• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Marner is scoring at a 14g and 54p pace.
Marner scored at a 20g 65p pace last year, a 20% increase over this year.

And you are confused as to why people are talking about regression?

Meanwhile, Fiala is scoring at a 27g 56p pace, after a rookie year where he scored at only a 24p pace. In fact, he's shown significant production improvement every year since being drafted.

As a matter of fact, I think Fiala's progression year to year shows that he's actually the one with the higher ceiling. Look at the consistent improvement he's shown:

AHL
20p in 33gp (14/15)
50p in 66gp (15/16)
19p in 22gp (16/17)

NHL
17p in 60gp (14/15, 15/16, 16/17)
35p in 51gp (17/18)

Compare that Marner's production, which has been relatively static:

OHL
126p in 63gp (14/15)
116p in 57gp (15/16)

NHL
61p in 77gp (16/17)
37p in 56gp (17/18)

Add to that the fact that Fiala is bigger, faster, and has a much better shot, and I think there is a very compelling argument that he is not only the better player today, but projects to be in the future.

wow this is embarrassing. This is really embarrassing not only for you, but the 90+ people who voted Fiala. Threads like this is why nobody takes HF seriously. People hate the Leafs so much you can't get a single objective opinion from a non-Leaf fan.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Marner is scoring at a 14g and 54p pace.
Marner scored at a 20g 65p pace last year, a 20% increase over this year.

And you are confused as to why people are talking about regression?

Meanwhile, Fiala is scoring at a 27g 56p pace, after a rookie year where he scored at only a 24p pace. In fact, he's shown significant production improvement every year since being drafted.

As a matter of fact, I think Fiala's progression year to year shows that he's actually the one with the higher ceiling. Look at the consistent improvement he's shown:

AHL
20p in 33gp (14/15)
50p in 66gp (15/16)
19p in 22gp (16/17)

NHL
17p in 60gp (14/15, 15/16, 16/17)
35p in 51gp (17/18)

Compare that Marner's production, which has been relatively static:

OHL
126p in 63gp (14/15)
116p in 57gp (15/16)

NHL
61p in 77gp (16/17)
37p in 56gp (17/18)

Add to that the fact that Fiala is bigger, faster, and has a much better shot, and I think there is a very compelling argument that he is not only the better player today, but projects to be in the future.

It's always hilarious when people talk about a player regressing when the season isn't over yet.. kinda like @BruinLVGA when he was patting his back earlier in the year for apparently "calling" Marner and Nylander regressing in their second year... Woops. Newsflash: Offensive players usually score in spurts and go through hot streaks throughout the year.

Just wondering do you still hold this opinion?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's always hilarious when people talk about a player regressing when the season isn't over yet.. kinda like @BruinLVGA when he was patting his back earlier in the year for apparently "calling" Marner and Nylander regressing in their second year... Woops. Newsflash: Offensive players usually score in spurts and go through hot streaks throughout the year.

Do I still think Fiala has the higher ceiling? Yes. He's the better goal scorer and has relied far less on PP scoring. I still expect Marner to be the better player but I think Fiala has the potential to be a top 3 winger, though I'm not sure he'll reach it.

Marner's had a nice second season, but his production levels aren't really all that far off from last year, he's had a bit more puck luck on the PP but his 5v5 production has remained fairly consistent. His confidence seemed to take a step up once Matthews went down. Bodes well for Leaf fans.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do I still think Fiala has the higher ceiling? Yes. He's the better goal scorer and has relied far less on PP scoring. I still expect Marner to be the better player but I think Fiala has the potential to be a top 3 winger, though I'm not sure he'll reach it.

Marner's had a nice second season, but his production levels aren't really all that far off from last year, he's had a bit more puck luck on the PP but his 5v5 production has remained fairly consistent. His confidence seemed to take a step up once Matthews went down. Bodes well for Leaf fans.
Fiala has a higher oiSH% on the PP than Marner does this year with the same amount of minutes. You can't credit Marner with puck luck on the PP and not Fiala. Marner's puck-luck at 5v5 has also gone down.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

What is hilarious is keyboard warriors thumping their chest with their 20/20 hindsight.

Marner has, as of now, a 0.87 ppg vs 0.79. A 10% improvement over the year before. But league's scoring is higher this year and if I remember well it was on average by 17%. So, going with the trend, but not fully.
Nylander has indeed a lower ppg than last year , completely bucking the league trend, to boot. <- regressed.

And about hindsight, how about the widespread fairy tale from you usual suspects that the Bruins were so far ahead in the standings only because they "played bad teams" & a horrible schedule in March would take care of them, meaning they would fall back to earth?
9-2-3 in March (750 pts%, 123 points pace), 105 points (better than anything the Leafs ever did in their whole history) & with the chance to be 1st overall in the East if they beat Tampa tonight. All this while having ~200 men games lost.
Thumping your chest about this forecast? Guess not.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Nylander has indeed a lower ppg than last year , completely bucking the league trend, to boot. < regressed

LMAO. This is a silly comment, of course. He had 22 goals and 61 points last year, and should have maybe 19 goals and 58-59 points this year. That is a microscopic difference and NOT a regression, to anyone who is being fair or has half a brain. Nylander is right in the same "zone" and has done that without Matthews for 20+ games. That sure bucks trends.

As for the Bruins......they're doing great, of course. They're not as DEEP as the Leafs, but are doing much better, for sure.

:)

Reactions: ThewThew

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
What is hilarious is keyboard warriors thumping their chest with their 20/20 hindsight.

Marner has, as of now, a 0.87 ppg vs 0.79. A 10% improvement over the year before. But league's scoring is higher this year and if I remember well it was on average by 17%. So, going with the trend, but not fully.
Nylander has indeed a lower ppg than last year , completely bucking the league trend, to boot. <- regressed.

And about hindsight, how about the widespread fairy tale from you usual suspects that the Bruins were so far ahead in the standings only because they "played bad teams" & a horrible schedule in March would take care of them, meaning they would fall back to earth?
9-2-3 in March (750 pts%, 123 points pace), 105 points (better than anything the Leafs ever did in their whole history) & with the chance to be 1st overall in the East if they beat Tampa tonight. All this while having ~200 men games lost.

Who cares about the Bruins this thread is Fiala vs Marner lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Maybe the problem isn't that everyone else has hindsight, it's that you lack foresight. People were anticipating marner to tear it up long before it happened

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Atta boy. Fight an incorrect opinion to the death. Never concede.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Don't derail another thread. Try to stay on topic, thanks.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
To be fair, I just checked that posters history, and they had NUMEROUS posts (pre draft) saying that Eichel is in the same tier as McDavid and should absolutely be considered to go first overall

Can’t make this stuff up folks
Whiskey has a serious bias towards American-born players.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Nylander has indeed a lower ppg than last year , completely bucking the league trend, to boot. p>

Gotta give credit where its due. I expected the Bruins to have a bad March/Apr. Its not like you can blame me. We all saw the injuries and the crazy schedule.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Maybe the problem isn't that everyone else has hindsight, it's that you lack foresight. People were anticipating marner to tear it up long before it happened

"people" = Leafs fans.

The same fans who predicted Nylander to "tear it up" too. Which didn't happen one bit. How's those same people foresight on this one? Thought so.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
"people" = Leafs fans.

The same fans who predicted Nylander to "tear it up" too. Which didn't happen one bit. How's those same people foresight on this one? Thought so.
Pretty good. He's likely to finish top 10 in the whole league in 5v5 assists, which is impressive as hell. Good year for the Leafs I'd say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad