Speculation: Marner or Nylander?

Who would you prefer to trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
It seems like everyone is convinced that one of those two need to go moving forward. Im curious to see what the fanbase thinks here.

1. Who would you trade? Why would you keep then other one you don’t want to trade?
2. Who will get traded (most likely)?
3. Would you trade tavares before those if you could?

I’ll start:
1. Marner. Too expensive and can get a really good defenceman for him. Nylander is much cheaper and can switch to center once john slows down in a couple of years.
2. Nylander before marner. But I also doubt either gets traded.
3. Probably......

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I'd rather have Marner, unless your in a scenario where your getting Doughty retained and somehow have enough to sign Byfuglien and hes somehow in shape.

But thats extremely unlikely.

Reactions: howlman

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nylander is the guy you keep. Contract is much more friendly. Media thinks Marner is close to Matthews in terms of play (LOL) so he could get a massive return.

Marner will get traded and it may get expedited if we win the lottery, otherwise we may need to wait a year or two to trade him if we want a one for one type return.

If not, Detroit would happily take a guy like Marner for multiple assets including their picks but I wouldn’t do this unless we win Lafreniere.

Reactions: Just Rude

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Should be a poll.
Have a pretty good idea of the result but would be interesting none the less.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I say both. Too sick and tired of having this Marner or Willie debate.

Marner
1. His cap hit. No team can win with three players over 10+mil. Since AM and JT are C and actually showed up plus they are can play a good defensive game even when they can’t get going offensively. You keep those two and trade Marner.
2. Marner by no means is a cap dump.
If he is traded, it won’t be for another young player or player his age due to his cap. Most likely be a combination of a vet with a high cap, 1st rounder and prospect.
Ideal trade partner is another team that got a vet and want to start the rebuild or a team who lacks offensive punch
Good thing is Pens, Oilers, Preds, and Panthers are all teams that need some sort of retool and they all have players with a high cap too.

Willie

1. He is going to net more than people think
2. His caphit is reasonable if Marner is traded. But if the Marner trade return a vet fwd with Cap, just don’t see keeping Willie around.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Marner goes. That contract and that agent in 5 years, no thank you.

Atleast you can have Nylander score goals in the playoffs and play center if given a situation to succeed in. Tavares won't be a center for all of his contract.

Lafreniere Matthews Nylander
Robertson Tavares Hyman
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Clifford Engvall Spezza
Korshkov

If McDavid or Eichel want out, how many teams offering up core young players for them? Not many better than Marner.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If we get Laf than marner should be dealt.

If we dont than I'd deal nylander. Keep the better and higher ceiling player and hope marner works out some of the kinks in his game.

I'd he curious if hurricanes would have any interest in a mylander sign and trade for Hamilton. Get Hamilton and give him a 7 million deal for willy. Than perhaps you can deal marner too and use that capspace on Pietrangelo this year. Wouldnt mind running this lineup.

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Mik-JT-Johnsson
Roberson-Kerfoot-Barbonov
Clifford-Spezza-Engvall

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Muzzin-Hamilton
Sandin-Holl/lilijgren

Greiss
Campbell

Dump andersieve and dermott for picks and cap space and run a tandem with greiss and Campbell

Our prospect pool could be rebuilt mostly through a marner deal. Something like

Marner to LA

For turcotte, bjornfot and a 2021 1st and a 1 year cap dump

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I say both. Too sick and tired of having this Marner or Willie debate.

Marner
1. His cap hit. No team can win with three players over 10+mil. Since AM and JT are C and actually showed up plus they are can play a good defensive game even when they can’t get going offensively. You keep those two and trade Marner.
2. Marner by no means is a cap dump.
If he is traded, it won’t be for another young player or player his age due to his cap. Most likely be a combination of a vet with a high cap, 1st rounder and prospect.
Ideal trade partner is another team that got a vet and want to start the rebuild or a team who lacks offensive punch
Good thing is Pens, Oilers, Preds, and Panthers are all teams that need some sort of retool and they all have players with a high cap too.

Willie

1. He is going to net more than people think
2. His caphit is reasonable if Marner is traded. But if the Marner trade return a vet fwd with Cap, just don’t see keeping Willie around.

Trade both of them and ideally someone like Ekholm and Duchense for Marner and Lilly,cap actually works.
Then trade Willie for a Dman and some picks.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Nylander is the guy you keep. Contract is much more friendly. Media thinks Marner is close to Matthews in terms of play (LOL) so he could get a massive return.

Marner will get traded and it may get expedited if we win the lottery, otherwise we may need to wait a year or two to trade him if we want a one for one type return.

If not, Detroit would happily take a guy like Marner for multiple assets including their picks but I wouldn’t do this unless we win Lafreniere.
Detroit is not trading any high picks for Marner - what does he help them accomplish before his deal runs out?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Marner was much better defensively. Think if the Leafs had a big tough LW going to the net would of helped tremendously against a team that keeps you on the outside.
Nylander only had 1 less goal even-strength then McDavid at $6.9/season. He did his part.
Tavares... well if you sort the NHL centers since 2012, his first playoff experience to now... he sums up as the 2nd WORST +/-, get's paid $11/season, is hitting his 30's with
five more years on his contract.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Detroit is not trading any high picks for Marner - what does he help them accomplish before his deal runs out?

He’s young just like Larkin and the pick they got isn’t going to help them any time soon. 4th in this draft isn’t a great place to be. You won’t get a Marner type player there.

I wouldn’t trade Marner for picks anyways unless we get Lafreniere.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
He’s young just like Larkin and the pick they got isn’t going to help them any time soon. 4th in this draft isn’t a great place to be. You won’t get a Marner type player there.

I wouldn’t trade Marner for picks anyways unless we get Lafreniere.
yeah no way you can get a marner at 4th overall

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I would trade which ever one can get the 1 RHD that the team needs. Unless one of them is a locker room problem in which case you prioritize getting rid of that player. My preference would be for Marner to go, and I have wanted him off this team since the farce around his contract, but honestly I don't care - make the best trade for this team.

As a note - I see no chance that either is getting traded for just picks and prospects to free up enough cap space to sign Pietro. I don't see Pietro coming here anyway, and at 30, I don't love the idea of having Pietro on a big money contract until he is 37. But, regardless to me there is no way you are trading Marner without at least 6M in contracts coming back. No one who can do that would want to.

My target would be Marner for Ekblad. Big, young, #1 who is an excellent all around D, has put up big numbers despite minimal PP1 time. I think he is on the cusp of reaching another level. And he is signed for another 5 years. Cap savings would be almost 3.5M

Last edited:
Reactions: MJK and freshwind

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Marner was much better defensively. Think if the Leafs had a big tough LW going to the net would of helped tremendously against a team that keeps you on the outside.
Nylander only had 1 less goal even-strength then McDavid at $6.9/season. He did his part.
Tavares... well if you sort the NHL centers since 2012, his first playoff experience to now... he sums up as the 2nd WORST +/-, get's paid $11/season, is hitting his 30's with
five more years on his contract.

Tavares was comfortably the second best player on this team behind Matthews. They both showed up. Can’t say that for Marner or Nylander. Both looked out of place, couldn’t generate much in traffic and just don’t seem ready to be able to take responsibility and play on their own line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad