbers without an elite center on their line. So they are both relegated to 2nd line talents for now. Ill take whoever gets the smaller contract. Im just using HF's logic here

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
As a fan that’s watched the majority of both careers, it’s a very good debate. Marner is more of a driver, and I actually think he’s a better defensive player. Rantanen is bigger obviously, and is still growing into his huge frame. Both their ability as playmakers are top notch, but they do it in different ways. Marner is more skilled and is the better “passer” (ie if they were in a competition where you need to make very accurate passes through obstacles, Marner would win for sure), with Rantanen having the better vision (Rantanen is better at seeing plays develop before they actually do).

If I had to win a playoff game tomorrow, I would pick Marner, as I think he’s further along in his development and closer to his ultimate potential than Rantanen is. 3 years from now however is a better question, as Rantanen IMO has the higher potential (although Marner’s potential is also very high).

Reactions: Economist

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
That's not impressive. Have you seen Avs play PP. It's terrible.
Mackinnon turns the puck over when entering the zone - > Mackinnon turns the puck over when entering the zone-> line change. Repeat.

Wrong.
-Tavares is better all around player for sure.
-Other team still has to shutdown more players when they play against Toronto. It's only Mackinnon and Rantanen that they have to worry when playing against the Avs.
-Rantanen watching Mackinnon making failed zone entries over and over again on PP is not a difference maker here.

He still has 12 more PPP than Marner so

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If Marner had a better shot i'd pick him for the raw offensive talent.

But because he doesn't, it's very tough to choose and i can't honestly say anyone is wrong for picking either one. Comes down to what you prefer. Speedy and flashy or size and strong on the puck.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Marner is 2nd in his entire draft, let alone vs Rantanen.
Wow I remember that people said Barzal>Marner and that J.T won't match his production playing with Marner.
Yeah I also remember people saying Nylander > Rantanen and he would be a 50-55pts ish player whereas Nylander would be a sure PPG thing. I think it's so easy to change minds after every season. Have to give the edge to Marner though but not like some people say here that it's not even close. You can easily know those who are saying "AINEC" that they never saw Rantanen play more than twice.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Well, at least Rantanen is moving up in the world.

At first, he was only able to be compared to Nylander.

He’s moved up to Marner now.

Those Nylander polls seem to have disappeared a bit.

Reactions: RareDangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad