Speculation: Marner or Nylander?

Who would you prefer to trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You can get players like Nylander alot easier then marner. Marner makes more because he is a better player. You trade nylander plus what ever else to get someone to pair with mo. Then you look to move players like johnson kapanen and kerfoot for a 3c who is excellent defensively and with the remaining cap sign tanev or brodie to pair with muzzin.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
putting your biases aside, who do you feel brought more value relative to their contract this series, Marner or Nylander?
I know you didnt ask me so sorry for butting in. Marner had a much bigger impact then willy. Not just points but our pk was perfect and he was a threat every shift while killing those penalties.

Reactions: ACC1224

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
can you explain how Nylander was first in the league in scoring goals from the front of the net if he's a coward who avoids contact? Or how he took more hits in the series against Columbus than Marner?
Nylander is total crap and disappears in the playoffs and is soft and avoids contqct but he will get the leafs a top pair defensemen when he is traded.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I know you didnt ask me so sorry for butting in. Marner had a much bigger impact then willy. Not just points but our pk was perfect and he was a threat every shift while killing those penalties.
I dont want to pay 11m for a pk'er. They both had the same points. Nylander had 2 goals, Marner had 0.

Reactions: MJK and biotk

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I dont want to pay 11m for a pk'er.
You and I both know he does a lot more then pk. He is 23 years old still just a kid. When I look at him I don't see Patrick kane I see marty st louis. We need to be patient with him and Matthew's because I believe they both are franchise players but mitch needs more time wether its physically mentally or both. Willys issue isnt size its reluctance to battle. He will go to the dirty areas to score but that's about it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. To be fair though Nylander was inexplicably moved to C and hadn’t played there all year.
There were a lot of disappointments in the qualifying but Nylanders disinterest would top most lists.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. To be fair though Nylander was inexplicably moved to C and hadn’t played there all year.
There were a lot of disappointments in the qualifying but Nylanders disinterest would top most lists.
I agree as well. I believe he will also provide the right kick in the pants to the rest of the leafs when he is traded.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You and I both know he does a lot more then pk. He is 23 years old still just a kid. When I look at him I don't see Patrick kane I see marty st louis. We need to be patient with him and Matthew's because I believe they both are franchise players but mitch needs more time wether its physically mwntallybor both. Willys issue isnt size its reluctance to battle. He will go to the dirty areas to score but that's about it.
What else does he do? Hes not some selke caliber winger like some make him out to be. Hes an elite regular season producer who disappears against tight checking playoff teams.

Reactions: MJK

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
What else does he do? Hes not some selke caliber winger like some make him out to be. Hes an elite regular season producer who disappears against tight checking playoff teams.
He is not a finished product yet. He is also a year younger then willy and much less physically mature. I cant get behind trading a franchise talent for a non franchise return so that mitch can put up 90 to 100 points in his prime on another team. Willy lacks the drive truly great players in this league have. If he had it he would be amazing but he doesn't and sadly I don't believe he ever will.

Reactions: ACC1224

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He is not a finished product yet. He is also a year younger then willy and much less physically mature. I cant get behind trading a franchise talent for a non franchise return so that mitch can put up 90 to 100 points in his prime on another team. Willy lacks the drive truly great players in this league have. If he had it he would be amazing but he doesn't and sadly I don't believe he ever will.
Tbh I'm kind of over what this core does in the regular season. This is the 2nd year in a row Mitch has disappointed in the playoffs when hes played against a defense of large phyical checkers. I am 100% not ok with paying 11m to a winger who cant play up to par vs these types of teams.

Reactions: MJK

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Tbh I'm kind of over what this core does in the regular season. This is the 2nd year in a row Mitch has disappointed in the playoffs when hes played against a defense of large phyical checkers. I am 100% not ok with paying 11m to a winger who cant play up to par vs these types of teams.
Again the kid is 23, he will improve because he has the drive to improve. I don't see the same drive with willy.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I agree as well. I believe he will also provide the right kick in the pants to the rest of the leafs when he is traded.

Don't understand why some think Marner played fine, bc he didnt.
Willie is no saint either as he also didn't played fine.
Both players are the biggest disappointments in the 5 games series. Contracts aside. Marner and Willie are players the Leafs counting on to perform and they did not. If they are role players like Kerfoot, Kap, Soup, Engvall...Then we can say they played fine bc thats what expected of role players.
Their performances are unacceptable and they just need to get better.
I don't think trading one of them away will help the others realize they need to do better. The reality is they will probably be disappointed if Marner or/and Willie are traded but I doubt they would even care. The player getting traded will most likely turn a corner and become a better player as he actually has a chip on his shoulder, at the very least, he will be all fire up when playing against the Leafs.
The style that Marner and Willie just won't cut it when it comes to teams like BJs in the playoffs.
Although it is true that the team as a whole needs to know how to kill off a game but I doubt they will have any success against TB. Marner and Willie just need to get better and adopt a style that can be a difference maker in the playoffs.

The more I read Muz statements, the more I think the culture in the dressing room needs adjustment. The only difference between us and teams like Sabres or Wings or Sens is the fact that we have enough offensive talents to be consider a playoff team.

Reactions: Faltorvo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Both players are the biggest disappointments in the 5 games series. Contracts aside. Marner and Willie are players the Leafs counting on to perform and they did not. If they are role players like Kerfoot, Kap, Soup, Engvall...Then we can say they played fine bc thats what expected of role players.
I don't think trading one of them away will help the others realize they need to do better. The reality is they will probably be disappointed if Marner or/and Willie are traded but I doubt they would even care. The player getting traded will most likely turn a corner and become a better player as he actually has a chip on his shoulder, at the very least, he will be all fire up when playing against the Leafs.
The style that Marner and Willie just won't cut it when it comes to teams like BJs in the playoffs.
Although it is true that the team as a whole needs to know how to kill off a game but I doubt they will have any success against TB. Marner and Willie just need to get better and adopt a style that can be a difference maker in the playoffs.

The more I read Muz statements, the more I think the culture in the dressing room needs adjustment. The only difference between us and teams like Sabres or Wings or Sens is the fact that we have enough offensive talents to be consider a playoff team.
Marner needs to be better no doubt. He was better than Nylander is what I believe most are saying.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Again the kid is 23, he will improve because he has the drive to improve. I don't see the same drive with willy.
Zero points at 5v5 this year and now 11 games without a playoff goal. His shot hasnt improved and hes still built like a toddler. How often do players with those physical deficits make big strides past 23?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012

Marners potential age and his drive are why I keep him and trade nylander. It's that simple.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I have heard a lot about Nylander's work ethic and how he's often the first guy on the ice and the last guy off the ice, and how hard he works in the gym. I have never heard anything close to that about Marner, and you can see it in their games. Nylander is now a monster in front of the net and on the boards, and Marner still looks like a junior player

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Zero points at 5v5 this year and now 11 games without a playoff goal. His shot hasnt improved and hes still built like a toddler. How often do players with those physical deficits make big strides past 23?
The ones who have already put up a 90 point season and would have this year if it wasnt for missed time and the stoppage. Willy is no where near the player marner is and that's with an entire year of development over mitch.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, have you notice any improvements in Marner's shot or his strength, arguably two of his biggest weaknesses in his game over the past FOUR years?
Have you notice where Willy scored his goals before and where he scored his goals now, and how he used to miss the net because he tried to pick corners and how he just bang in shots now.
You can say Willie doesn't like contact and all, but it is unfair to say Willie has no drive to improve his game while Marner really have not improve his weaknesses.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Honestly, have you notice any improvements in Marner's shot or his strength, arguably two of his biggest weaknesses in his game over the past FOUR years?
Have you notice where Willy scored his goals before and where he scored his goals now, and how he used to miss the net because he tried to pick corners and how he just bang in shots now.
You can say Willie doesn't like contact and all, but it is unfair to say Willie has no drive to improve his game while Marner really have not improve his weaknesses.
Your entitled to your opinion but I believe trading marner for less then a stellar return will set the leafs back a decade.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner needs to be better no doubt. He was better than Nylander is what I believe most are saying.
Honestly, they are both bad in my opinion. And it really doesn't matter if Marner played better than Willie or Willie played better than Marner. They both underperformed.

Reactions: MJK and ACC1224

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
You can get players like Nylander alot easier then marner. Marner makes more because he is a better player. You trade nylander plus what ever else to get someone to pair with mo. Then you look to move players like johnson kapanen and kerfoot for a 3c who is excellent defensively and with the remaining cap sign tanev or brodie to pair with muzzin.
Pretty much this, both are great players, but a lot of people have had his contract cloud their view of just how good Marner is. Marner is a top 10 winger in the NHL, and plays in all situations on both special teams. He’s a SPECIAL player no matter how many people want to say he’s not living up to his contract or putting the brunt of the lack of team success on him. You don’t trade Mitch Marner’s and improve.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marners potential age and his drive are why I keep him and trade nylander. It's that simple.

Your entitled to your opinion but I believe trading marner for less then a stellar return will set the leafs back a decade.

I think thats the point. I don't think the Leafs should trade Marner or Willie without proper return. Don't think anyone is suggesting to trade them away for nothing.
Don't understand why Leafs need to trade one of them as a cap dump bc they are far from being a cap dump.
IF Marner or Willie are traded, they will be pretty good returns and won't be for a whole bunch of 3rd liners.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Honestly, they are both bad in my opinion. And it really doesn't matter if Marner played better than Willie or Willie played better than Marner. They both underperformed.
Sure they did no one is debating that. But if you move marner you might as well trade Matthew's as well because in 4 years from now when it comes time to re sign he will look at the forward group and see a 60 point tavares and a 70 point nylander. Not to enticing. This doesn't even take into account that any trade with mitch this offseason will be a loss in regards to value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad