Marner vs Rantanen

who is the better hockey player?

• Total voters

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Marner is definitely better than Rantanen, but it was closer than I ever thought it would be.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Marner has 3 more points in 2 more games played, therefore he's 10x better than Rantanen at everything.

That's pretty impressive when you factor in that Rantanen has 100 more minutes on the PP compared to Marner.

That's a HUGE chunk of time.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
They are not even remotely close. Another sad poll in AINEC territory.

Marner is way better 5 on 5 and overall. Rantanen is lucky his team gets a lot of PPs.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
That's pretty impressive when you factor in that Rantanen has 100 more minutes on the PP compared to Marner.

That's a HUGE chunk of time.
That's not impressive. Have you seen Avs play PP. It's terrible.
Mackinnon turns the puck over when entering the zone - > Mackinnon turns the puck over when entering the zone-> line change. Repeat.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They are both good, I'll keep Marner and I am sure the Avs would keep Rantanen.

It is crazy how Marner somehow caught up and wend ahead of Rantanen in points. Rantanen looked like a sure thing to hit 100 points as he was far ahead at the half way mark.

Marner has been better this season though. More points, plays on the PK and does a great job at it and the difference in PP TOI/G is huge.

Marner is 128th in the league at 2:33 per game. Rantanen is top 5 in the league with over 4 mins per game and Marner still has more points.

My fantasy team doesn't want to hear this.... :naughty: :(

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
You know this is a Leafs player poll when alot of them come here to say AINEC. Pretty sure those posters never watch hockey outside the Leafs so it's funny hearing their AINEC statement. I would say that right now Marner looks better and I have always been very high on Marner said couple times that I'm higher on him than Matthews. Lately Rantanen has been cold so as Mackinnon but I'm not worried about them as long as they start playing to get into the playoffs and keep playing like that if they make it. I can't wait how it will turn out next year when we have a competent 2nd line that we don't need to split out that top line also having Makar next season should help the forward kinda like Reilly is doing right now and I'm not saing this expecting that Makar will produce like him but man having puck moving dman like him will be a great add.

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
Rantanen easily. Marner gets to play with Tavares and much easier minutes against weaker match ups.

Massive fail.

-MacKinnon is better than Tavares
-Hyman-Marner-Tavares is our first line and goes up against the other team's best/shutdown players
-Rantanen gets much more PP time than Marner

Reactions: Yackiberg8

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Massive fail.

-MacKinnon is better than Tavares
-Hyman-Marner-Tavares is our first line and goes up against the other team's best/shutdown players
-Rantanen gets much more PP time than Marner
Wrong.
-Tavares is better all around player for sure.
-Other team still has to shutdown more players when they play against Toronto. It's only Mackinnon and Rantanen that they have to worry when playing against the Avs.
-Rantanen watching Mackinnon making failed zone entries over and over again on PP is not a difference maker here.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
They are both good, I'll keep Marner and I am sure the Avs would keep Rantanen.

It is crazy how Marner somehow caught up and wend ahead of Rantanen in points. Rantanen looked like a sure thing to hit 100 points as he was far ahead at the half way mark.

Marner has been better this season though. More points, plays on the PK and does a great job at it and the difference in PP TOI/G is huge.

Marner is 128th in the league at 2:33 per game. Rantanen is top 5 in the league with over 4 mins per game and Marner still has more points.
Pretty tough to vote for Rantanen here.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Wrong.
-Tavares is better all around player for sure.
-Other team still has to shutdown more players when they play against Toronto. It's only Mackinnon and Rantanen that they have to worry when playing against the Avs.
-Rantanen watching Mackinnon making failed zone entries over and over again on PP is not a difference maker here.
-MacKinnon is a top 10 player in the league, Tavares is close but not quite there.
-Do other teams get to put 7 players on the ice or something because they only have 1 good line or would they be up against the other teams best defensive players like Marner?
-PK minutes are tougher than PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad