Votes: 92 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
but its not a recency bias. the recence bias was picking fiala when they both had similar point totals.
Marner absolutely destroyed Fiala as rookies with 61-16 pts. If there was any recency bias, it was in favor of fiala.

Marner has a 0.77ppg vs 0.47ppg for Fiala. This poll should have been a landslide but a leaf is involved so hf board prevails again

It's a 63% favour for Marner, what do you want? 98? Go outside and get some fresh air.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well......Marner destroyed Fiala in their rookie seasons, AND he's beating him in their sophomore seasons. How many times does the guy have to beat the other guy before people start being fair and unbiased about them? More than two times? Shall we circle back to this thread at this time next year, when Marner is beating him for the 3rd time, to REALLY discuss it's meaningful relevance?

He's "beating him" in terms of point pace, but last I checked that's not the end all be all.

For example, Fiala has more goals and primary points despite playing 4 less games, and is actually a plus player. He leads his team in goals, 5v5 goals, and 5v5 points.

Fiala is on pace for 28 goals and 56 points +10, while Marner is on pace for 17 goals and 60 points -10. It's hardly clear which player is having the better season.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
but its not a recency bias. the recence bias was picking fiala when they both had similar point totals.
Marner absolutely destroyed Fiala as rookies with 61-16 pts. If there was any recency bias, it was in favor of fiala.

Marner has a 0.77ppg vs 0.47ppg for Fiala. This poll should have been a landslide but a leaf is involved so hf board prevails again
I'm arguing in your team's favor. I'm not sure how you came to a different conclusion.

For one, the poll asks who has been better this season, not who's the better player going forward. In my opinion, the better player going forward is Marner, but my answer to the poll was Fiala.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He's "beating him" in terms of point pace, but last I checked that's not the end all be all.

For example, Fiala has more goals and primary points despite playing 4 less games, and is actually a plus player. He leads his team in goals, 5v5 goals, and 5v5 points.

Fiala is on pace for 28 goals and 56 points +10, while Marner is on pace for 17 goals and 60 points -10. It's hardly clear which player is having the better season.

Um........wrong. That IS the be all/end all actually. At the end of the year, the guy with the most points wins. That's why Crosby has been considered the best in the league, and Ovechkin has always been considered a good goal scorer, but not as good. Are you arguing that Ovechkin is as great as Crosby? I doubt you would do that. But keep trying to twist it to suit your argument, in this thread......it's amusing.

It's really very simple. 60 > 56.

Yay.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Um........wrong. That IS the be all/end all actually. At the end of the year, the guy with the most points wins. That's why Crosby has been considered the best in the league, and Ovechkin has always been considered a good goal scorer, but not as good. Are you arguing that Ovechkin is as great as Crosby? I doubt you would do that. But keep trying to twist it to suit your argument, in this thread......it's amusing.

It's really very simple. 60 > 56.

Yay.

Ok, so I guess Draisaitl > Matthews?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Oh so points aren't the end all be all?

One’s a winger playing with a top3 center in the league, the other is a center playing with Nylander.

One’s in his fourth season, the other is in his second.

One drives his own offence, the other doesn’t (to even close to the same level)

This is pretty pointless, you know your assertions are trolling.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
One’s a winger playing with a top3 center in the league, the other is a center playing with Nylander.

One’s in his fourth season, the other is in his second.

One drives his own offence, the other doesn’t (to even close to the same level)

This is pretty pointless, you know your assertions are trolling.

Well it sounds like points aren't the end all be all. Sounds like context matters. That's my point (Matthews > Draisaitl IMO).

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Well it sounds like points aren't the end all be all. Sounds like context matters. That's my point (Matthews > Draisaitl IMO).
The comparable you presented isn’t in the same realm as this poll for reasons I stated. But no, points aren’t the be all end all. When the difference between the two players is marginal, points will have more bearing though.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

This thread compares 2nd year player Mitch Marner to 2nd year player Kevin Fiala.

So far for these guys with the same level of experience in their careers.......,Marner has more assists, more PPP, more PPG, more GWG, more points. More goals too, but whatever. ;)

He wins.

Trying to compare Matthews to Draisaitl is silly and has nothing to do with this. So I won't.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The comparable you presented isn’t in the same realm as this poll for reasons I stated. But no, points aren’t the be all end all. When the difference between the two players is marginal, points will have more bearing though.

This thread compares 2nd year player Mitch Marner to 2nd year player Kevin Fiala.

So far for these guys with the same level of experience in their careers.......,Marner has more assists, more PPP, more PPG, more GWG, more points. More goals too, but whatever. ;)

He wins.

Trying to compare Matthews to Draisaitl is silly and has nothing to do with this. So I won't.

Ok, so how about comparing first year Barzal to 2nd year Matthews. Points are the end all be all, so Barzal > Matthews?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Ok, so how about comparing first year Barzal to 2nd year Matthews. Points are the end all be all, so Barzal > Matthews?

LMAO. You're really desperate to make some kind of point, huh?

Barzal is a fantastic player and he may very well end up being better than Matthews. Who knows? He's certainly making a STRONG argument for it.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
According to the logic presented & parameters used, that would be the result.

Barzal is pretty dope. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him turn out as good or better than Matthews.

Think at least a few people in this thread are relying a bit too much on raw numbers to form their opinions about Marner vs. Fiala though... Even you brought up the PPG argument before Marner’s 5 point game.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Barzal is pretty dope. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him turn out as good or better than Matthews.

Think at least a few people in this thread are relying a bit too much on raw numbers to form their opinions about Marner vs. Fiala though... Even you brought up the PPG argument before Marner’s 5 point game.

It's hard to gauge a couple of wingers with good but not incredible years. Nothing that stands out right away. Ppg is the first obvious choice, then. Fiala has been steady, no 5 points games to skew stuff. I like his game too, he is a smallish but very thick/solid player with very good instincts and a very good shot, hard & precise. Work ethic seems a strong point too. Plus he actually had to come back from a serious injury last year (broke his leg in the playoffs): I just can't help but root for the kid.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Holy crap, Marner has taken his play to the next level since he started playing with Kadri.

Fiala might not even get 51 Points this year.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Because he's a Leafs player. Anyone from Toronto is shoved down peoples throats so much that they become underrated because everyone gets sick of hearing about them.

I don't think theres been a single auston matthews thread on the leafs board in months, other than the injury thread. its a false narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad