• KV22

Votes: 92 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Haven't seen much of Marner this year, but I wouldn't trade Fiala for him so I'm going to go a bit homer here and take the guy who is scoring more goals in fewer games.

Reactions: 1 person

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I liked Fiala his draft year. I recall making a Zetterberg comparison for him. And I think I had him at #10 OA in my rankings. Always liked him, he seems to have found his footing now. Looked very good last night in Toronto.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Is "younger" really much of a positive for one and negative for the other when they are both in their very-early-20s and only 11 months apart?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Is "younger" really much of a positive for one and negative for the other when they are both in their very-early-20s and only 11 months apart?
It depends on how you look at it. For Marner, it’s his physical immaturity that’s held him back. He’s only in the NHL because he’s so talented in spite of it. 98% of players with his build are sent through their entire junior careers and let season while they physically mature. Give him till he’s 22-23.

Marner’s upside is a ppg player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Haven't seen much of Marner this year, but I wouldn't trade Fiala for him so I'm going to go a bit homer here and take the guy who is scoring more goals in fewer games.

Fiala is a faster skater, he also looks thicker than I last recall him. He certainly has the advantage goal scoring wise. Marner looks like he is never going to get thicker, since he was drafted his physique is relatively the same. Not sure he will ever put on the core that will make him hard to play against. His playmaking is the advantage in the comparison of the 2. I see them as very comparable players. The OP did ask for this year. And Fiala would be the correct choice right now.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I guess and I don't have an issue with people picking Marner over Fiala, but how much more "physically mature" do you think he will get over the next two or three years? I'm genuinely asking since I'm not really familiar with his frame. Is he broad-shouldered, just skinny or something?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
For context:
- Fiala... 0.69 ppg... On pace over 82 games for 27 goals / 29 assists = 56 points
- Marner... 0.66 ppg... On pace over 82 games for 15 goals / 39 assists = 54 points.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
4th liner Marner compared to Fiala? Oh, it's going Marner's way for name recognition.
I'm kidding, but Fiala is better this season, goals are better than assists when the overall production is near each other. You would want a guy who puts up near 30 than a guy who puts up 20 + assists.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I guess and I don't have an issue with people picking Marner over Fiala, but how much more "physically mature" do you think he will get over the next two or three years? I'm genuinely asking since I'm not really familiar with his frame. Is he broad-shouldered, just skinny or something?
He's 6' and like 165 pounds so I think he can put on a lot more weight. Any hockey player who's skinnier than me has a lot of room for growth

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
He's 6' and like 165 pounds so I think he can put on a lot more weight. Any hockey player who's skinnier than me has a lot of room for growth

Maybe, but not necessarily. Putting on weight in a healthy manner, as an athlete would be expected to do, isn't always a guarantee. For instance, if he has a similar frame to Patrick Kane, I think it's reasonable to expect Marner will not get much heavier than he is now, assuming he is actually 175lbs. Some people just aren't built in a way that they can put on substantial weight without becoming obese. Of course, the Patrick Kane example, along with plenty of others, shows that one doesn't need to be very big to be very effective. If I'm not mistaken, he was drafted at 160lbs. If the 175 figure is correct, he's at least shown the ability to put on some weight. How much he can put on and be healthy remains to be seen.

As an anecdote, I was around Marner's size when I was his age (71.5 inches, 165-170lbs). When I got my diet and work out routine tuned to where they needed to be I was able to put on ~30 lbs, though it took a while. It's definitely not impossible in general, but I do think it depends heavily on body type (I've always been a broad-shouldered guy so even when I was 165ish lbs I didn't look terribly skinny).

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Maybe, but not necessarily. Putting on weight in a healthy manner, as an athlete would be expected to do, isn't always a guarantee. For instance, if he has a similar frame to Patrick Kane, I think it's reasonable to expect Marner will not get much heavier than he is now, assuming he is actually 175lbs. Some people just aren't built in a way that they can put on substantial weight without becoming obese. Of course, the Patrick Kane example, along with plenty of others, shows that one doesn't need to be very big to be very effective. If I'm not mistaken, he was drafted at 160lbs. If the 175 figure is correct, he's at least shown the ability to put on some weight. How much he can put on and be healthy remains to be seen.

As an anecdote, I was around Marner's size when I was his age (71.5 inches, 165-170lbs). When I got my diet and work out routine tuned to where they needed to be I was able to put on ~30 lbs, though it took a while. It's definitely not impossible in general, but I do think it depends heavily on body type (I've always been a broad-shouldered guy so even when I was 165ish lbs I didn't look terribly skinny).
In my opinion, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that Marner won't put on much more than a few more pounds. For him, "strength" is likely to come in the form of Kane and Gaudreau who are able to use their smarts to win puck battles. He has gotten a little bit bigger since he was drafted, but he's not going to fill out the way that Nylander did (kid's got huge legs). I'm just going off pictures here, but I don't think Marner is very broad either. I expect him to always remain "small" in the NHL. He's already an elite athlete, so I expect his muscle baseline is much higher than yours was, so he doesn't have anywhere near as much room for improvement.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Marner is pretty skinny and you can tell it does hold him back that he can get pushed around so easily at times. I don't expect him to get up close to 200, but even going up to 185 would make a big difference for him in that regard. The big thing is if he can maintain his explosiveness while putting on mass

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Marner is pretty skinny and you can tell it does hold him back that he can get pushed around so easily at times. I don't expect him to get up close to 200, but even going up to 185 would make a big difference for him in that regard. The big thing is if he can maintain his explosiveness while putting on mass

An elusive 185-190 lb Marner should be a scary thought for the rest of the league. His shot will only improve with time/muscle mass as well.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

It's always a hot topic when it comes to discussing Matthews/Laine. Not sure that it should be though, and if it is, where's the cutoff date? When they are 25 and 26? 37 and 38?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I doubt he builds much more than some muscle. He wont be getting any taller.

I think the physical immaturity is blown out of proportion. Hes had an year with NHL commodities, I doubt he gets much bigger than 10-15 pounds of muscle by the time he is 25-26. If that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad